2022 Draft #34 Christian Watson

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Weak!!!!

You have to include Adams, or you have to remove every other team's highest priced WR too. You don't get it both ways.

False Argument!
I didn't say "Remove Davante", I said "Besides Davante".

Point being, the Packers have had minimal invested in all of their WR's, but Davante. That investment being both draft capital and money. Until the 2022 Draft, Davante was the last high draft Capital spent (2nd round), as well as salary paid. Most teams are not built that way.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't say "Remove Davante", I said "Besides Davante".

Point being, the Packers have had minimal invested in all of their WR's, but Davante. That investment being both draft capital and money. Until the 2022 Draft, Davante was the last high draft Capital spent (2nd round), as well as salary paid. Most teams are not built that way.
Drafting in the back half of every round of every draft and having a poor defense resulting from poor coaching and severe misses on high draft picks (King, Dix, D. Jones et al) will do that to a team. All 32 franchises have weaknesses on their roster every year. The league ensures this with the salary cap and by rewarding poor results with high draft picks.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Drafting in the back half of every round of every draft and having a poor defense resulting from poor coaching and severe misses on high draft picks (King, Dix, D. Jones et al) will do that to a team. All 32 franchises have weaknesses on their roster every year. The league ensures this with the salary cap and by rewarding poor results with high draft picks.
Yet, we managed to get Players like Jennings, Jones, Jordy, Cobb and Adams in the 2nd or 3rd round. Had plenty of first and 2nd round busts, not spent on receivers AND signed quite a few high profile and expensive Free Agents, none of which were .....Wide Receivers.

Sorry, but I think you are making up excuses as to why both TT (last 3 drafts) and Gute, ignored the WR position. The only "acceptable excuse" and even it is a lame one, is "Rodgers made up for it".

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To be fair though Calvin Johnson was not a jacked WR in my opinion any special way...the dude just attacked the ball better than ANYONE up against him. Reed does that far more than Watson even and if I'm Watson I'd take notes.
I have to disagree with you on Megatron. That guy was jacked and had great upper body strength.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you on Megatron. That guy was jacked and had great upper body strength.

I'm not saying he was a pencil LOL Calvin was high pointing balls aggressively even in college. Watson has never tracked or done that to date with aggression.

Look up photos of Watson in college and Johnson in college, very similar builds with Christian possibly being bigger frame wise...but Johnson was a ton stronger and aggressive in how he attacked the ball.

Johnson for sure got bigger in his arms and body in the league for sure, not denying that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Look up photos of Watson in college and Johnson in college, very similar builds with Christian possibly being bigger frame wise...but Johnson was a ton stronger and aggressive in how he attacked the ball.
You will get no argument with me their.

Megapencil was "small" in college. He either juiced, lived in the weight room or both, because he packed on the muscle once he got to the NFL.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You will get no argument with me their.

Megapencil was "small" in college. He either juiced, lived in the weight room or both, because he packed on the muscle once he got to the NFL.

Yup he really was. But man that dude high pointed the ball!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a group of Receivers (Watson, Doubs, Reed, Wicks, Musgrave) that are still in their diapers and playing with a QB that is wearing his too.

Give them all some time and let them develop. I get the hand wringing, but how good was Davante his first 2 seasons and he was playing with a FHOF QB, as well as getting the 3rd or 4th best coverage guy on him every play.

Fans are expecting WAY too much out of this young offense. I actually liked a lot of what I saw from them yesterday. That was the first game where I actually saw a bright future.

If I have to be completely honest, I wasn't bummed that they lost the game, in the way that they did. Keeps them in a better draft position and they showed signs of improvement.
I agree, although I think the addition of a veteran WR, or an impact WR in the draft - essentially a "go to" guy that defenses have to respect - would make everyone else's jobs easier. Maybe other than Reed, the Packers don't have a QB or any WRs that defenses are forced to respect.

The season is more than half over, and I expected to see this kind of improvement 5 weeks ago, against weaker opponents. I'm not saying these guys can't work, but they need help. It's too late this season, but to keep these guys from giving up, Gluten has to help them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree, although I think the addition of a veteran WR, or an impact WR in the draft - essentially a "go to" guy that defenses have to respect - would make everyone else's jobs easier. Maybe other than Reed, the Packers don't have a QB or any WRs that defenses are forced to respect.
I guess we will see by Jan. if there is that big of a need at WR. The "problem" is, but using a high draft pick on or signing a high end FA WR, you are basically giving up on either Watson, Doubs or Reed. Not saying they won't get playing time, but suddenly 1 of them is being moved to your #3 guy. I think Reed has a great future in the NFL. Watson and Doubs both could, but need to improve and to do that, they will need to play.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yup he really was. But man that dude high pointed the ball!
I think one of my top 5 WR's ever. When I talk about a prototype WR, Megatron is what I refer to. The other thing about Johnson being built like he was, he didn't miss a lot of games with injuries. Now some might say that was just luck, but I think he was in such great physical shape, that his body was able to survive some of those hits, that others get injured on.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems upper body strength has never been a forte of Packer WR's. Not sure if that is coincidence or by design. I watch guys like DK Metcalf and they are just beasts when it comes to contested balls.
Apples to oranges comparison. Metcalf's pre-draft scouting report says "rare physical traits, looks more like a body builder. 6'-3", 228 lbs, rare physical attributes with 4.33 straightline speed. Big, strong hands & 50/50 grabs."
Watson's report? "6'-4", 208, with4.36 speed. Elite physical tools to dominate competition, who couldn't keep up with his length & blazing speed." His explosive plays came after the ball is in his hands via buble screens or beating competiton downfield.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You don't recall watching Sterling Sharpe?

