96 vs 11 and Freemans comments

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow! Freeman picked his '96 team to win? What a shocker!

The only thing that comes close to this is the Vikes vs Packers when what's-his-face played as QB for the Vikes vs Rodgers.
We all know how that turned out: Final record is 2-2 for both teams.
Too bad A-Rod didn't have more wins but at least the old has been overrated rust bucket didn't either.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'd have to say that the '96 Packers had a defense in the dominant sense. That team led the NFL in scoring, while giving the least points at the same time. It's hard to believe that the league has changed so much in 15 years. At least in '96, the defense had a fighting chance. Now they're fighting the opponents and the rule book. It's really a comparison that can't be made -- I can watch both Super bowls 24/7 -- and will probably put the '96 SB into the player this weekend...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One very underrated factor is rules.

If it's the 2011 rules, the 2011 team has a CLEAR advantage with it's wide sets. If it's the 1996 rules, then Rodgers would get knocked down A LOT.

Field conditions is also another one. But that one, interesting, if it's a very snowy or rainy day, it will go to the 2010 team. Favre always made mistakes in bad weather, Rodgers doesn't make mistakes.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

If it's the 2011 rules, the 2011 team has a CLEAR advantage with it's wide sets. If it's the 1996 rules, then Rodgers would get knocked down A LOT.

VERY good point, RS. Quarter back protection rules are also much more severe now than they were then. A lot of roughing the passer calls that are called now would not of been called then.

The NFL's crackdown on what it sees as illegal hits (leading with the helmet, helmet to helmet) might also change the outcome of the game.

bhuggins

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Field conditions is also another one. But that one, interesting, if it's a very snowy or rainy day, it will go to the 2010 team. Favre always made mistakes in bad weather, Rodgers doesn't make mistakes.

Actually, in his prime, Favre was THE BEST cold weather QB in the league. I believe he had streak of 24 wins when the temperature dropped below 32 degrees. In cold or sloppy weather the edge would definitely go to the '96 Packers as they were built for that condition. The latest versions of the Packers seem to struggle in cold weather.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, in his prime, Favre was THE BEST cold weather QB in the league. I believe he had streak of 24 wins when the temperature dropped below 32 degrees. In cold or sloppy weather the edge would definitely go to the '96 Packers as they were built for that condition. The latest versions of the Packers seem to struggle in cold weather.
When did they struggle in cold weather? Against the Bears, a team that they ALWAYS struggle?

This team hasn't played on really cold weather. The rationale was that, with plays breaking down, Favre was bound to force throws. And Rodgers doesn't force throws. And it's not like Favre has the arm advantage here...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

that is an awesome point on the rules..

But for cold weather, Brett was at one point somewhere around 30 wins (someone verify? ) and no losses when starting game temp was under 34..

The 1st loss in cold weather, may have been that Falcon playoff loss in GB

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that is an awesome point on the rules..

But for cold weather, Brett was at one point somewhere around 30 wins (someone verify? ) and no losses when starting game temp was under 34..

The 1st loss in cold weather, may have been that Falcon playoff loss in GB
That's a good point, though I didn't say exclusively cold weather, I said bad weather, which includes rain and wind, conditions where Favre himself said he struggled with, IIRC. He said that he wasn't as bothered by cold weather as he was by rain and wind.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Reaction score
The 2011 squad has more stamina ... so if it's close in the 4th, the current squad would be running circles around the out of breathe 96' squad as they're trying to grab the nearest oxygen masks.

Dom could use Woodson as a Steve Atwater type... Rodgers and the offense would figure out a mismatch to take advantage of and just keep exploiting it. Then again, Favre was making it look easy/insanely on fire at that point...

idk.... Our oline could do whatever the undersized bronco's oline did... CUT BLOCK!

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Made a simulation at that site.

2010 Green Bay Packers x 2010 Pittsburgh Steelers, at Cowboys Stadium

Result:
Green Bay Packers 3
Pittsburgh Steelers 31

Made another one, Steelers 20 Packers 13
Too funny. About as accurate as Tom Silverstein's picks.
:roflmao:

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd have to go for the 1929 team which went undefeated. I mean it was our first championship. Nothing is better than that. During the 1929 season the Packer defense registered eight shutouts. It was the first of three consecutive Championsips for Green Bay, bettering teams from New York, Chicago and throughout the league, with all-time greats and future Hall of Famers Mike Michalske, Johnny Blood McNally, Cal Hubbard, and Arnie Herber. During this period the Packers won 30 consecutive home games without defeat, an NFL record which still stands.

I remember listening to those games on the radio.:devilish:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd have to go for the 1929 team which went undefeated. I mean it was our first championship. Nothing is better than that. During the 1929 season the Packer defense registered eight shutouts. It was the first of three consecutive Championsips for Green Bay, bettering teams from New York, Chicago and throughout the league, with all-time greats and future Hall of Famers Mike Michalske, Johnny Blood McNally, Cal Hubbard, and Arnie Herber. During this period the Packers won 30 consecutive home games without defeat, an NFL record which still stands.

I remember listening to those games on the radio.:devilish:
1962 team was the best football team ever assembled. 13-1, offense had 29.6 PPG in that era (1st in the league), defense 10.5 PPG (1st). 3 shutouts in the season, 7 games total with the defense giving single digit scores, 26 was the most points given (loss to Lions), but 7 of those came from a fumble recovered and 2 of them by a safety (so the defense allowed 19 points). 4 games where the offense scored more than 40 points (again, in that era), and the team won 10 games by 2 possessions.

And those are just the stats. The lineup is the classic Lobardi era lineup, with most at their prime:
QB: Starr
RB: Hornung
FB: Taylor
WR: Dowler
WR: McGee
TE: Kramer
LT: Skoronsky
LG: Thurston
C: Ringo
RG: Kramer
RT: Gregg

DE: Davis
DT: Hanner
DT: Jordan
DE: Quinlan
LB: Currie
LB: Nitschke
LB: Forester
CB: Adderley
CB: Whittenton
S: Wood
S: Gremminger

That's 11 Hall of Famers, including Lombardi.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1962 team was the best football team ever assembled. 13-1, offense had 29.6 PPG in that era (1st in the league), defense 10.5 PPG (1st). 3 shutouts in the season, 7 games total with the defense giving single digit scores, 26 was the most points given (loss to Lions), but 7 of those came from a fumble recovered and 2 of them by a safety (so the defense allowed 19 points). 4 games where the offense scored more than 40 points (again, in that era), and the team won 10 games by 2 possessions.

And those are just the stats. The lineup is the classic Lobardi era lineup, with most at their prime:
QB: Starr
RB: Hornung
FB: Taylor
WR: Dowler
WR: McGee
TE: Kramer
LT: Skoronsky
LG: Thurston
C: Ringo
RG: Kramer
RT: Gregg

DE: Davis
DT: Hanner
DT: Jordan
DE: Quinlan
LB: Currie
LB: Nitschke
LB: Forester
CB: Adderley
CB: Whittenton
S: Wood
S: Gremminger

That's 11 Hall of Famers, including Lombardi.
Yeah but you don't remember that 1929 team. I think the entire squad totaled 11.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Taylor, Frank White, Gary Timmerman, Earl Dotson and John Michels would have more than held their own aginst the current Packers' defense.

I believe the line was Frank Winters, Adam Timmerman, Earl Dotson, Ross Verba, Aaron Taylor, Bruce Wilkerson, and John Michels. The youth in this line was the strength. Dotson, Timmerman, Taylor, Verba.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts