Bad News?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. TT is a magician with money. If anyone can work this out, it's TT.
2. While a LOT of people here are Williams fans, I think we would be fine without him. We would bring someone in(FA or Draft) to add the depth.

I mean, look at Johnny(6th round) Jolly. Or Meir(whatever). We are good at picking up D-linemen.

And we still haven't even seen what Harrell has to offer yet, but the coaches still really like him(but what do they know).

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i know we could bring someone else in, but i just love the thought of having Pickett, Williams, Colin Cole, Johnny Jolly, and Harrell in rotation. look at how our defense began to fall off after jolly and cole went out last year. i think it ought to be a high priority to keep williams right where he is.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2. While a LOT of people here are Williams fans, I think we would be fine without him. We would bring someone in(FA or Draft) to add the depth.

I mean, look at Johnny(6th round) Jolly. Or Meir(whatever). We are good at picking up D-linemen.

And we still haven't even seen what Harrell has to offer yet, but the coaches still really like him(but what do they know).

Williams got us 7 sacks from the DT position two seasons in a row. I don't think we have someone else who is that productive from the middle. I was hoping Cullen Jenkins would be that person, but he didn't do it in '07.

I'd rather have Williams, but I am confident TT & MM will make the right decision for the team.

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Williams got us 7 sacks from the DT position two seasons in a row. I don't think we have someone else who is that productive from the middle. I was hoping Cullen Jenkins would be that person, but he didn't do it in '07.

I'd rather have Williams, but I am confident TT & MM will make the right decision for the team.

trusting your coach, GM, and front office is a nice feeling, isn't it?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
trusting your coach, GM, and front office is a nice feeling, isn't it?

Yes, it is. I didn't have this feeling with Sherman, and to tell you the truth, I didn't like TT his first year and I didn't like MM until game 2 of the '07 season. In Game 3 of this season (against the Chargers), I really started liking MM and realized he was a whole different Coach.

But alas, I'm straying from the topic. I hope we get Williams.

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good article. It'd be great to keep Williams, but I agree with Trom: he's a great player, but we'll be fine without him (assuming we can't keep him). If any team with cap room looks at those 7 sacks, it could be over quick.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope the Packers can hang onto Williams. More importantly, though, they need to figure out why the pass rush dried up in the second half of the season. Was it just because of the injuries to Cole and Jolly? Maybe, but those guys were not great pass rushers.

Justin Tuck showed the league how valuable an inside pass rusher can be, and Williams is the closest thing we have to Justin Tuck. If Williams leaves, I look for the Packers to draft a pass rusher in the first or second round and use him inside on passing downs. They may do that even if Williams stays.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rule is simple: you sign your own great players because you already know what they can do in your system. When you sign a free agent from someone else, you can't predict how they will do. Williams is a must sign for continued improvement in this defense. Someone said that we still don't know what Harrel can do. I have to say that I wasn't impressed with what I saw in that kid.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I think it was more Andrew, since he was in negotiations for the contracts...
\
but I trust that they wont miss a beat with him gone

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

I think it was more Andrew, since he was in negotiations for the contracts...
\

the cynic in me immediately thought that when we win a SB, people will say TT wasn't really the GM making the moves, but the financial VP(or whatever the title is)

Yeah....

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT's just along for the ride!!!!!!!
All acalades should be going to the rest of the Packer hiearchy!!!
TT is nothing without everyone else!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you try to retain him, but you be reasonable about it, don't break the bank over one guy when you can draft another stud DT if need be.

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
because it's just really easy to draft a stud DT, if need be. I'm not saying we break the bank over williams, but players like him don't come by every other day. replacing him would be very difficult, imo.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
because it's just really easy to draft a stud DT, if need be. I'm not saying we break the bank over williams, but players like him don't come by every other day. replacing him would be very difficult, imo.

-Johnny Jolly (6th rounder, very young, likely to continue to improve)

-Justin Harrell (coaches are still high on him)

Our coaches\management know what they're doing on defense.

