49er Game-- Winners and Losers

Status
Not open for further replies.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
They will call that every time. Defenders are taught not to engage in a hit at that point. Clay was jacked and made a mistake. I'm sure the coaches let him know that.

I agree...Kap was clearly going out and Clay thought he could jump him at last second..

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL, You'd think they'd have won by judging your review. Most Packer fans leading up to the game predicted a win so maybe you expected a loss?

Buddy I think you're looking at the box score from last January, this game was a 6 point loss on the road against the defending conference champion. The Packers problems are very correctable.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on... Kaep was already out of bounds before he jumped. He didn't make contact until Kaep was almost out of the white! Lol... You're defending a player on your team, I get it. There was nothing justifiable about that play, however.
Last I checked, human beings aren't equipped with air brakes. Not sure what you're complaining about. Refs decided to give you guys a free down after that play anyway.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Tim Masthay - wow what a breath of fresh air on kickoffs.

Jordy Nelson - Tip toe catch was crucial, great game and not too gimpy.

Clay Matthews - appears to have left his feet before Kap went OOB, and he played well spying Kap.

Randall Cobb - is everything that we knew he is, all over the place on every passing down.

Josh Sitton - was absolutely manhandling Justin Smith, who repeatedly cried to the refs, and got calls all game long.

Dline - held the rushing attack at bay, a lot to be pleased about for their efforts.

Duds:

Tramon Williams/Sam Shields - This is a broken record, Tramon has lost more than a step, and Shields looked lost at times out there. Is this due to coaching or what?

Oline minus Sitton and Bakhtiari - at what point does this line begin to gel? on a good note, with about 8 minutes left in the game, Lacy started finding holes and the SF D looked gassed.

McMillan/Jennings - didn't seem to find anyone or understand who they were supposed to cover. Is this coaching?

Dom Capers - geared up the run D good, but did not account for the 2 best rcvrs on SF, and made zero adjustments to slow them down. Personnel on his D softened right up the minute we took the lead.

Overall, it is looking like the reciprocal D of last year, good against the run, bad against the pass. Last year vice versa. We are missing Burnett and Hayward, but the others should have been ready to play, not let a slow wr catch 15 balls for 200 yards. The possibly encouraging thing on O is the late emergence of a running game. I do not get the feeling that the niners are very good. Again the DC made zero adjustments to stop the bleeding.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm going to defend Matthews. Clay launched just as the QB was stepping out of bounds. You can't stop your momentum on a dime and Clay probably figured he was going to try to make a move to get the first down.
He knows what the refs call, we know what the refs call...that kind of hit will get flagged every time no matter how you cut it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
merged two threads..dont need a studs/duds and a winner/loser thread

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Safety isn't a concern for me, I suspect that both Jennings/McMillan will look better and more decisive when playing next to a veteran like Morgan Burnett.
Safety is not a plug and play position. It takes time for all except the very best to develop their skills and make the NFL adjustment. A lot of the same comments used to be made about Burnett in his first 2 years. I suspect we will see Banjo rise through the ranks as the year goes on. He could be our defensive Donald Driver.

H

HardRightEdge

Safety is not a plug and play position. It takes time for all except the very best to develop their skills and make the NFL adjustment. A lot of the same comments used to be made about Burnett in his first 2 years. I suspect we will see Banjo rise through the ranks as the year goes on. He could be our defensive Donald Driver.

Burnett's still not all that regardless of the money they threw at him. Jennings and McMillan are in their 3rd. and 2nd. years...they still don't understand Capers' zone coverages.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Cobb is a beast
Nelson is the man
Jolly is back

Special teams are still Special under slocum bonehead decisions, Can't kick, can't cover, can't return, still giving away good field position for no reason.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burnett's still not all that regardless of the money they threw at him. Jennings and McMillan are in their 3rd. and 2nd. years...they still don't understand Capers' zone coverages.
Experience is the best teacher. There's no reason to think our secondary won't get better as they get two of their 4 best players back.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For young players, having older more experienced vets with them makes a big difference. The older player makes sure the alignments are correct, makes sure the younger player understands his role and in general provides a calming effect.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the 49er's have a better pass rush. Call it a two-fer.
I'm thinking our pass rush will be pretty damn good this year. We got two sacks and got more pressure on their QB than any team except the Ravens in the Super Bowl last year. That same effort nets 4 or 5 sacks against most teams.

H

HardRightEdge

Experience is the best teacher. There's no reason to think our secondary won't get better as they get two of their 4 best players back.
It will certainly be an upgrade. And we'll need it with nobody getting to the QB besides Matthews.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will certainly be an upgrade. And we'll need it with nobody getting to the QB besides Matthews.
Today is a really hard day to judge pass rush because you really don't want a huge rush or he will take off running. You just want to move the pocket and take up space while letting 1 guy...clay spy rush him.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm thinking our pass rush will be pretty damn good this year.

You can think it, but the evidence in the preseason and in this game says otherwise. Without a blitz man, it's still weak. This is a perfect example of why "pressures" don't count for much...the QB threw it all over the ball yard. Sacks and knockdowns mean something..."hurry" is just another word for "late".

H

HardRightEdge

Today is a really hard day to judge pass rush because you really don't want a huge rush or he will take off running. You just want to move the pocket and take up space while letting 1 guy...clay spy rush him.
You don't really believe that, do you?

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. He has a better OL.
I agree. But just due to the fact that Kaepernick is 2-0 against the Pack with very good success and Rodgers with varying success,I thought it should at the very least be a conversation.

As for 13TimesChamps, don't disagree with me, it was just a question. I like interesting and insightful debate.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree. But just due to the fact that Kaepernick is 2-0 against the Pack with very good success and Rodgers with varying success,I thought it should at the very least be a conversation.

As for 13TimesChamps, don't disagree with me, it was just a question. I like interesting and insightful debate.

Kaepernick is an outstanding QB, an outstanding pocket passer, which he demonstrated last season. It kinda got lost in the all the read-option hype which, but the way, is already dying a fast death as predicted in some quarters (the quarters where I hang out anyway.) He's the best QB under the age of 29. Like I said a few weeks ago, if I were starting a franchise, Rodgers would be my first choice and Kaepernick my second.

Status
Not open for further replies.