Fans Object As Packers Ponder Moss Trade

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By CHRIS JENKINS

March 09, 2007

Ted talked to me about Koren Robinson, and I have to admit that at the beginning I was concerned

Even fans who own shares of Green Bay Packers stock don't have veto power over a potential trade for a player seen here as a touchdown-scoring scoundrel _ Randy Moss. But if they could, they would.

When the widely rumored trade was brought up in front of a crowd at the Packers' annual Fan Fest at Lambeau Field on Friday evening, boos and hisses drowned out any timid cheers.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson was sitting on stage at the time.

So, Ted, what do you say to that?

'I don't say anything,' Thompson said. 'That's the best way to do it.'

In keeping with Thompson's close-to-the-vest philosophy, he hasn't officially acknowledged that he is exploring a trade for Moss _ which is fine, because the Oakland Raiders haven't said that they're bent on trading the talented but moody former Pro Bowl wide receiver.

But Packers chairman and CEO Bob Harlan hinted strongly on Friday that the Packers' front office is going through the same sort of character risk-versus-reward debate they did before signing former Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Koren Robinson last fall.

And Harlan says fans who have called his office to weigh in on Moss generally don't like the idea of trading for a receiver who might be past his prime, might be playing his way out of a second NFL city because of his questionable attitude _ and, by the way, once pretended to 'moon' the fans at Lambeau after scoring a touchdown.

'I don't want to say it's been overwhelming, but there have been a few fans who (complained),' Harlan said. 'And the thing they basically say to me is, 'You guys have so much class. Don't lose class now.''

Harlan, who is retiring in May, said he is very concerned about maintaining the team's image. And those concerns will play a role in whether the team pushes ahead toward a trade.

'I've had fans call me and say, 'Bob, I'd rather see you go 0-16 than do some things that were done here in the '80s,'' Harlan said. 'And believe me, I'm as concerned about the image of this franchise as anybody, and will be years from now. It's not just because I'm leaving. I'm very concerned about how we look next year and the year after that. So we're going to be cautious.'

Harlan said the team had extensive discussions last year before signing Robinson, who is serving a suspension under the NFL's substance abuse policy. In February, Robinson was sentenced to 90 days in jail for fleeing police in Minnesota last August.

But when _ or if _ Robinson is reinstated, the Packers might well welcome him back.

'Ted talked to me about Koren Robinson, and I have to admit that at the beginning I was concerned,' Harlan said. 'And I think the thing that swayed me was the fact that Ted said he worked with the young man, he was a good person, and if he made one more mistake he wouldn't be here. And Ted understands how our fans feel about baggage.'

But, of course, making such judgments are nothing new for any NFL team. Harlan said that under former general manager Ron Wolf and former coach Mike Holmgren, the team talked regularly about the 'baggage' any potential acquisition might bring to the team.

'As Ron used to say, where do you hide him in Green Bay? And you don't,' Harlan said. 'And players have to understand that. I even talk to coaches about that. You're very visible in this community. You represent this organization day and night. Watch what you do. So we'll talk about it.'

Thing is, Wolf seems to think Moss is worth the risk.

Wolf, who was in attendance at the fan fest on Friday, said that Thompson should do the deal if he is comfortable with the information he has on Moss.

'You have to know what you're getting, but if he can help you win, there's no question that you go after him,' Wolf said. 'Guys like Randy Moss don't walk down the street every day. You cannot discount that. From the time he took the field for Minnesota, he was a Packer killer.'

As for the fans' opinion, Wolf said that never mattered to him.

'The objective is to win football games,' Wolf said. 'That's the No. 1 objective _ obviously within reason.'

Now, the Packers' front office must decide whether Moss is worth the price.

'Ted would come and talk to me before we did anything like that,' Harlan said. 'I think I'd rather wait until we get to that stage and see if it happens.'

Notes: @Packers linebacker Nick Barnett told the crowd that he is still hoping for a contract extension. 'They are working and talking, so hopefully we'll get something done,' Barnett said. ... Harlan said the installation of Lambeau Field's new playing surface is 'coming along fine.' ... After losing free agent running back Ahman Green to the Houston Texans, Thompson said he has confidence in the team's remaining running backs, a group that includes Vernand Morency and Noah Herron. But, Thompson added, 'We're going to bring in some competition for them.'

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
call the main board and talk to the secretary....See how much it has changed since that report has come out..

Supposedly, she is saying it has gone to where fans ARE IN FAVOR..

People have been calling and talking to Bob and leaving voice mails for TEd, and that is what she is hearing

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
call the main board and talk to the secretary....See how much it has changed since that report has come out..

People have been calling and talking to Bob and leaving voice mails for TEd, and that is what she is hearing

Yeah, it's weird. PTI on ESPN was talking about how everyone at FanFest were saying they didn't want Moss. I find that hard to believe. Anyone who went to FanFest want to ring in on what the feeling was there?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

Yeah, it's weird. PTI on ESPN was talking about how everyone at FanFest were saying they didn't want Moss. I find that hard to believe. Anyone who went to FanFest want to ring in on what the feeling was there?

I posted it before but on another board, lot of people went..From what THOSE people said it seemed that alot of women were doing the booing..One guy eve n said he wasnt going to boo, but his wife gave him a nudge and the look. He ended up booing..

and b4 anyone says anything that guy did get a lot of flak from EVERYONE for doing that

What about people from this board? What did you see as far as booing

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey is the only person on here that went to fan fest I THINK... id like to know what went on. hook us up cheesey.

and of course leave it to women to allow emotions and something that happened 3 years ago to affect their current decision.... always bringin up the past.. cant ever let anything die can you...

Man: WE WANT RANDY MOSS, BECAUSE HE WILL HELP US WIN FOOTBALL GAMES AND WILL ULTIMATELY DESTROY THE VIKINGS BOTH TIMES WE PLAY THEM. (logical i think)

Woman: yeah but what about that one time in third grade when randy kissed my best friend and mooned the crowd at lambeau... huh what about that... i just dont think i can live with that in my life... BOOOO

sorry.. this in no way mirrors what has gone on in my personal life.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
cheesey is the only person on here that went to fan fest I THINK... id like to know what went on. hook us up cheesey.

and of course leave it to women to allow emotions and something that happened 3 years ago to affect their current decision.... always bringin up the past.. cant ever let anything die can you...

Man: WE WANT RANDY MOSS, BECAUSE HE WILL HELP US WIN FOOTBALL GAMES AND WILL ULTIMATELY DESTROY THE VIKINGS BOTH TIMES WE PLAY THEM. (logical i think)

Woman: yeah but what about that one time in third grade when randy kissed my best friend and mooned the crowd at lambeau... huh what about that... i just dont think i can live with that in my life... BOOOO

sorry.. this in no way mirrors what has gone on in my personal life.

Your mad Randy didnt kiss YOU ;)

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fan that said they would rather see the Packers go 0-16 is a LIAR.

Two words. MY ***

We get to about 0-6 and this dude would be packing his car, loading up with Frito's and soda's, and heading to freaking Oakland to drive Moss back to GB.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no he wouldnt... but once we went 0-6 this guy would never be heard of again.... because hes not a fan if he wants to see his team go 0-16. either that or he would come on this board and tell everyone how bad the management here sucks.

its like the one percent of america that got pissed and sent emails and letters to CBS after Janet showed her tittie on TV.

its not necessarily a fair representation of packer fans... just the one percent of packer fans that are lame enough to go and protest the signing of a guy... just because he doesnt do things the way they think things should be done.

i like janets tittie... and i want randy moss here in gb... but im not gonna call up Harlan and demand it.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Ron Wolf hired a former High School Tennis Coach named Mike Holmgrem and traded a 1st round pick to the Falcons for this 3rd string QB named Brett Favre, fans called Harlan and left some messages that you probably wouldn't want your kids or grandchildren to hear.

Leading to my point of we don’t run things. Let the people who are hired in place make the decisions. Not the fans because honestly 50% of fans really don’t know what they’re talking about half the time. Unless you go to Packerforum.com. Then you know everything. :thumbsup:

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer fans are idiots. I swear to my Lord and Saviour Jesus.

For the past 3 years everyone has been crying about getting Brett some weapons. "WHY WON'T TT GET A GAMEBREAKER! HE HATES BRETT!"

Now when we have a chance to get Randy freaking Moss everyone disapproves? Give me a break.

Let me rephrase that first part. RANDY FREAKING MOSS. This isn't some 3rd stringer, this is a Hall of Fame caliber player.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
Packer fans are idiots. I swear to my Lord and Saviour Jesus.

For the past 3 years everyone has been crying about getting Brett some weapons. "WHY WON'T TT GET A GAMEBREAKER! HE HATES BRETT!"

Now when we have a chance to get Randy freaking Moss everyone disapproves? Give me a break.

Let me rephrase that first part. RANDY FREAKING MOSS. This isn't some 3rd stringer, this is a Hall of Fame caliber player.

What I don't like is that there actually has been a media effort that reflects more anti-Moss sentiment than actually exists. Packer fans are not indiots, Yared. The media is.

EVERY poll I have seen, and several have been hit many times, is heavily swayed to bringing Moss on board. I have yet to see it the other way. The media is hyping the select minority of fans who want a certain image of the Packers upheld.
An image, by the way, that wouldn't be what it is if we were consistant losers.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im with you yared.... like a broken record...

DO THIS... SIGN THIS GUY TO HELP BRETT...

NO WAIT NOT THAT GUY...

we want you to magically make a preacher who can run a 4.2 and have 10 inch fingers to catch every ball brett throws no matter what part of the feild.

Randy Moss is the definition of game breaker.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a little surprised to see the title but I've learned to not put to much stock in what media says the fans want. Once I returned from a game where we got waxed and got back home to read an article in the local paper about how everyone leaving the stadium was booing and calling for Brett's head. I'm sure he figured he could write what he wanted thinking no one would of been there to know if he's write but there were a few other things he wrote that I witnessed were completely untrue. Ever since then I hate it when a reporter tries to say this is what the fans feel cause simply they usually don't know jack. They'll ask one fans opinion and then write this is how the city feels. (rant over) Anyway I say bring in Randy and lets light up the Lambeau sky. Besides Ted will do what he feels is the right move no matter what popular opinion is

Members online