Finally get to see Dallas freeze in Greenbay -- Official division game thread

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
The Romo hate is weird because it's just not true. Rodgers is better than Romo (enough posters get insecure about praising other players that it becomes necessary to mention this up front). That said, Romo has more comeback wins since he entered the league than any other QB.

2004-2014 4th qtr comeback wins (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm):
Eli Manning - 26
Ben Roethlisberger - 25
Tony Romo - 24

Peyton Manning - 21
Drew Brees - 20
Tom Brady - 18

Outside of 2012, he has thrown 10 or fewer interceptions in every season since 2009 (though in 2010 he did manage 7 picks in 6 games). Just because Dallas finds ways to lose doesn't mean it's Romo's fault.

For his career, Romo has 110 INTs on 4,210 attempts. That's 1 INT for every 38.3 pass attempts.

For comparison (same order as above):
Eli Manning - 185 on 5,609 - 1 every 30.3
Ben Roethlisberger - 131 on 4,954 - 1 every 37.8
Tony Romo - 110 on 4,210 - 1 every 38.3

Peyton Manning - 234 on 9,049 - 1 every 38.7
Drew Brees - 194 on 7,458 - 1 every 38.4
Tom Brady - 134 on 7,168 - 1 every 53.5

There seems to be a correlation between frequency of INTs and number of comeback wins.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dallas is good enough to beat any team left. I don't think they are better, but there are more than capable of beating any of them. If GB plays it's game, they'll win. Don't give Dallas a window to make things difficult.

I disagree...well maybe if their opponent "lays down", but otherwise, they aren't good enough to beat ANY team...that will be proven this Sunday...

Johneric8

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the game is still meaningful (until the Pack has a 17 pt. cushion in the 4th qtr) Capers will NOT have any less than 5 in the box, and probably 6 or 7. Stopping the run IS that important, and Capers knows it won't be done with 3 or 4 up front. Love your optimism, but you're not winning over any of us J8 ~ GB has more offensive weapons and a better D.

Packers 38 - Cowboys 27 (only because of a late garbage-time Dallas TD)

Now saying that Green Bay has MORE offensive weapons than Dallas is a ridiculous statement.. Dallas has three pro bowlers on their offensive line, a qb who is close to rogers this year, better receivers as a unit (especially tight end)... You gotta be kidding me man.. The ratings say that the Packers and Cows are basically tied in regards to stats... I also don't see how the Packers defense is better? The cowboys rank higher on defense but not by much...

Just by looking at all the stats, they're evenly matched, but the one thing that really stands out to me is does GB even have a tight end? I got tired of scrolling down the stats to find him...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Now saying that Green Bay has MORE offensive weapons than Dallas is a ridiculous statement.. Dallas has three pro bowlers on their offensive line, a qb who is close to rogers this year, better receivers as a unit (especially tight end)... You gotta be kidding me man.. The ratings say that the Packers and Cows are basically tied in regards to stats...
IMO the commonly accepted meaning of the term “weapons” refers to skill players, not linemen. Still the Cowboys have a definite advantage at TE and Bryant is very, very good. And stat wise, the teams are separated on offense by about one point per game in the regular season. (BTW, I like that you refer to the team you follow as the “Cows”.)
I also don't see how the Packers defense is better? The cowboys rank higher on defense but not by much...
I’m not sure what stats you are looking at with regard to the defenses. This is from my post, number 151 on this thread: Here are the stats. The Cowboy’s ranking appears first, then the Packers.

Scoring D:15th, tied for 13th. Total yards:19th, 15th. Passing yards: 26th, 10th. Opponent’s passer rating: 13th,7th. Rushing yards: 8th, 23rd. The only area the Cowboys are better is vs. the rush and the Packers have improved in that area significantly since the bye. As I said in the post, I’m not sure if the Dallas D has gotten significantly better over the past quarter, or half of the season, but the Packers D is dramatically improved since their bye week (week 9). I also posted it would be interesting to see the stats on both sides of the ball for all Dallas away games vs. Packers games after the bye.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The vast majority of those comeback wins were against teams with losing records...in other words, they shouldn't have been in a position of having to come back against those teams...and yes, Romo always seems to find a way to fumble or throw a pick at crucial times of games...

So let me get this straight. Comeback wins are great for a QB, unless your name is Romo, in which case they're bad? He throws picks at bad times? Go look up his interception totals over the past five years because, from what you've said, they will absolutely shock you.

Hincha

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He actually didn't look too bad against Detroit. You do know he is from Burlington, WI., right?

I grew up in Wisconsin and lived there 30 years before moving to Florida and Arizona for 6 years and never seeing snow or freezing temperatures.

I moved back to Green Bay and the first December back I was wearing long underwear several days... felt like a sissy wearing the stuff, never wore it growing up. Was not until January that I got acclimated again.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2004-2014 4th qtr comeback wins (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm):
Eli Manning - 26
Ben Roethlisberger - 25
Tony Romo - 24

Peyton Manning - 21
Drew Brees - 20
Tom Brady - 18

For his career, Romo has 110 INTs on 4,210 attempts. That's 1 INT for every 38.3 pass attempts.

There seems to be a correlation between frequency of INTs and number of comeback wins.

Sorry for not being more specific, I didn't realize the concern others had for Romo being terrible (which he isn't). The comebacks were from when he became a starter for the Cowboys. I sort of assumed that people wouldn't hold the fact that he didn't start until his third season against him (probably another sign of how terrible he is).

