1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

96 vs 11 and Freemans comments

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Oct 27, 2011.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,617 / 92 / -35
    the JS packer blog had some comments by Freeman, Favres go to guy in 96 and his thoughts on how the 96 packers would match up against this team.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/132711548.html

thoughts on his comments and how the two teams would match up?
  2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,617 / 92 / -35
    Whatever tackle you had lined up against Reggie would get eaten alive. Aaron would be running for his life. Even clifton on his best day couldnt stop a motivated Reggie White.
  3. PackPackPackers

PackPackPackers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +39 / 20 / -1
    Farve would throw 10000000000000000000000 INTS.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dbain21

dbain21 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Reggie would get to Rodgers at least twice probably, but Rodgers release it just too quick to be affected. don't forget last years defense was a great great defense, I think they would win the game ultimately.
  5. Helmets

Helmets Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211 / 2 / -0
    Rodgers would just side step Reggie and hit Jennings who would run past the flat footed Butler and the slow Eugene Robinson. Who would cover Finley? Butler? As much as I hate to admit it, Favre would keep it close - as we would have no pass rush. In addition, McCarthy would allow the '96 team to stay in the game by not stepping on their necks with the no huddle offense - with those aging veterans gasping for breathe like Amish draft horses. Yes, McCarthy would turn to huddling up and running Starks, and Kuhn to protect the lead. The Grave Digger would be stuffing, shaking, and digging. Favre would lead a comeback on the last drive, but in all too memorable fashion, would throw a duck trying to hit Rison, and Woodson would pick it to seal the Victory.

Final score 2011 Team 31, 1996 Team 28

And yes Ivo, Crosby nails one down the middle from 53 yards out...
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Packers_89

Packers_89 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I didn't watch the 96 team as I would have been 6-7 years old and wasn't into football then. But the 2011 team would win just because I say so.

Also Rodgers is less likely to throw a INT than BrINT. Even in his prime years.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. bhuggins

bhuggins Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15 / 3 / -0
    The '96 defense was loaded. The d-line had in addition to Reggie... Santana Dotson, Sean Jones and Gilbert Brown. All four were superior to the current d-line. The linebackers were solid anchored by Koonce and the d-backs were a grat group. What they lacked in speed they more than made up in experience and physicality. Butler, Robinson, Evans and Newsome were collectively the best group in the league at that time. The defensive line would cause alot of problems for Rodgers and the running game. As for the other side, Favre was at his best during that era and the reciving corps was very gifted with Freeman, Brooks, Jackson, Chmura. But the one are that is most overlooked on the '96 team was the offensive line. Probably the best o-line ever assembled in Packers history with the exception of the 1960's dynasty. Aaron Taylor, Frank White, Gary Timmerman, Earl Dotson and John Michels would have more than held their own aginst the current Packers' defense.

I would give a slight edge to the 1996 team 27-24.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,122 / 2 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    and who's to say Rodgers is at his peak YET?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SanDiegoCheese

SanDiegoCheese West Coast Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Yeah 96 team wins a close one. Gilbert brown and Reggie White would have a field day with the '11 O-line.
    Rodgers and Jennings keep the it close but Chris Jacke hit game winning field goal as time expires.

96 Packers 24
    '11 Packers 21
  10. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,617 / 92 / -35
    No way he just side steps him. How you going to side step a body being thrown at you?

Its not crosby from 53 I worry about, its crosby from 35 I worry about.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,399 / 8 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    Now has got to be the worst time to sic Reggie White on Aaron Rodgers with our Oline being weak at tackle. I still think the '11 Packer offense can score on the '96 Packer defense. However, lets switch gears for a minute and think about Favre and the '96 offense against the '11 defense. If with the current D's "problems," I still have visions of Matthews and Raji racking up 6 sacks between the two of them, and Woodson taking it to the house 3 times.

It would be a good matchup, but it's hard for me to imagine these two teams playing each other because I love them both. Reggies's '96 team, I will love for all of time, but this current team is close in my heart. It's kind of like imagining two people, (teams) that you love most in the world dueling. It hurts to think of it, but interesting to imagine.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,399 / 8 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    Are we talking about the '11 team being at it's best (defense) and healthy? That could change things. Also, what of the two most recent SB teams going head to head. The '10 team Vs. '96.
  13. SanDiegoCheese

Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    I have to respectfully disagree, we can't write off Brett Favre that easy. In the 96 season Brett had 39 TD passes to only 13 Ints, and he was in the middle of his 3 MVP consecutive MVP season (1995-1997) That stat alone is mind blowing! Throw in Edgar Bennett, Dorsey Levens, Don Beebe, Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman, Andre Rison, Desmond Howard, Mark Chmura. The 96 team would give the '11 team all it could handle.
  14. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,079 / 51 / -37
    Yes, so overlooked that some Packers fans don’t remember their names. Frank Winters was the center and Adam Timmerman was the OG. BTW, I’ll be kind and just say John Michels was not good, even before he got injured. He was a reach in the first round by Wolf as he attempted to replace the very good LT Ken Ruettgers, who was playing his last season in ‘96. Michels qualifies as one of Wolf's first round busts. Journeyman Bruce Wilkerson came in to save the day at LT. IMO the Packers OL from 2003 rivaled the ’96 line and was better run blocking.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. SanDiegoCheese

Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Frank Winters, was the ROCK of the O-Line. :tup:

One of the best O-Lineman in Pack history.
  16. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979 / 0 / -0
    Haven't there been another thread with this same subject? I know that the software isn't showing pre-existing threads, but I remember discussing this, and with you Ivo.
  17. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871 / 5 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Sorry but that 96 defense was loaded, and I don't know if the o-line on the '11 team would be able to stop the pass rush

and sure Favre throws picks, but back in 1996, that was his prime time.
  18. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,399 / 8 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    There have been a few threads that I can recall that compare and contrast the '96 team with the '10 team or '11 team. There was also one on which team you thought was stronger/ better. It's an interesting topic.

One difference between the two teams is the '11 team has a really good chance of defending the Championship, while the '96 team did not.
  19. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    Hell Desmond Howard would have four returns for TD's against Slocums special teams.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    The 96 team had a good chance too but blew it. Hope history doesn't repeat itself.
  21. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979 / 0 / -0
    The 96' team did not have a chance or did not defend?
  22. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,399 / 8 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    Not at all. I should rephrase: they didn't win two SBs in a row as it looks like the '11 team will do. But as 13TC said, hopefully they won't blow it.
  23. 2411t

2411t Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +116 / 1 / -0
    So this is what our season has come to... no contenders this year so we compare Pack on Pack! hahah... love it
    • Like Like x 1
  24. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,617 / 92 / -35
    I believe we discussed 2010 vs 96, but I just liked Freemans comments and thought it was worth a thread.
  25. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979 / 0 / -0
    Right, this is 96 x 2011, not 2010.