Bakhtiari to Jets?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting how AR choker has now restructured his contract, creating cap space for this to happen. The Jets have limited depth at LT. If this comes to fruition I would not be surprised in the least. They can have 1/2 of a once pro bowl LT, as it appears that the green and gold are in full rebuild mode this year.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting how AR choker has now restructured his contract, creating cap space for this to happen. The Jets have limited depth at LT. If this comes to fruition I would not be surprised in the least. They can have 1/2 of a once pro bowl LT, as it appears that the green and gold are in full rebuild mode this year.
It won't happen. The Packers would eat $38 mill in dead cap this year if they did it. If they keep him, and do it next year, they eat $19 mill. After 2024, he's a free agent. They won't be signing an extension with him, no doubt about it.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It won't happen. The Packers would eat $38 mill in dead cap this year if they did it. If they keep him, and do it next year, they eat $19 mill. After 2024, he's a free agent. They won't be signing an extension with him, no doubt about it.

It's exceedingly unlikely, but if, for example, he doesn't miss a snap all season and doesn't give up a sack? They might try to extend him. It goes against their MO, but even him getting his 3rd contract/2nd extension does.

If you could tack on 2 years, lower the hit for 2024, and give him a chance to only play with one team? It could happen. Not likely, but possible.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Nah... in my book, the WORST thing the Pack could do is put a non-proven LT protecting a young inexperienced QBs blindside.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Nah... in my book, the WORST thing the Pack could do is put a non-proven LT protecting a young inexperienced QBs blindside.
A really good offensive line gives the running game and Love the best chance for the offense to be successful. Imo, there is no way the staff feels that Tom or Nijman are Bakhtiari's equal.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So it would make sense to keep him the 2 seasons and go from there and eat nothing.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So it would make sense to keep him the 2 seasons and go from there and eat nothing.
I think that it will depend on 4 important factors.

- Injuries (to Bahk or his potential backup).
- Bahk's level of play in 2023.
- Development of another player to step in as the starting LT.
- 2024 Draft (perhaps they draft his immediate replacement).

Due to an extremely high dead cap hit ($38M), if Bahk is traded or cut, the Packers are "stuck" with Bahk for at least the 2023 season. What happens beyond that, is anybody's guess.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If nothing else, he's going to end up being a high priced potential back up over the next two years. With any luck, he could actually play some, to help the team's offense.

Above all, he shouldn't go anywhere unless we get some compensation, but after this year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If nothing else, he's going to end up being a high priced potential back up over the next two years. With any luck, he could actually play some, to help the team's offense.
Doubt the Packers would keep him around in 2024, if he isn't playing well. No matter if they cut or trade him, this is the effect:

2024 Dead Cap: $19,065,5142024
Cap Savings: $21,400,000

If they keep him and don't restructure his deal again, his 2024 Cap hit is $40,465,514. Even if he was playing lights out, I highly doubt they keep him around for that price. Something has to budge next year and it will have to be in the form of a trade, cut or restructure.

This is exactly what a few of us have been referring to for years, as the danger of continuing to push money out on a high priced player.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubt the Packers would keep him around in 2024, if he isn't playing well. No matter if they cut or trade him, this is the effect:

If they keep him and don't restructure his deal again, his 2024 Cap hit is $40,465,514. Even if he was playing lights out, I highly doubt they keep him around for that price. Something has to budge next year and it will have to be in the form of a trade, cut or restructure.

This is exactly what a few of us have been referring to for years, as the danger of continuing to push money out on a high priced player.
He's gone after this year. There's no way they keep him around to pay him over $40 mill. This is one of those contracts that teams dread.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He's gone after this year. There's no way they keep him around to pay him over $40 mill. This is one of those contracts that teams dread.
I think it is more than likely that Bahk won't be around in 2024, unless there is a team friendly restructure of his contract. That said, I hope he plays at a Pro Bowl level this season and in doing so, makes trading him for some decent draft capital, to a team in need of a great LT, profitable for the Packers.