3 of Eli's comebacks were before Romo started a single game or threw an NFL pass
8 of Ben's were before Romo started or threw a pass

I REALLY don't understand your stat on interceptions per pass. You do realize that Drew Brees is only ONE TENTH of a pass higher? That Peyton friggin Manning is only four tenths higher? What correlation are you seeing? Drew Brees has four fewer comebacks and throws an interception at pretty much an identical rate.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now saying that Green Bay has MORE offensive weapons than Dallas is a ridiculous statement.. Dallas has three pro bowlers on their offensive line, a qb who is close to rogers this year, better receivers as a unit (especially tight end)... You gotta be kidding me man.. The ratings say that the Packers and Cows are basically tied in regards to stats... I also don't see how the Packers defense is better? The cowboys rank higher on defense but not by much...

Just by looking at all the stats, they're evenly matched, but the one thing that really stands out to me is does GB even have a tight end? I got tired of scrolling down the stats to find him...

Just be sure to show your ugly mug around here after the butt kicking Dallas gets Sunday, ok? But I bet you're like most cowpattie fans. Once you lose, you'll break your Seahawk and Bronco gear back out again. So once we reach the SB, and if its against Denver, I am sure you'll be back around here again pretending to be a Bronco fan. Just like you'll be pretending to be a Seahawk fan in the NFCCG against us.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

When did offensive lineman become offensive weapons? Are their pro bowlers going to pull a JJ Watt near the goal line?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eli Manning - 26
Ben Roethlisberger - 25
Tony Romo - 24

Peyton Manning - 21
Drew Brees - 20
Tom Brady - 18

Just to show how good Rodgers is, he throws a pick every 60.9 attempts.

H

HardRightEdge

While the game is still meaningful (until the Pack has a 17 pt. cushion in the 4th qtr) Capers will NOT have any less than 5 in the box, and probably 6 or 7. Stopping the run IS that important, and Capers knows it won't be done with 3 or 4 up front. Love your optimism, but you're not winning over any of us J8 ~ GB has more offensive weapons and a better D.

Packers 38 - Cowboys 27 (only because of a late garbage-time Dallas TD)
I've liked the look of our base D with Peppers and Matthews on the line at wide 9...very effective stopping the run on the way to the QB in recent weeks.

Leonardo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely this game will be the hardest test for our defense so far this season, i think we can do well against them, but the key for them is running the football, that's how the Cowboys could win this game. If we play the way we've been playing at Lambeau so far, i don't think there's a chance for them.. and hopefully Rodgers will be ok for Sunday.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Definitely this game will be the hardest test for our defense so far this season, i think we can do well against them, but the key for them is running the football, that's how the Cowboys could win this game. If we play the way we've been playing at Lambeau so far, i don't think there's a chance for them.. and hopefully Rodgers will be ok for Sunday.
Think the Patriots were the hardest test. Think this will be up there, but I thought the Patriots were bringing their A game thinking its similar to a playoff game. I think the Cowplops can run the ball all they want, problem will be the Packers will have their typical offensive success at Lambeau and the 'plops will settle for more field goals than touchdowns.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now saying that Green Bay has MORE offensive weapons than Dallas is a ridiculous statement.. Dallas has three pro bowlers on their offensive line, a qb who is close to rogers this year, better receivers as a unit (especially tight end)... You gotta be kidding me man.. The ratings say that the Packers and Cows are basically tied in regards to stats...
Dallas' top 2 receiver's regular season stats (Bryant & Witten): 152 receptions, 2,023 yds, 21 TD's. GB's (Nelson & Cobb): 189 receptions, 2,806 yds., 25 TD's. Advantage GB!

Top 3 ~ Dallas (add T. Williams): 189 receptions, 2,644 yds., 22 TD's. GB (add Adams): 227 receptions, 3,252 yds., 28 TD's. Advantage GB!

Top 4 ~ Dallas (add Beasley): 226 receptions, 3,064 yds., 26 TD's. GB (add Lacy): 269 receptions, 3,679 yds., 32 TD's. Advantage GB!

Top 5 ~ Dallas (add Murray): 283 receptions, 3,480 yds, 26 TD's. GB (add Quarless): 298 receptions, 4,002 yds., 35 TD's. Advantage GB!

Rushing:
D. Murray: 392 rushes, 1,845 yds., 4.7 yds/carry, 24.5 carries/gm, 13 TD's.
E. Lacy: 246 rushes, 1,139 yds., 4.6 yds/carry, 15.4 carries/gm, 9 TD's
Advantage Dallas, only by sheer volume of touches. Productivity is similar/carry.

QB's: Rodgers will quite possibly be a 2nd time MVP, Romo - zero.

You can argue until you're blue in the face, J8, that Dallas' offensive weapons (Romo, Murray, Bryant, Witten, Williams, & Beasley) are better than GB's (Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Lacy, & Quarless)... but I'm tired of telling you that you're wrong. You're wrong, and I dare you to find a serious NFL fan that would back you... and I doubt it will be on a Packer forum.

Leonardo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think the Patriots were the hardest test. Think this will be up there, but I thought the Patriots were bringing their A game thinking its similar to a playoff game. I think the Cowplops can run the ball all they want, problem will be the Packers will have their typical offensive success at Lambeau and the 'plops will settle for more field goals than touchdowns.

I think the Cowboys will be harder than the Patriots especially because of the running game, the Cowboys offense are hot, both parts of offense are producing very good numbers, the Patriots didn't have good numbers in the running game as the Cowboys have and the passing game have been producing good numbers for the Cowboys as well. I think they're a complete team, a team made for this part of the season. But if you compare pound per pound, Brady is better than Romo, there's no doubt about it, but if you look as a whole team, i think the Cowboys are tougher.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, due to the weather and our run game, if our defense plays well, we wont need Rodgers to throw much in this game.

I'd be confident in beating Dallas with Matt Flynn at QB (People seem to forget that Flynn beat Dallas last season, LOL)

Members online

Latest posts