2023 Round 2 pick #50: Jayden Reed WR

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I have a nephew in Michigan State who is a very big Packer Backer. He did not know if Reed would be any good due to MS not having good QBing. He sure does look good. Very quick and know how to use it and has good hands. Good job by Gute and whichever scout pushed for him.
Yup...so far anyway. ;)

Much like the over-reactions over Gary, Love, Carlson and Clifford, some fans just need to hold judgement until it plays out.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We’re operating as the youngest Roster (by a mile) at QB/WR/TE career snaps. Yet we can see if we’re playing clean ball we’re every bit a middle of the league + type team. It’s not a stretch to think this group will take leaps over the next 2-3 years of mostly Rookie contracts.
Just like what Dante and others have mentioned, a key sign to ceiling is earlier development or players that adapt to their environment rather quickly (Reed is an ideal example)

In the meantime we need to focus on staying out of our own way

To be fair we are operating at the top of the league offensively...in points scored we are #2, yards per play we are top 10 or so if memory serves and above league average, Touchdowns through the air we are tops, net yards per pass attempt we are 6th, we are one of only five teams with no turnover yet, 42.9% of our possessions end in us scoring which is 12th in the league, our rush offense is where we are LACKING big time.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup...so far anyway. ;)

Much like the over-reactions over Gary, Love, Carlson and Clifford, some fans just need to hold judgement until it plays out.
I agree 100%. Besides Gary, as far as all of the others you mentioned plus Reed I am holding judgement until it plays out. Having an opinion as far as liking or disliking a draft pick is just that. Your personal opinion. What we will never know is if the player someone may have preferred be drafted would have eventually been better or worse for the team. I also agree with the so far so good sentiment. I am cautiously optimistic that the trend continues for years and victories to come.

Reaction score
To be fair we are operating at the top of the league offensively...in points scored we are #2, yards per play we are top 10 or so if memory serves and above league average, Touchdowns through the air we are tops, net yards per pass attempt we are 6th, we are one of only five teams with no turnover yet, 42.9% of our possessions end in us scoring which is 12th in the league, our rush offense is where we are LACKING big time.
Yes. What’s intriguing about this is our more inexperienced phase doing well and our more experienced RB room is off to a slow start. I do think we need to get Musgrave more involved. He’s basically a mammoth Receiver, let him go up for a few rebounds.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup...so far anyway. ;)

He has return skills as well which do not depend upon a QB. He has already exceeded Amari Rodgers in just 2 games.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree 100%. Besides Gary, as far as all of the others you mentioned plus Reed I am holding judgement until it plays out. Having an opinion as far as liking or disliking a draft pick is just that. Your personal opinion. What we will never know is if the player someone may have preferred be drafted would have eventually been better or worse for the team. I also agree with the so far so good sentiment. I am cautiously optimistic that the trend continues for years and victories to come.
There were quite a few Packer fans that didn't like the Gary pick. I think it was more that they just didn't fully understand it. I threw Clifford in there, because it he is a very recent draft pick, that the media and Packer fans totally blasted, before he even put on a helmet. Will he be successful in the NFL? As you pointed out, I am going to wait to decide that, but so far, he has looked like a decent 5th round pick.

Post draft grades and even post year 1 grades are pretty silly IMO. A player, as well as a draft class should be given 2-4 years before an evaluation means a whole lot. Hell, Davante Adams would be washing cars, had some Packers fans had their way after his first few years in GB.

Being a star college player doesn't always equal being a star NFL player. The same with just being an average college player, doesn't always mean you won't make it in the NFL. I am under the assumption that what is between the ears of a player is an important trait that Gute, TT and the Packers organization covet. A high football IQ can offset lessor talent, as well as motivation for improving and learning.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People were so pissed at the Gary pick, even I was surprised despite loving him because we had signed Smiths, had Fackrell…just wasn’t a pressing need…but man that was a gorgeous pick!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
People were so pissed at the Gary pick, even I was surprised despite loving him because we had signed Smiths, had Fackrell…just wasn’t a pressing need…but man that was a gorgeous pick!
I was in that group, that initially just hated the Gary pick. Not because of the player, but because as you pointed out, because of the position he played and what I perceive to be need at WR and other positions. I had the exact same reaction when Jordan Love was selected. However, it didn't take long for me to read up on both players, listen to Gute's comments about the picks and come to the realization that both picks made a ton of sense. They were both picks for the future, not the present.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone has observed that Watson had an OOBER productive rookie campaign, and it sucked he wasn't healthy for it all....but don't look now but Reed is doing the SAME:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Everyone has observed that Watson had an OOBER productive rookie campaign, and it sucked he wasn't healthy for it all....but don't look now but Reed is doing the SAME:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I think expecting consistency out of a first and/or second year WR, especially with what amounts to a Rookie QB, is expecting too much. I like what we have in our WR right now. If Love improves, as well as the young WR's, the offense will start looking better each week. Playing mistake free football would help too.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reed has a 20+ yard play OR a TD in ten of his first eleven games in the NFL…..

Folks that is INSANE.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sweet!

Read back thru this thread - interesting read. There is a good reason none of us are GMs of NFL teams.
How long do you think we could play the game of "you show me a brilliant move by (insert name of GM here), and I'll show you a really dumb one"?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How long do you think we could play the game of "you show me a brilliant move by (insert name of GM here), and I'll show you a really dumb one"?
Not all GM moves are correct. The successful GMs just have more hits than the others. And a hit at coach or QB is much bigger hit than at CB, LT, or OLB.

Reaction score
Not all GM moves are correct. The successful GMs just have more hits than the others. And a hit at coach or QB is much bigger hit than at CB, LT, or OLB.
Yes. Really looking over the Draft and FA and trades that Gutey has had been involved in AND excluding Love? I’d be shocked if he was not better than a league average GM. As you said, If Jordan didn’t work out he’s in that top 10-15 GM success area if I were guessing. Pretty solid.
If he hits on Jordan with just a meager #26 overall? He’d automatically catapult into a top 5 area GM imo

Reaction score
He got to 48 receptions in New York.....55 is the rookie receiving record by Sterling Sharpe.....
Amazing Tyni. If I may piggyback on your thoughts. Because it’s important to put this in perspective.

Sterling Sharpe Rookie season
16 games played

59 Touches
789 yards from Scrimmage
1 TD

Jayden Reed Rookie season
13 games played

70 Touches
753 yards from scrimmage
7 TD’s

I’d say Brian gets an A+ there

Last edited: