1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Bubba Franks signs...

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by eastcoastpacker, Aug 24, 2005.

1. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    $40 million is high unless they seriously raise the cap for every team. We'll have approximately $20 million under the cap as it currently stands.
  2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    1. its backloaded probably
    2. he wont see his 6th or 7th year

3...go pack
  3. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well said tromadz. While I do agree with you that he will get cut after possibly 5 years, I would love it if the Pack and Bubba would perhaps extend the deal, or even have Bubba restructure the final two years to allow the Pack more cap reliefe. (Or even take a pay cut the final two years. :mrgreen:

Cali, I think that 40 million is pushing it by all standards. If Brett does retire (OH DEAR GOD NO! :( ), then I can see the Packers cap being around 30 million. But with the Cap going up next year, I would think about 25 million in cap space is a good guess.
  4. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm using the Unofficial cap site at cox.net. The over 40 million figure includes the money that will be used on Green, Longwell, Flanagan et al. So it will be reduced rapidly.

We will have about half a cap and half a team to sign. There are not many players signed beyond the end of this year. But the Packers will have one of the best cap positions next year.

Next offseason will be crazy. What if Bubba's deal makes it 38 million. We gain it back and more if we cut Hunt after this season.
  5. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The big contract makes me wonder why Thompson lowballed Bubba with the transition tag in the off-season. Bubba is not nearly as good as those other $4 million per year tight ends, but hopefully this is a back-loaded deal that won't hurt the cap too much. It will be good to have Bubba back on the field next week.
  6. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone have a list of the FA's next year?
  7. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    This doesn't make sense because we do not have a viable back up TE but maybe he was hoping for a trade or for someone else to makea contract so he could just match it or maybe just get a pick in return for the loss of Franks.

None of that makes all that much sense to me though.
  8. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just caught the news on my way home from work on the radio. 7 years/28 million. Now we have our TE back! :mrgreen:
  9. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This makes me happy :joy:
  10. ArizonaPackerFan

ArizonaPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good point! They way we are so thin at TE, it doesn't make sense to overwork him too much at the start and get him hurt like we did with Levens.

I too am glad to see him back. We need him.
  11. ArizonaPackerFan

ArizonaPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree. I'm guessing the Packers told Javon too behind closed doors that they'll take care of him at the end of the season.
  12. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    IMHO - which is important to only me.... is this ----
    Sherman and Rossley are "golfing buddies" - have been for a long long time - that's how he networked himself into the OC Chair. Everyone knows the drill....

Having said that - We've seen that with Rossley outta the way (?) - The Packers regain their true form on Offense. It's written about endlessly, all over the web, forum after forum.....

Add to that, the fact that you will never ever get Sherman to find fault with his golfing partner... it'd affect their chance to relax away from Lambeau... deal with it.

Sherman has demonstrated to me.... that he will cover for his Coaches who are (to use a word) "sloppy" with handling their responsibilities and are quite lax in their talents, as well.

We "know" that Rossley has a tendency to play prevent football when he gets his conservative play calling routine running and the Team has found it's way into a corner....

WE ALSO KNOW that playing prevent football --- PREVENTS a TEAM FROM WINNING.

So - there is a certain handicap with Rossley in the OC Chair. Packerfans will have to live with this detail until Sherman leaves the HC position, period.

Sherman will cover for Rossley and as he has admitted, will continue to pre-plan all games with Rossley's majority input. Sherman may want all of us to think that "he" will be calling the games... But, how gullible are you guys?

You (all) will be able to tell when Rossley is calling the plays by what order they come in at what part of the game... Sherman will not step in unless he has no choice and they will then say it's all the Players' doing in what caused that change in protocol.

You damn skippy - Rossley will be calling plays again on Offense.
    We're in no position to have it be any other way...

BUT - THERE's THIS ONE OPTION that I think TT has allowed for himself...
    Sherman just got a two year extension - I have not heard that Rossley got the same deal, have any of you? Well, there ya go.... If Rossley does NOT improve HIS performance... I would think that a long discussion is due with Mike Sherman at the end of this Season with regards to who the OC should be at that time.

LIke I said, it's JMHO - but there it is.... Anyone see it differently, speak right up!