Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We might be the worst tackling team in the NFL and tired of watching it happen. Still a long season tho so let's not freak out yet!
It's going on 5 plus years now that poor tackling technique has been and issue for the team in general. Why is such a seemingly obvious, fundamental, flaw not being remedied? MM has mentioned it on multiple occasions so they are not blind to the issue but results are not really showing on the field. Where is the disconnect and how can that be remedied?

Pete Carroll's "Hawk Tackling" video has been widely heralded for its informativeness and the tackling drills outlined in it. He sent copies to every team, out players should study the video, it's stupidly foolish to ignore good information.
However, as Carroll notes in the intro to the video (watch here):

"It's a system that we've been teaching and utilizing for the past four years with the Seahawks and since our days at USC. To break it down, our tackling system features shoulder tackling and a renewed emphasis to take the head out of tackling. We've found our style to be successful in the NFL and college, and we believe it can be employed on all levels."

Carroll's coaching breaks down into sections, complete with supporting video.

UPDATE: The Legendary John Madden threw his support behind the Carroll innovations, telling Seahawks.com that "The video is excellent. We've been looking for something like that for a long time. One of the things the Commissioner is trying to do is take the head out of football when it comes to tackling, not using the head for contact.

"So we're working on that and the question was: OK, if we take the head out, what do we put in? And Pete came up with this video. It's not only good, it's great. When I first looked at it, it was beyond what I thought it could have been and it was as close to perfect as it could be.

Levi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to just discredit Dom entirely but I'm 16 years old and I saw that play action pass for a touchdown a mile away. That was the most disheartening thing I saw the whole game (besides the obvious holding the Seahawks were getting away with, seriously? You talk about emphasizing on penalties and etc but you let there line play grab @$$?) Dom either needs to step up his game or I'm done with him. We have the talent but something is telling me not the proper coaching. Seriously all does missed tackles????!!!!! Good God just gonna be another long season if that keeps up....

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You talk about emphasizing on penalties and etc but you let there line play grab @$$?)
The preseason is for emphasising the penalties. They always lax off in the regular season. It has been that way for forever. It is said EVERY preseason MULTIPLE times. How do people still not comprehend the concept?

I'm beyond baffled.

Levi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The preseason is for emphasising the penalties. They always lax off in the regular season. It has been that way for forever. It is said EVERY preseason MULTIPLE times. How do people still not comprehend the concept?

I'm beyond baffled.
We lost fair and square no doubt about that. But why did our LT David get called, what was it? 7 times for holding, but Seattle rarely got called. I don't remember the specific play, but it was a run down the middle for Lynch and I saw 2 or 3 of the lineman hold. You can't tell me that makes you even slightly irritated. Like I said the best team won, but good God that was ridiculous and I don't know if it was after the whistle but one of the Seahawks lineman shoved one of our guys down. Maybe it was before it was blown, but it was highly unnecessary and should have been called.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive showed my frustration with him. This game showed how horrible he is. Put your input

As much as the loss was defensive it was not on Capers as it was the lack there of effort from our guys, Lynch is one of the leagues best in breaking tackles and he showed that they were not swarming to the ball but rather taking hits at Lynch's will, and Harvin and the lack thereof keeping track of his every move, we got beat flat out by a bunch of college bull crap, and the middle of the Road line kills drives PERIOD!

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We lost fair and square no doubt about that. But why did our LT David get called, what was it? 7 times for holding, but Seattle rarely got called. I don't remember the specific play, but it was a run down the middle for Lynch and I saw 2 or 3 of the lineman hold. You can't tell me that makes you even slightly irritated. Like I said the best team won, but good God that was ridiculous and I don't know if it was after the whistle but one of the Seahawks lineman shoved one of our guys down. Maybe it was before it was blown, but it was highly unnecessary and should have been called.

Honestly we went into Seattle the league has a very lax look towards those guys. So going into Seattle, there was so much that could have been called but hey when the Packers don't wanna tackle and get blown off the line we will continue to lose!

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense did NOT lose this game. MM and AR did. 3 plays. 3 lousy plays cost the packers. right before half Mm call TO. The AR throws ball OB. leads to a 63 yard FG. Then AR throws int right after packers get ball back after Cobb return and defense forcing 3 and out. costs 7 points. Total of 10 points. packers lost by 8. Again it all falls on MM and AR. To think otherwise means you wear rose colored glasses

Defense flat out could not stop a nosebleed Lynch ran at will and Harvin killed us!

