Bad news for the Vikings

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK...Cutler, Ryan and Tannehill and certainly not without doubt better considering all have played on better teams than Bradford. Smith coudln't throw a TD pass to a WR for an entire season and you're claiming he's better? So, by my count that would put Bradford in a tie for somewhere around 18? In a league featuring 32 teams, that's decent considering Bortles is a terrific example of how TDs aren't the best indicator of how a QB actually performed. Much of Bortles success was sheer volume and anomalous performance (unless you honestly believe that Blake Bortles will continue to convert red-zone passes into touchdowns at a rate that would be the highest in NFL history).

I disagree. Every player you said isn't better I'd rate better easily. Smith, Ryan and yes even Cutler are easily better options at QB and Bortles while did have volume to put up those numbers put up better numbers on a team that wasnt good but still was better his last season then Bradford ever has

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Ok quick list of all the QBs that are better right now today

1.Rodgers
2.Brady
3.Big Ben
4.Cam
5.Wilson
6.Bortles
7.Romo
8.Cutler (yes even he's better then Bradford)
9.Dalton
10.Luck
11.Stafford
12.Eli
13.Winston (yep I'm saying it)
14.Palmer
15.Alex Smith
16.Brees
17.Rivers
18.Carr
19.Ryan
20.Flacco
21.Mariota
22. Tannehill
(This list is in no particular order)

Thats just off the top of my head and I could argue Cousins is better also And I left Teddy B off for obvious reasons. Really wasn't that hard. Pretty much just went through every teams starting QB in my head and came up with few that I was like " Yep they'd win more games with Bradford"
And how many of them were available for trade? Yeah. It's easy to pick it apart when it's a rival team. But tell me, if Rodgers goes down, who do the Packers have backing him up? Can he replace Rodgers production? Yeah, thought not. Bradford doesn't have to be Brady or Rodgers. He just has to be as good as Bridgewater was last year or a bit better.

Bradford's second half of the season last year was better than his first half. And seriously, with the Rams he didn't have the same quality of players around him the Vikings have. Quick, can you name two WR's on the Rams when he was there, without looking it up? I couldn't either.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And how many of them were available for trade? Yeah. It's easy to pick it apart when it's a rival team. But tell me, if Rodgers goes down, who do the Packers have backing him up? Can he replace Rodgers production? Yeah, thought not. Bradford doesn't have to be Brady or Rodgers. He just has to be as good as Bridgewater was last year or a bit better.

Bradford's second half of the season last year was better than his first half. And seriously, with the Rams he didn't have the same quality of players around him the Vikings have. Quick, can you name two WR's on the Rams when he was there, without looking it up? I couldn't either.

The point is what they gave up to get him. He's a below average QB at best and they gave up a 1st and a 4th to get him. Unless you think Minnesota has a defense on par with the 01 Ravens this was a monumentally stupid move no matter whether you think Bradford is average or not

D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion Bradford is an average quarterback who gives the Vikings a far better chance to be competitive than any of the other guys currently on their roster or the NFI list. They gave up a lot to acquire him especially with him being injury-prone though.

With that being said I haven't considered Minnesota to be a Super Bowl contender before Bridgewater's injury and that hasn't changed as of now.

1940sfootball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion Bradford is an average quarterback who gives the Vikings a far better chance to be competitive than any of the other guys currently on their roster or the NFI list. They gave up a lot to acquire him especially with him being injury-prone though.

With that being said I haven't considered Minnesota to be a Super Bowl contender before Bridgewater's injury and that hasn't changed as of now.

injury prone is when bump into a cabinet a lot.
Linemen falling on you doesnt make you injury prone.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is also the fact that Bradford is 0-6 all time vs the NFC North.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all 3 seasons with STL, with a combined record of 14-26-1 vs the league.
2010: 7-9
2011: 2-14 (injured portion of season)
2012: 7-8-1

All that to say it isnt like he was the reason these teams were bad. They were already bad teams. The Vikings now are likely the best team he has had around him in every phase of the game.

I just do not think its smart to dismiss him due to his poor seasons on poor teams.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://bringmethenews.com/2016/07/12/vikings-picked-near-the-top-in-nfl-future-power-rankings/

Vikes were #8 in power ranking with qb rank being 24th. Losing bridgewater hurt them until they found another capable starter.

You are right that I think little differently about where the team sits, but overall, they should be a team to be leery of.

I'm not worried about them, but I'm not going to just dismiss them either.

I don't know how much stock to put in "power rankings." Here's last year's list for this time: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/13525863/seahawks-patriots-packers-lead-espn-power-rankings

It didn't mean much for how the real season on the field played out.

