Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

Dom Capers needs to go. Last year we were 25th in yards allowed and 24th in points allowed. Sure, he's making a defensive change. Unfortunately, if the defense doesn't start out well in a game and doesn't know how to make in-game adjustments to fix the issue. In the past, players like Charles Woodson had to tell Capers how to adjust. Capers is very average and inconsistent, and it's time we start looking elsewhere. I'm not even confident that he is putting players in positions to succeed. Often times I feel he is taking them in positions to fail, such as Raji playing DE when he's a clear NT. After this year. we should have a great opportunity to hire a new DC now that we are switching to a hybrid defense.

A guy I really like is Lou Spanos, who is the LB coach of the Titans. Maybe he will be available in the future when we do eventually replace Capers.

It doesn´t make any sense talking about that topic during training camp. We´ll revisit it after the 2014 season.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing that doesn't make sense is having set times when certain topics can and can't be talked about.
I would think this is not a good time to discuss who to pick in next year's draft. That topic is more pertinent next March.
If you've taken the time to read ALL 700+ posts in this thread (bully to you) you will have come across pretty much everyone's opinion and arguments. I don't think very many have changed & I don't think there is anything new to add until the season is underway. But don't let me stop you from preaching to an empty room.

EDIT: By everyone I meant those that were on the forum when this thread was current. Newer members will basically find most of their views already expressed except for newer data.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You wouldn't come across my opinion! And that's what I wanted to add. And it's funny because I completely disagree about the draft. The draft is pretty much a year-round thing for teams, and is for me as well. When watching college ball I mainly watch the guys coming out, but I also see some of the younger guys. I've already started watching tape of college players for next year's draft, and I'd talk about the draft with anybody. Different people like different subjects. I'm a draft guy. I enjoy the draft more than the super bowl, and that's no exaggeration. So what's wrong with talking about the draft now? I think the fact that I do pay attention to the draft year-round is why I was so successful in predicting where players would go last year.

I love college football and enjoy the draft, but it seems silly to talk about it until you know if the packers will have a high draft pick or a low one no?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I love college football and enjoy the draft, but it seems silly to talk about it until you know if the packers will have a high draft pick or a low one no?
Agree that discussing players in general is one thing, who the Packers should take in which round before the preceeding season kicks off is another thing entirely.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

This thread was created to discuss the Packer's Defence and the Defensive Coach. Well perhaps Coach Capers does need to go , but consider this. All the film study, and all the coaching, and all the time spent in the weight room count for little if the players on the field are not mentally quick enough to adjust to stop opposing teams offences.
Players may know all the formations and field positions that they are called upon to execute during a game, but that may need to be altered at the last tenth of a second before the ball is snapped. That adjustment could be the difference between tackling a running back in his backfield and giving up a ten yard run for a first down. Many of the finest players to have played the game were some of the fastest thinkers. I don't personally know the Packers defencive players, but I hope they are more than really great athletes.

Phil Lattin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he is still capable. We gotta be healthy on defense and this group will be fine.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A good coach isn't a guy who doens't make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes. A good coach is a guy who learns from his mistakes. One thing is certain: Capers has changed the defensive playbook. We probably will be using some hybrid schemes (MM: "we want to be more multiple"). We won't know until regular season what will change and how these changes will effect our ratings. So be patient, and give this guy at least another year.

And BTW, not only Dom Capers is to blame. Our defense was pretty good in 2009 and 2010. Than we lost guys like Jenkins, Collins, Bishop and Woodson.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind this post is predicated on the D staying relatively healthy...not Packer relatively healthy but normal relative healthiness...(i'm confused)

This IS the year for Capers to S or get off the pot. The only significant weakness IMO this unit has is ILB and I happen to think they can be serviceable so long as the DL plays stout enough. I like the rotation of "bigs" we have and am pretty jacked about the pass rush we should get this year from Peppers, Bloodline and co. The secondary could really take a step forward this year as long as 29 plays the way he did his rookie campaign and if either Hyde or HHCD can step in and give us something, hell ANYTHING from the S position. I have given DC somewhat of a pass for the last few seasons but if he can't get us near the top 10 in defense this season he needs to go. End of story he needs to go.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
he isnt going anywhere...When will people realize it, no matter how bad the def always seems to be, he is staying

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I think Capers called a pretty good game, the defence
he isnt going anywhere...When will people realize it, no matter how bad the def always seems to be, he is staying

Keep doing the same things expecting a different result pretty much sums up the packers since 2011.

Andy__boi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So can we finally bump this thread without people getting extremely mad? Our defense was the same typical Capers defense. We heard how it was improved. We heard how it was unique. We heard about all of these changes. We drafted HaHa Clinton-Dix in the 1st round. We drafted defense the year before. We brought in Julius Peppers.