Levi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly we went into Seattle the league has a very lax look towards those guys. So going into Seattle, there was so much that could have been called but hey when the Packers don't wanna tackle and get blown off the line we will continue to lose!
Exactly. That was absolutely pathetic. Even after the team established the issue on tackling they still don't get it. Please. Just wrap around your guy. Just please

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are issues which desperately need to be fixed.
Ok, good for whatever you're trying to say. Please have the conversation without quoting me because your initial reply to what I said to DraftHobbyist completely ignored the context of what I was saying to the other user.

ie: what I'm saying went over your head so buzz off and mind your own business as it wasn't directed at you anyways.

Last edited:

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, good for whatever you're trying to say. Please have the conversation without quoting me because your initial reply to what I said to DraftHobbyist completely ignored the context of what I was saying to the other user.

ie: what you're trying to say isn't relevant at all to what I'm saying so buzz off and mind your own business.

You shouldn't be pissed at Collinsworth. You should be pissed at our defense. The reason Collinsworth laughed is our defense is laughable. If the defense performed, Collinsworth wouldn't have anything to laugh about. It's pretty simple.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Old x 1

Tell me about it!

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You shouldn't be pissed at Collinsworth. You should be pissed at our defense. The reason Collinsworth laughed is our defense is laughable. If the defense performed, Collinsworth wouldn't have anything to laugh about. It's pretty simple.
Dude just stop, FFS, when someone asks you to stop. Go away; you don't get it and I don't give enough ****s to care about explaining how my ego isn't fragile enough to feel embarrassed at anything Collinsworth has to say. Especially when the observation is such an easy one to make. Likewise it is hardly a valid point of anything to note Collinsworth's opinion, especially when it is simply plain stating the obvious -- any monkey with a microphone .... hey wait a minute. :rolleyes:

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude just stop, FFS, when someone asks you to stop. Go away; you don't get it and I don't give enough ****s to care about explaining how my ego isn't fragile enough to feel embarrassed at anything Collinsworth has to say. Especially when the observation is such an easy one to make. Likewise it is hardly a valid point of anything to note Collinsworth's opinion, especially when it is simply plain stating the obvious -- any monkey with a microphone .... hey wait a minute. :rolleyes:

Then quit *****ing!

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then quit *****ing!
No one is. I was making a counterpoint to another user, who was actually "*****ing", when you forced yourself into the conversation not knowing what I was talking about. Please, leave.

Bye -- generally my ignore list it is comprised of the village plebes so you'll fit right in.

Last edited:

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one is. I was making a counterpoint to another user, who was actually "*****ing", when you forced yourself into the conversation not knowing what I was talking about. Please, leave.

Bye -- generally my ignore list it is comprised of the village plebes so you'll fit right in.

No. I'll stay. Just put me on ignore.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But again, how many years has tackling been an issue for this team? It at least going on 5 years now that it's been a consistent issue. The coaches have acknowledged it's an issue on multiple occasions so we know they're not blind to the issue. So what is it? Where is the disconnect between the coaches identifying issues/ efforts to rectify said issues and play on the field?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I see it, Capers has about 3 games to prove that this one was a fluke, just a plain awful performance by a defense that can do much better. If by the end of that time we are still wondering where TF this defense is, then MM should can his ****. There have been enough excuses over the years.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I see it, Capers has about 3 games to prove that this one was a fluke, just a plain awful performance by a defense that can do much better. If by the end of that time we are still wondering where TF this defense is, then MM should can his ****. There have been enough excuses over the years.
I seriously doubt that the Packers brain trust will fire Capers during the coarse of the season, even if things don't improve over the next few games.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers just played against the best team in the NFL, at their home, on opening night. They were also playing their backup NT (when the starter wasn't very good) and had no other NT active. The Packers could have played better but this result isn't really surprising. Coming into the season everyone knew that our dline was weak (that's not Capers fault) and our ILBs are average-to-poor. Seattle is NOT a team that you want to be weak up the middle against and we were. If the Packers defense is terrible again this year then Capers does need to go but after that TT needs to start being the focus of fan's anger. TT has done a pretty poor job of drafting for defense and the results speak for themselves.

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
I don't have tell you we got beat on all aspects yesterday. We litterly got punched in the face (hard) now what do we do?
I love my Packers but we need fixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.