Last edited:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its a far cry from Herschel Walker, but I am loving how the new Queens management thinks. Did Matt Millen show up in the cities?! lol lol and more lol. This makes the Sitton situation look small. a 1st and a 4th for one of the most overrated pro prospects in NFL history? Amen...hey Sam, have fun on your back.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. Every player you said isn't better I'd rate better easily. Smith, Ryan and yes even Cutler are easily better options at QB and Bortles while did have volume to put up those numbers put up better numbers on a team that wasnt good but still was better his last season then Bradford ever has

Never said Bradford was as good as Bortles, I was just pointing out how numbers don't necessarily tell the whole story. And if you think Smith, Ryan and Cutler are "easily" better options considering all have played on much better teams and not accomplished much more than Bradford, then I'm just going to disagree and leave it there. Either way, Bradford is certainly a decent NFL QB if he can stay healthy (as shown in his last three seasons)....hmmmm, guess I didn't leave it there, sorry.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point is what they gave up to get him. He's a below average QB at best and they gave up a 1st and a 4th to get him. Unless you think Minnesota has a defense on par with the 01 Ravens this was a monumentally stupid move no matter whether you think Bradford is average or not

Actually, when you look at it from the GM's perspective, it's actually pretty smart. The way owners fire GMs and coaches today, if the Vikings fell apart then suddenly the GM is on the hot seat and those two picks don't mean much if the GM loses his job. Part of the problem for many teams is that most front office guys know they're evaluated on THIS season and don't really care too much about the future. Not saying that would certainly have been the case in Minnesota but I can definitely understand how a guy concerned solely with this season would be forced to overpay to try and help protect his job.

Sky King

Reaction score
The Bradford in Minnesota chapter has yet to be written. Long-term is he going to be a better QB for them than anyone they could have picked with the 2017 #1 (or later pick)? Nobody knows which QB would have been available to them in the next draft and how long it will subsequently take for that player to become adequate.

One thing that is for certain is that none of the impending 2017 picks will do them any good this season. Personally, I think it was the only viable choice they had to be competitive in 2016 and not to have completely written-off their season even before it got started. Can he manage a game as well or better than Bridgewater? We're about to begin the season-long process of finding that out.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, when you look at it from the GM's perspective, it's actually pretty smart. The way owners fire GMs and coaches today, if the Vikings fell apart then suddenly the GM is on the hot seat and those two picks don't mean much if the GM loses his job. Part of the problem for many teams is that most front office guys know they're evaluated on THIS season and don't really care too much about the future. Not saying that would certainly have been the case in Minnesota but I can definitely understand how a guy concerned solely with this season would be forced to overpay to try and help protect his job.

Your right on that FO personnel is judged on this season and not future outlook as much as it should be...... That said there are very few situations where both the front office and coaching staff don't get a pass for the year, no matter how bad it turns out, when the starting QB goes down right before the season. He'll almost assuredly be around to regret not having those picks. If anything making the trade puts a target on himself whereas before the trade the "shot happens" excuse was both viable and valid. Now hes able to be blamed for bad QB play

This was such a bad and short sighted move it's laughable. Way to go Vikings

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Almost every Viking fanning know hated the deal at first but now they are coming around to it. Probably similar to Packer fans with the Sitton cut.

The Vikings reportedly were willing to go with Bradford because they are not confident teddy will be back by 2017.

If you want unbiased looks at where Bradford ranks for qbs here are some rankings. This is why most non-Viking people think this was a really bad deal

Sam Bradford QB / Philadelphia Eagles
Few men have made more money for doing less. Oft-injured and very rarely productive.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/h...uarterbacks-and-where-all-32-starters-fit-in/

27. Sam Bradford QB / Philadelphia Eagles
He will likely open the season as the Eagles starter, but rookie first-round pick Carson Wentz will have the job at some point. In 14 games last season, Bradford threw 19 touchdown passes and 14 picks. The Eagles brought him back, but then drafted Wentz, leading to Bradford pouting about it and wanting to be traded

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/priscos-top-100-players-ranking-all-32-nfl-starting-quarterbacks/

22.Bradford showed some signs of life down the stretch in 2015 after a disappointing start. He grew more comfortable behind center, which led to improved accuracy and arm strength. Bradford did a pretty good job of avoiding sacks, even if that meant taking huge hits in the pocket. He’s 28, but injuries have limited his reps, and that’s evident in his tape. Bradford is slow to react to defenses and doesn’t anticipate his receivers coming open like most passers his age do

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/nfl-quarterback-rankings-2016

The Eagles quarterbacking situation is the worst thing to happen to Philadelphia since, well, the previous half-century of professional football. This offseason, the Eagles gave $18 million to a guy who finished 25th in QB rating last year and has a 25-37-1 lifetime record with exactly zero seasons above .500, only to have Sam Bradford whine about his role in the offense because the team had the audacity to draft a quarterback.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...ing-the-best-worst-cowboys-eagles-pack-050416

24. Philadelphia Eagles
Starter: Sam Bradford

Backup: Carson Wentz, Chase Daniel

Key stat: Bradford led the NFL in accuracy percentage under pressure last season, with a mark of 74.6 percent.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-qb-situations/

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still believe Minnesota will be in the thick of things for this division. That D is too good. I don't believe they will go as deep in the playoffs compared to having Teddy.

D

Deleted member 6794

Its a far cry from Herschel Walker, but I am loving how the new Queens management thinks. Did Matt Millen show up in the cities?! lol lol and more lol. This makes the Sitton situation look small. a 1st and a 4th for one of the most overrated pro prospects in NFL history?