Oh and yeah, these kinds of contracts totally suck. The best you can do is either try and "split the difference", like they did with Rodgers and the Jets or get a very friendly and forgiving restructure like they have been doing with Aaron Jones.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

40 mill hit for a LT. WOW!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Is a pro-bowl / all-pro LT worth $21m for a one year rental? That is what is at stake next season not $40m. It'll depend on his availability this season. Maybe he'll take a team friendly salary cut after this season if he likes the direction.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is a pro-bowl / all-pro LT worth $21m for a one year rental? That is what is at stake next season not $40m. It'll depend on his availability this season. Maybe he'll take a team friendly salary cut after this season if he likes the direction.
We'll have to wait and see. It's possible that they opt to keep him on for that last season. But, in all honesty, he's going to be an injury waiting to happen.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don’t envision an off-season where we let Yosh and Bakh both walk….I just don’t see it UNLESS there is some SERIOUS growth in a guy proving to be a guard more than we think in Rhyan or Newman reclicking and Jenkins can go to Tackle…or Walker or Tenuta or Jones just exploding this year with potential to make two starting tackles walking be allowed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
i don’t envision an off-season where we let Yosh and Bakh both walk….I just don’t see it UNLESS there is some SERIOUS growth in a guy proving to be a guard more than we think in Rhyan or Newman reclicking and Jenkins can go to Tackle…or Walker or Tenuta or Jones just exploding this year with potential to make two starting tackles walking be allowed.
Sounds like Tenuta's ankle injury might be a "long term" one. How long that is, who knows. I'd say that Yosh stands a better chance at being a Packer in 2024 than Bahk. Now if Bahk wants to stay in GB for another contract, a team friendly restructure might do it. However, if he plays up to his Pro Bowl level, I can't see him wanting to do that. Then the Packers will have to decide if he's worth tacking on another $21M to a cap that will already be reflecting the $19M that was pushed out on hus contract. Yup, the $19M is dead, gone, spent money, but adding a full $21M hit to it?

If Josh can find a way to get over what appears to be a stalled development stage, then I see resigning him and trading Bahk in 2024.

Reaction score
I’m telling you that this is one of the best moves for us as Cook is now in the AFC and he was one of the top RB’s in the NFC. We officially will not see him for several years unless we advance to a SB.
While he might not be in his prime, Minnesota has lost a fantastic athlete both in Run and Passing game. If Cook was a home listed for sale, then Aaron Jones would be his closest Comp across the Cul de Sac.
If Hall comes back healthy the Jets have one of (if not the) best RB tandem in the NFL. Cook was the 2nd best RB in explosive plays in 2022 behind only Chubb.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, with Hall being activated off the PUP list today, that gives the "Jetgers" quite a 1-2 backfield.
It was said that the Jets are going all out this year. It gives Rodgers such a good play fake option. Now if their O line can do better than last year they could be there at the end. They already have a defense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You cannot deny anything short of getting to the AFC Championship should be viewed as a massive failure for the Jets...outside of their OL, that team is LOADED:

RBs: Breece Hall / Dalvin Cook / Michael Carter / Israel Abanikanda
WRs: Garrett Wilson / Allen Lazard / Corey Davis / Mecole Hardman / Randall Cobb / Malik Taylor / Xavier Gipson
TE: Tyler Conklin / Jeremy Ruckert / Zack Kuntz

I would 100% argue that Rodgers has never had that deep of a supporting cast along all three positions IMO.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You cannot deny anything short of getting to the AFC Championship should be viewed as a massive failure for the Jets...outside of their OL, that team is LOADED:

RBs: Breece Hall / Dalvin Cook / Michael Carter / Israel Abanikanda
WRs: Garrett Wilson / Allen Lazard / Corey Davis / Mecole Hardman / Randall Cobb / Malik Taylor / Xavier Gipson
TE: Tyler Conklin / Jeremy Ruckert / Zack Kuntz

I would 100% argue that Rodgers has never had that deep of a supporting cast along all three positions IMO.
Honestly, now that you laid out his offensive weapons, Rodgers has played with better supporting casts. The Jets RB group is solid. But as far as their WR group and TE Group, Rodgers has had better.

Wilson is a rising star, but his catch % last season was only 53%. That should improve with Rodgers at QB, but he still is no Davante Adams, nor does he have the established chemistry with Rodgers. Lazard will be Lazard, a decent player with Rodgers as his QB, but average at best. Hardman and Davis are capable, but both have been under achievers.

I'm not saying that this is a bad group that the Jets have, but no way are they more talented than Rodgers 2011 group of Starks, Ryan Grant, John Kuhn, Jordy, James Jones, Jennings, Driver, Cobb, Finley.

Rodgers was younger and physically a better player in 2011 than he is now. He is definitely more savvy now and a smarter player, but until he establishes chemistry with his offense, it could be a bumpy ride for the Jets offense. If he does establish chemistry and receivers like Hardman and Davis, have career seasons, than yeah, this good be a talented offense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Speaking of Bahk, he seems to be impressed by Love. He didn't go overboard with his assessment of Love, nor did he only sound like a teammate, just backing his QB.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!