Brandon Jackson's Comments after the Titletown Celebration today

OP
OP
fettpett

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pretty sure that Grant is under contract for another year or two, some of it depends on if the Packers draft a RB as well. Like you guys said it comes down to Contract. Hell maybe he can return kickoffs...I dont think he's been tried there and if he could do that, as well as be a 3rd RB I'm all for keeping him. Just sucks that as a every down back he's not all that good...though have to wonder how much of that is the OL

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like he knows he is done with the team. So does James Jones, he wasn't even wearing Packer colors yesterday at the rally.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great quotes from Jackson. I think he'll be playing somewhere next season, just not with us. I wish him well.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say Jackson is gone. I'd like to keep him, but the roster just says "no."

The number 1 and 2 halfbacks will be Grant and Starks. Almost a given that #3 will be a draft pick. No room for Jackson. About the only way I see him sticking around is if we release Grant. I seem to recall he has a big salary next year in order to force a renegotiation, ala Hawk. If he won't, we still draft a replacement, Starks is elevated to number 1, and Jackson resumes his number 2/3rd-down role.

Also working against Jackson is that Kuhn will be had cheaper AND Kuhn seemed to be taking a lot of the 3rd down (single back) snaps. There's your replacement 3rd down back.

I have a suspicion that they'll carry 3 fullbacks again, unless they get sick of Q. Johnson not getting better.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm gonna miss Brandon too, great character, and high draft pick of Teddy. A 2nd round pick IIRC, pretty high for today's NFL.

But it would appear it's either him or Alex Green making it as the 3rd RB, and the late 3rd round pick would make a lot less than Jackson would. They gotta save money somewhere.

Unless they choose to save a lot and let Grant go, and run with the same RBs that ran us to a Super Bowl, plus add Alex Green.

I love Brandon Jackson's passion though. That means a lot. Contrast that to thugs like Javon Walker and Mike McKenzie.

Cullen is the same as BJack too. I wish we could keep guys like this.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder why we have to let him go though. I wouldn't expect his salary to be above $2 mil/ yr if that at all. And with Green in I doubt Nance stays. I want him in Blitz pick-ups. :(

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you guys rather save about $4 million by releasing Grant (and keeping Brandon Jackson), and put that $4 mil towards Cullen Jenkins?
Keep Cullen and go with Starks, Alex Green, and Brandon Jackson, with Kuuuhn kept around too?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I like Jackson as a third down back. He is very good at picking up the blitz and I'll never forget the play in the first half of the NFC Championship game where Jackson took a little dump off pass over the middle, juked Urlacher out of his shoes and made a big first down. But the problem with extending Jackson IMO is the signing bonus required to do so. If they think they want to go with Grant, Starks and Green, it doesn’t make sense to give Jackson a signing bonus. And I don't think its likely Jackson will sign a deal with no, or little signing bonus.

I don't think $4M in savings will go far enough with Jenkins. For example, some have wondered if it would make sense to tag Jenkins and keep him one more year to see if Neal can stay healthy. That would make some sense but I've read that if the Packers would have franchise tagged Cullen (so he couldn't negotiate with other teams) the one year cost would be $12M (I've also read the number is closer to $15M). If they would have used the transition tag it would cost about $10M for one season. Both assume a new CBA would have the same terms regarding tags as the old one. Anyway, that’s an indication of what kind of money Jenkins may be looking for.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alex Green will be fine as the third down back. No interest in Jackson returning unless it's for minimum. Maybe not even for that.

Grant, Starks, Green, and Kuhn (maybe) as a short-yardage back. Haven't even brought up Nance, who'll have a season under his belt. I wouldn't be surprised if Cobb played a couple snaps at RB this season as some type of specialty plays.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alex Green will be fine as the third down back. No interest in Jackson returning unless it's for minimum. Maybe not even for that.

Grant, Starks, Green, and Kuhn (maybe) as a short-yardage back. Haven't even brought up Nance, who'll have a season under his belt. I wouldn't be surprised if Cobb played a couple snaps at RB this season as some type of specialty plays.
I don't think so.

Green wasn't asked to stay and block much in college. And the times he was, it was in a very different scheme.

Now, couple that with the fact that rookies usually struggle with blocking. And this preseason will be even shorter than usual, IF there is a preseason. Chances are he won't have the playbook memorized by the start of the season. Heck, Starks didn't knew the full playbook, even in the postseason!

That's not to say Green won't turn out to be an amazing blocking RB. He has an even better build than Jackson to be able to hold off OLBs and such.

But it's unreasonable to expect him to be able to do it effectively in his first year...

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say he is as good as gone. It's toooo predictable to have a strictly 3rd down back any more. The guy is no good at running the ball. With Grant and Starks both healthy, if he comes in its a guaranteed pass. If the rookies get a chance to get up to speed, I say Green takes his job with flying colors. In collage he could do everything BJax could do and more. The kid just plain has more potential than BJax will ever have. He had more than his chance and did not do anything with it.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you guys rather save about $4 million by releasing Grant (and keeping Brandon Jackson), and put that $4 mil towards Cullen Jenkins?
Keep Cullen and go with Starks, Alex Green, and Brandon Jackson, with Kuuuhn kept around too?
I like this Idea!!!