Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, credit Joe Barry for dialing up a fine game plan as what has to be as a "lame duck" coordinator. I have to believe he knows the next loss is likely his last game as DC.

But, let's say they find a way past the Bears and shock the world against the Cowboys. They win both games the same way they beat the Lions and Chiefs. Find themselves playing in San Francisco. At that point, I wake up...

But, if they get that far, and the defense puts up a fight against the 49ers, does JB stay?

Put different: How deep a run would the Packers have to make for Joe Barry to stay on as DC?
Adding: Keep in mind our expectations for this season.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Put different: How deep a run would the Packers have to make for Joe Barry to stay on as DC?
Depends on the score. I think you have to look at it purely in terms of the defense, not wins and losses. If we somehow manage to totally dominate a playoff game like last night, we would probably end up keeping him. If our offense has to win a high-scoring shootout, he's gone.

Either way, IMO he should be gone anyway. The outcome of a game or two doesn't mitigate his past performance. It also doesn't guarantee future success. A couple weeks ago, MLF said he was going to have more of a hand on the defensive side of things. Good chance that some of the changes we've seen recently have been more a credit to MLF.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Win the next 5 games by shutouts with less than 300 yards of offense allowed. He has some serious doubts to overcome.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Show where I said Barry is good. He needed to be fired long time ago

Stop the bs 1 time qb starter then was let go. Because that is only you trying to be a *****...Yes you are trying to be a ***** when you don't need to be.

We all want Barry gone.. But your stats shouldn't be the used the way you want because they aren't attainable. If you use worse game for all teams, then you are being consistent

But this is a stupid *** argument and you won't admit your way has a fault..its how you have been for years

No wonder I've had you on ignore

Time to go back there
I can only infer what you are talking about because he’s been on ignore for quite some time lol.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
definitely not San Francisco… they have the first round bye.

Philly's D is a hot mess right now. (Granted, they fired their D coordinator a few weeks back so, I'm shocked that they aren't the #1 D in the NFL since removing the DC near the end of the season cures all..)

Our offense presently is playing playoff caliber. If we are in, I'm not thinking that we are just going to get blown out by whomever we play save for SF.

Last edited:

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anybody know what Joe Berry's contract looks like? Is this the final year?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eagles have lost 4 of their last 5 games and we pummeled the Lions on Thanksgiving. What makes you think we would have no chance against them?
Youth playing on the road in a playoff game against a franchise QB. Now they could make an impressive showing. Right now I would focus on the Bears who had to get through a stretch without Fields. Otherwise, they may be playing for a spot this week.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay has the #14 defense in the league as far as keeping the other team from scoring. That sky is not falling

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
was the D that good yesterday or was it that the Viqueens did not want to play?
Little of both. But you have to realize that what the Vikings did last night was start Scott Tolzien and replace him with Brett Hundley. Even Joe Barry might figure that out.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Little of both. But you have to realize that what the Vikings did last night was start Scott Tolzien and replace him with Brett Hundley. Even Joe Barry might figure that out.
They hung 24 on the Lions the week before.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They hung 24 on the Lions the week before.
And almost beat them. But Mullins had started several games and was prepping. Giving him the hook and then putting him in there again when it is 23-3 can backfire and it did. If we were facing Mullins or Hall in the first Viking game we likely win.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, credit Joe Barry for dialing up a fine game plan as what has to be as a "lame duck" coordinator. I have to believe he knows the next loss is likely his last game as DC.

But, let's say they find a way past the Bears and shock the world against the Cowboys. They win both games the same way they beat the Lions and Chiefs. Find themselves playing in San Francisco. At that point, I wake up...

But, if they get that far, and the defense puts up a fight against the 49ers, does JB stay?

Keeping in mind, also, that expectations were low because of and essentially rookie QB and no proven receivers. The expectation was that the D would keep games competative.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keeping in mind, also, that expectations were low because of and essentially rookie QB and no proven receivers. The expectation was that the D would keep games competative.
And they clearly have
8 wins and how many losses under one score?
Not arguing to keep Barry
But deeming GB’s defense a dumpster fire is not reality
We top half just outside the top 1/3

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
huh? what game are you talking about?
Hall looks like Scott Tolzien and Mullins very much like Brett Hundley. And the results past or present are the same. Not having Kirk Cousins is like the Packers up through 2022 not having Rodgers.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And they clearly have
First, as long as you're not looking to keep Barry, there's not much to try and refute. However, as long as I'm here... :)

ATL - leading 24-12 going into the 4th, lose 24-25
DET - 34 points allowed
LAR - Ahead 13-10 going into the 4th, lose 13-17
DEN - pretty much the O, but playing against a QB about to be benched
MIN - 24 allowed
PIT - Again, pretty much the O, but aloowing 23 to Pickett
NYG - Giving up 24 to Devito
TB - Giving up 34 to Mayfield

And, just in general, the number of 'who is that?' QBs who have torched us or, when the passing game is controlled, having significant rushing yards.

Don't need rebuttal on individual notes above, just wanted to follow-up and the 'game results' point it looked like you were making.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We’ve won 8 and lost 4 or 5(?) by 4 points or less. We are ranked 14th out of 32 teams at preventing the other team from scoring. I don’t care if they keep Barry or not. Every team plays good opponents and bad. The thesis is we would have a young WR corps a 1st year starter and a D that gives us a chance to win games. That has proven to be true. Facts are not rebuttable LOL It’s like when you look at Rodgers actual stats in the 4th qtr of our last 3 season ending losses and people try to argue him laying 3 eggs is somehow not him laying 3 eggs.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay has the #14 defense in the league as far as keeping the other team from scoring. That sky is not falling
The problem is, our defensive expectations have been conditioned to have "the sky is not falling" as our bar for success. The reality is that the defense was supposed to carry a young developing offense this year, not the other way around.

My measure of success would be more along the lines of performance relative to talent level. IMO, the pieces are in place for a top 5 defense, but we've perpetually underachieved our expectations on defense.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just Checked. We’ve lost 5 games by 4 or less. In one of those we scored a whopping 13 and the D got scorched for 13. The Minny loss you referenced we scored 10 points. The decision to keep Barry or move on will be made by football professionals not barstool grumble grouches parroting stuff they read in chat rooms. I hope our D gets better and our O gets a LOT better. I’m optimistic on both fronts!!

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And they clearly have
Much of the scoring defense is due to having an offense that can sustain drives and take time off the clock.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly what upgrades occured that led anyone to believe we would suddenly have a top 5 defense? Or that our defense would carry the team? I know that the latter was an often parroted theory but based on what exactly? What is the magical catalyst that fortold the leap to a top 5 defense. People act like we were “owed” a top 5 defense just like some felt we were owed Super Bowls with Rodgers. Other teams have very good players too and you have to EARN it every week in the NFL. Enjoy that!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me, the thing about Barry is that crunch time in a game (the whole 4th quarter); he sits back and lets the other teams dictate. He lets them run the clock down by not playing stiff. Of course playing tight can hurt you but at least your not dying by a thousand cuts. I don't like the idea that you just let them walk down the field in the hope that they will make a mistake. And that has happened to us a lot. By air and by land. And please no 3 man rushes when they need to make a play!

Status
Not open for further replies.