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed. but Williams is a proven commodity who can get the job done as the starter. jolly, harrell, and cole were very good and have a lot of upside, but williams is the man. i don't disagree that they know what they're doing, i just think that williams is a very big part of what they're doing.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
agreed. but Williams is a proven commodity who can get the job done as the starter. jolly, harrell, and cole were very good and have a lot of upside, but williams is the man. i don't disagree that they know what they're doing, i just think that williams is a very big part of what they're doing.

I am all for keeping him, provided we don't have to break the bank. Let's be honest its a lot easier to find a DT then it is some other positions. I do think they will try and keep him, but you just never know.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if GB even tries to keep Williams but if they do, then they have enough to keep him. I'm guessing he gets one of the bigger contracts in free agency. He's young and was productive the last two seasons. He's versatile enough to probably play either tackle position and some people believe he can play DE too. So I think he'll get a big contract for those reasons not because the Giants won the Super Bowl with amazing defensive line play. Although it certainly doesn't hurt.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not just tag him for a year so you have more time to evaluate the younger guys. Then after next season, we will no exactly what we have at DT. I think Jolly was outplaying Williams at the beginning of the season.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not just tag him for a year so you have more time to evaluate the younger guys. Then after next season, we will no exactly what we have at DT. I think Jolly was outplaying Williams at the beginning of the season.

Would you pay over 6 million dollars for a player who will rotate in rather than being a full time player or would you rather sign a DE like Justin Smith or Jared Allen long term and then just kick Cullen Jenkins back into the DT rotation.

I might find myself going with option 2 but I can't say I'd be upset with either or.

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you pay over 6 million dollars for a player who will rotate in rather than being a full time player or would you rather sign a DE like Justin Smith or Jared Allen long term and then just kick Cullen Jenkins back into the DT rotation.

Well, when you put it that way....

But, Jarred Allen is staying in KC, and Justin Smith might be more than the Packers are willing to pay, too. I think he was "franchised" (is that the correct way to say it? Franchise tagged? Tagged?) last season, so he'll want lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of money. i like our past couple of years' approach of front-loading contracts, but that's because they have all panned out to be decent players. if they didn't pan out, and the team ended up cutting or trading them, then it would't look like such a smart move. Anyway, i don't know what we'll do.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

But, Jarred Allen is staying in KC, and Justin Smith might be more than the Packers are willing to pay, too. I think he was "franchised" (is that the correct way to say it? Franchise tagged? Tagged?) last season, so he'll want lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of money. i like our past couple of years' approach of front-loading contracts, but that's because they have all panned out to be decent players. if they didn't pan out, and the team ended up cutting or trading them, then it would't look like such a smart move. Anyway, i don't know what we'll do.

Allen wasn't franchised yet but probably will be unless a fallout happens. I wouldn't be shocked to see him not in a Chiefs uniform next year whether it be trade or signing elsewhere.

Smith the last I heard wasn't franchised or whatever. He was a year ago but I don't believe he was this year and I don't think he will be. If I had a choice of paying for Smith or Williams, I might take Smith because I think we're better at DT than we are at DE and Jenkins can just as easily move inside and become a pass rushing DT.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
porky88 said:

Allen wasn't franchised yet but probably will be unless a fallout happens. I wouldn't be shocked to see him not in a Chiefs uniform next year whether it be trade or signing elsewhere.

Smith the last I heard wasn't franchised or whatever. He was a year ago but I don't believe he was this year and I don't think he will be. If I had a choice of paying for Smith or Williams, I might take Smith because I think we're better at DT than we are at DE and Jenkins can just as easily move inside and become a pass rushing DT.

I'm on bored with getting Smith, but you know we won't win any bidding wars, so then you're back with what to do with Williams. Pork, I do agree that Williams isn't worth the 6 million, but don't we need a safety valve if Harrell can't go. I really like Jolly, and Muir plays with a very high motor. The sweetest thing would be to land Sean Rogers, but I'm not sure of his status in Detroit. I've heard he wants out, like the rest of the team.

Members online

Latest posts