Well, Spielman had to make a desperate move to improve the quarterback situation for the Vikings after Bridgewater was lost for the year. Most likely there weren't any better QBs available a week before the start of the season.

While Minnesota gave up a lot to acquire Bradford their front office at least tried to upgrade the roster while Thompson released a starter without having to do so less than 10 days before the season opener.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure that Bradford will be ready Week 1. Look at what happened when Ziggy forced Josh Freeman on Leslie Frazier on short notice. A MNF debacle ensued because the guy didn't know the offense or playbook. It ended Freeman's career and was another reason to fire Frazier.

The Vikings have a rough start to the schedule with games against Green Bay and Carolina in the first two weeks. Personally I would let Shawn Hill start until Bradford feels confident and comfortable. There's no reason to rush him into place before he's ready - first round pick used or not.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure that Bradford will be ready Week 1. Look at what happened when Ziggy forced Josh Freeman on Leslie Frazier on short notice. A MNF debacle ensued because the guy didn't know the offense or playbook. It ended Freeman's career and was another reason to fire Frazier.

The Vikings have a rough start to the schedule with games against Green Bay and Carolina in the first two weeks. Personally I would let Shawn Hill start until Bradford feels confident and comfortable. There's no reason to rush him into place before he's ready - first round pick used or not.

Looking ahead to 2017, what do the Vikings do with Bradford once Teddy is able to play again? Cut a guy you gave up a first and a fourth round draft pick for? Or pay two quarterbacks starter money?

That could end up to be an interesting dilemma.

Jared Cook was happy to sign with Green Bay in part because it afforded him the opportunity to play with a legitimate NFL gold- standard quarterback, something he had never done before. One of those guys who was "just a guy" was Sam Bradford. This is not an impressive move by the Vikings, imho. I'm not sure he is a significant upgrade over journeyman Hill, and certainly not worth what they gave up for him. This guy demanded a trade from the Eagles because he feared competition from a rookie from North Dakota State.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about the fourth-round pick? :)
The Vikings will end up with a first round pick in the bottom half of the 2017 draft, because the rest of the team even with Bridgewater is still that good. So to get a top QB in next year's draft they would have had to bundle at least a 4th round pick in 2017 (not just '18) but very likely more. The question is whether Bradford is worth it, but I think that they are paying the premium for getting a starter this year and not for 2017 or 2018.

All that said, I hope that Bridgewater comes back. He's a very likable kid and I think was beginning to see the game slow down for him.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bradford in Minnesota chapter has yet to be written. Long-term is he going to be a better QB for them than anyone they could have picked with the 2017 #1 (or later pick)? Nobody knows which QB would have been available to them in the next draft and how long it will subsequently take for that player to become adequate.

One thing that is for certain is that none of the impending 2017 picks will do them any good this season. Personally, I think it was the only viable choice they had to be competitive in 2016 and not to have completely written-off their season even before it got started. Can he manage a game as well or better than Bridgewater? We're about to begin the season-long process of finding that out.

Hes not their long term solution. Bradford is nothing more than an expensive band-aid. Teddy is their man.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking ahead to 2017, what do the Vikings do with Bradford once Teddy is able to play again? Cut a guy you gave up a first and a fourth round draft pick for? Or pay two quarterbacks starter money?

Jared Cook was happy to sign with Green Bay in part because it afforded him the opportunity to play with a legitimate NFL gold- standard quarterback, something he had never done before. One of those guys who was "just a guy" was Sam Bradford. This is not an impressive move by the Vikings, imho. I'm not sure he is a significant upgrade over journeyman Hill, and certainly not worth what they gave up for him. This guy demanded a trade from the Eagles because he feared competition from a rookie from North Dakota State.
I'd say that Philly already made that choice on draft day. The Eagles were a deadend for Bradford. I certainly agree that he isn't a top-notch quarterback, but in the right system (as with any QB) I think that he can be better than he has been.

I think that the first 2017 question is "if" Teddy can play next year. If that's the case, I think that Sam will be asked to take a pay cut and be the backup. Shaun Hill would be done and MN would likely just look at the low end of the draft for a camp QB to be 3rd string or stick with Stave.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say that Philly already made that choice on draft day. The Eagles were a deadend for Bradford. I certainly agree that he isn't a top-notch quarterback, but in the right system (as with any QB) I think that he can be better than he has been.

I think that the first 2017 question is "if" Teddy can play next year. If that's the case, I think that Sam will be asked to take a pay cut and be the backup. Shaun Hill would be done and MN would likely just look at the low end of the draft for a camp QB to be 3rd string or stick with Stave.

You can always ask a guy to take a pay cut. That doesn't mean he's going to agree to it.

And if he doesn't, then what's the plan? Dump him after you gave up so much to get him?

This was a panic trade, and the Eagles took full advantage of a GM who was freaking out.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There are very serious doubts that Teddy will be ready to play in 2017. That is part of the reason the Vikings dealt for a guy who had 2 years according to their GM. An ACL injury would put Teddy right up against the start of the season but since what he had was much worse than your garden variety acl tear with the dislocated knee and femur and tibia separating he likely wont be close to being ready for the start of next year.