How many excuses do we need to make for Capers? How many years have to be lost to him? He's such a genius, yet when he is figured out, he is figured out. What did he do in Seattle to adjust to anything? And that's the Dom Capers legacy in my mind: He's a man that can't adjust. He's outdated. He's figured out. And now we have a full season to squirm through with him not adjusting, our defense getting beat up, us making the playoffs based off of the offense, and again being an 0-1 playoff team because we don't have a defense to run with the big boys, not because we don't have the talent, but because we don't have the coach.

I know you guys love facts, so how about 398 reasons to get rid of Capers. That is the amount of yards this defense allowed. What is really bad is that there was a lot of running so the clock rolled quickly. The Packers ran 21 times and the Seahawks ran 37 times. Lynch ran for 5.5 yards per carry, Harvin for 10.3, and Turbin for 4.5. If you want to count Wilson he rushed for 4.1. That's right, not 1 rusher on Seattle's offense was held under 4 yards per carry. We had 1 sack for 0 yards, which is when Wilson scrambled and HaHa Clinton-Dix pushed him out of bounds. The defense couldn't finish plays, either. Harvin fumbled and recovered the ball while Brad Jones dropped an INT right in his hands and so did HaHa Clinton-Dix.

It's an old story. We have new players, so can we finally stop making excuses and get rid of the one constant on defense: Dom Capers?

I agree with you 100% time to go!

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers doesn't drill these guys on tackling technique. Our secondary wasn't bad and neither was the pass rush, which looked much improved. The problem is, no one can get anything done if we can't stop the run. We got good penetration, but we CAN'T FINISH! No matter if we totally outsmart the other team and are in perfect position, if we don't finish then we'll never be a good defense. Whoever's job it is to teach tackling technique, they're not doing it. I doubt that's the job of an 80 year old defensive coordinator.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Capers doesn't drill these guys on tackling technique. Our secondary wasn't bad and neither was the pass rush, which looked much improved. The problem is, no one can get anything done if we can't stop the run. We got good penetration, but we CAN'T FINISH! No matter if we totally outsmart the other team and are in perfect position, if we don't finish then we'll never be a good defense. Whoever's job it is to teach tackling technique, they're not doing it. I doubt that's the job of an 80 year old defensive coordinator.
Hard to teach tackling technique when you have a CBA that limits full pad practices. it's the first game, keep it in perspective.

Andy__boi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We might be the worst tackling team in the NFL and tired of watching it happen. Still a long season tho so let's not freak out yet!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brad Jones is the biggest weakness on our team and the biggest difference between us and a good defense.
Watching Bobby Wagner or Novorro Bowman, Luke Keuchly, undrafted Vontaze Burfict, etc. you can see such a difference between them.

Jones seems blind, rarely hits the right hole. Often leaves huge gaps.
Coverage was supposed to be his strength. And he blew a gift Int, and committed 2 lazy penalties on HUGE plays, extending drives and killing us.

It's no wonder why so many Packer mocks had and wanted us taking Shazier, Mosley, and Borland.

I want to see Sam Barrington in vs the Jets.

Andy__boi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brad Jones is the biggest weakness on our team and the biggest difference between us and a good defense.
Watching Bobby Wagner or Novorro Bowman, Luke Keuchly, undrafted Vontaze Burfict, etc. you can see such a difference between them.

Coverage was supposed to be his strength. And he blew a gift Int, and committed 2 lazy penalties on HUGE plays, extending drives and killing us.

It's no wonder why so many Packer mocks had and wanted us taking Shazier, Mosley, and Borland.

Or lattimore? I thought he played well last year
But at the end of the day hawk needs to be replaced as well we need explosive MLBs
Still a long season tho

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You see a difference between Brad Jones and the best Linebackers in the league? Shocking. Do you see a difference between Matt Schaub and Aaron Rodgers too?

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
You know what's really embarrassing as a Packer fan is how Cris Collinsworth and Al Michaels literally laughed at our defense multiple times. Collinsworth was talking about how there were holes as wide as 8-10 yards. We literally got laughed out of Seattle!!! Do we not have more honor than to stand for that!!!

EDIT: Frank, trying a new guy out is a very good idea! I'd rather see Lattimore get the shot, but anybody seems better than Jones right now.
Ok, take two prozac and call me in the morning.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what's really embarrassing as a Packer fan is how Cris Collinsworth and Al Michaels literally laughed at our defense multiple times. Collinsworth was talking about how there were holes as wide as 8-10 yards. We literally got laughed out of Seattle!!! Do we not have more honor than to stand for that!!!

EDIT: Frank, trying a new guy out is a very good idea! I'd rather see Lattimore get the shot, but anybody seems better than Jones right now.
Well Collinsworth is also a foolish yokel so why should I care what he says at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online