Any other Business/Banter

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

We have several disc golf courses near here. One of the favorites is located at Gifford Pinchot State Park , 10 minutes from my house! I haven't played that or regular golf in years. Golf is very expensive in our area as well. When I was a young man, before I went into my life's profession, I was a manager at a small chain store (stop and rob). The Supervisor would come by on Friday afternoons and take me and my older brother (who managed another store in the chain) out golfing. I think I was about 20 years old back then. So its been a little while since I've been on a golf course. I could afford it in management, but not in ministry.

Somebody once described golf as "A good walk spoiled". I think he had a point most of the time ;)

I

yeah, it can be really infuriating at times. i had my first round last year, and surprised myself that i enjoyed it, must be getting old!!

If nothing else mate, you`ll learn plenty of new swearwords !! :D I know I did.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
They've been announce already nessie
Ooops, thanks. :oops:
Did not even check it on the SPL website because I thought it might be too early. Let me see what games might fit our travel itinerary in September. I'm trying to talk my wife into watching one or two matches on our trip :D

Edit: First disappointment - Dons are playing two away games in a row. So I can cross them off my list. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, the Queen is flying back home and they even air her departure on German TV. I thought we got rid of monarchy after 1918. :cautious: :D
However, this old lady made a remarkable speech about European unity, well done, Her Majesty. Hopefully Mr. Cameron listened carefully ;)

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Wow, the Queen is flying back home and they even air her departure on German TV. I thought we got rid of monarchy after 1918. :cautious: :D
However, this old lady made a remarkable speech about European unity, well done, Her Majesty. Hopefully Mr. Cameron listened carefully ;)
The old biddy is German nessie, cameron is a total old etonian panhead. Feel free to keep both of them especially cameron. ;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I'm in Edinburgh next weekend and regarding the weather it looks like a bad deal for us.
Weather forecast for Hamburg is sunny and up to 36 degrees Celsius on Friday and Saturday, in Edinburg heavy rainshowers and around 19 degrees Celsius. Come on guys up there, whats wrong with your weather ?
It's officially summer ! :rolleyes::D

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Well, I'm in Edinburgh next weekend and regarding the weather it looks like a bad deal for us.
Weather forecast for Hamburg is sunny and up to 36 degrees Celsius on Friday and Saturday, in Edinburg heavy rainshowers and around 19 degrees Celsius. Come on guys up there, whats wrong with your weather ?
It's officially summer ! :rolleyes::D
Been a washout of a summer this year nessie.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been a washout of a summer this year nessie.
Same here....until today. And now it's getting very warm for this part of the country! :eek:
However, hope it will be at least mostly dry in Edinburgh so that I can walk around. Haven't been to Tynecastle Stadium so far, my plan is to do it this time.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
though it was like this for an hour at 2am this morning
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Wow, they expect thunderstorms here as well. Was 34 degrees outside when I was walking around during my lunchbreak. Pretty unusual temperatures for us here in the north of Germany.

I

@ Croak and @Itkovian . Purely out of interest here, Croak and I had a jaw about ACW re-enactment which was also an interest of mine too. Croak mentioned his connections to two regiments. Can I ask was this something that happened, or did your family have any historical connection to them ?? I`ve been fascinated by this period of history for years.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
that is warm Nessie. we start wearing shorts at about 10 degC, taps aff at 15deg C, and above 20 it can get scary
Funny, the lady at the B&B we are staying at was talking about the "heatwave" that was hitting Scotland at the moment. It was 23 degrees today in Edinburgh :laugh:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
@ Croak and @Itkovian . Purely out of interest here, Croak and I had a jaw about ACW re-enactment which was also an interest of mine too. Croak mentioned his connections to two regiments. Can I ask was this something that happened, or did your family have any historical connection to them ?? I`ve been fascinated by this period of history for years.

The 50th Pennsylvania Volunteers and the 100th PA Volunteers were from western PA mostly. We joined the unit because a man from my church, way back when, found out that I was a CW buff and invited us to join.

On a personal level, we had several family members in the CW. One was originally in the PA militia when Governor Curtin called for Volunteers to repel Lee's invasion of PA because the "powers that be" in Washington didn't believe Lee would cross into PA. This ancestor was PA militia, then after Gettysburg he signed on with the 3rd PA light artillery, Company C. Another great grandfather was with the PA Cavalry at Gettysburg. He mustered into service in June of 1863. The first action he saw was Gettysburg and he fought with his unit the whole way through to Appomattox.

I have copies of the pay stubs, muster rolls and hospital stays of the one Great Grandfather. My brother has his saber and hat.

The Church I Pastored was right on the Mason Dixon line. Part of the property was in Maryland and part in PA. In 1862 the moved the whole building out of Maryland and into PA. It was a way station for the underground railroad. PA contributed a very large number of soldiers to the Union Army.

Generals Meade, Hancock and Reynolds were all from PA. I'll see if I can find the pick of me and my boys in our re-enacting days.

In the picture I am the skinny guy in the "sherman's bummer" hat on the far left. Itkovian is the kid, 3rd from left.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Here's one of me at the Wax Museum in Gettysburg. We used to camp in front of the Museum and do demonstrations and answer visitor's questions about the Civil War.

And here is one of the boys and me; Itkovian on the far right.

Last edited:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
That top picture was actually taken by a visitor to Gettysburg who came from Germany. They were amazed that I overheard them talking to each other, then spoke to them in their native language. I answered their questions in German as well. The older gent took a picture and sent it to me.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
One more. I'm kneeling on the ground with my hand on my knee. This was at a re-enactment of the battle of Brandy Station.

Members online