Depending on your definition of high draft Capital Amari Rodgers and Ty Montgomery went day 2 as well as Sternburger.
I don't really consider 3rd round, as investing "high draft" Capital. Both Rodgers (#85) and Montgomery (#94) were late round WR picks and Sternberger while mid 3rd (#75) was a TE and definitely not much of a receiving weapon.

Good to see Monty is still in the NFL, while the other 2 are both Free Agents and probably done.

As far as Sterling, he was in great shape, but I think those big wide shoulder pads that they wore back then, made him looked "bigger" than he actually was.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't really consider 3rd round, as investing "high draft" Capital. Both Rodgers (#85) and Montgomery (#94) were late round WR picks and Sternberger while mid 3rd (#75) was a TE and definitely not much of a receiving weapon.

Good to see Monty is still in the NFL, while the other 2 are both Free Agents and probably done.

As far as Sterling, he was in great shape, but I think those big wide shoulder pads that they wore back then, made him looked "bigger" than he actually was.

Imo, Sharpe was plenty well packed compared to his league WR peers.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I think Montgomery was a very decent pick at 94 but I don't think he was deployed very effectively here in Green Bay.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Montgomery was a very decent pick at 94 but I don't think he was deployed very effectively here in Green Bay.

I envision MLF using him vastly more than MM did while here had he been a player here when MLF came.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He had his moments. There was awhile there (2016) when they switched him from WR to RB and he tore it up. He was never really an NFL caliber WR and not durable enough to be a decent RB. He seems to be hanging on to an NFL career though as a backup and a bit of a multi-purpose weapon. I have to give him a lot of credit for a 10 year NFL career, that others may not have made it past their rookie contract.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Apples to oranges comparison. Metcalf's pre-draft scouting report says "rare physical traits, looks more like a body builder. 6'-3", 228 lbs, rare physical attributes with 4.33 straightline speed. Big, strong hands & 50/50 grabs."
Watson's report? "6'-4", 208, with4.36 speed. Elite physical tools to dominate competition, who couldn't keep up with his length & blazing speed." His explosive plays came after the ball is in his hands via buble screens or beating competiton downfield.
I think Watson's biggest drawback is that he isn't doesn't possess either physical strength or WR instincts. He's certainly a very dangerous weapon with his long speed but I think he compares to guys like Scantling, James Jones and the always lovable Jeff Janis. Some guys just were born with those instincts.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He had his moments. There was awhile there (2016) when they switched him from WR to RB and he tore it up. He was never really an NFL caliber WR and not durable enough to be a decent RB. He seems to be hanging on to an NFL career though as a backup and a bit of a multi-purpose weapon. I have to give him a lot of credit for a 10 year NFL career, that others may not have made it past their rookie contract.
Yup. Thompson seemed to be able to identify those guys that could crank out steady work for a long time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
the always lovable Jeff Janis
:eek:

Somewhere, Watson just fell off his toilet reading THAT!

I hope Watson hits the weight room hard in the offseason. As we have been discussing, he really needs to beef up a bit. He has the length and the speed, you can't teach or change that a whole lot, but you can make him a stronger, better route running WR.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll go as far to say, depending on the staff interprets his play I think there might be more likely for him to be nervous about what Gute does in the first round than that of Jordan Love. Malik Nabers, Keon Coleman, Marvin Harrison Jr....all instantly IMO make Watson a much smaller piece on this roster, until his route running and aggressiveness to attack the ball changes.
Last season he seemed to gain confidence and fought for the ball. This year he seems much more timid. Granted Love is no Rodgers but that should not affect his concentration like it has. Kinda reminds me of James Jones in the sense that he had to keep telling himself to concentrate.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the incredible thing....while I don't have a crystal ball to say who, I do STRONGLY believe we have a FUTURE STUD in the group of Watson, Doubs, Reed, Wicks and Musgrave...and I even more so believe we are more likely to have two than one in that group. If the two or three that aren't the STUDS can be solid Lazard type guys this group is gonna be special as they all mature and it all clicks.
Agreed!

To a lesser degree, you also have Kraft, Dubose, Toure, and Heath still in the scheme of things.

We have a lot of talent and only need to develop along with our newish QB. I think our passing attack may be highly feared in a year or two.

I just don't see the timing and QB/WR familiarity at this point. It just doesn't look very polished at this point - which is understandable. At least this year. Sometimes I worry if MLF just isn't demanding enough from his players for 'the pursuit of perfection.'

This is why I am trending towards drafting an OT high in next draft. Another raw WR is going to take some time to develop. Excepting Harrison Jr., a stud OT will give Love some more times and help the run game, which will open things up downfield.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope the Packer coaches aren't telling the guys " It's okay, mistakes happen to inexperienced players, don't worry you will be good next year".

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope the Packer coaches aren't telling the guys " It's okay, mistakes happen to inexperienced players, don't worry you will be good next year".
There is a broad spectrum of coaching from "ANDERSON!!! Get your #%@%$ together and run the @$!##! play right. WHO ARE YOU SUPPPSED TO COVER IN A TWO WIDE 2-1?!??! HUH?!?!?! DO it right @%!$!#!# or I will get someone in there WHO WILL!!!" to your scenario.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I doubt that coaches are doing that. However, I think some players might let up a bit, intentionally or unintentionally, if they know that the season is basically over (no playoffs). Starters might feel secure enough at their positions to coast or even take time off due to an injury that if it were the playoffs, they would play.

MLF and the Packers haven't been in this position before, so it will be interesting to see how they approach it (when eliminated). Last year they were close, with 5 games to go, but weren't eliminated until they lost to the Lions, in the final NFL game of the season.

Stranger things have happened, but if the Packers reel off 8 straight wins and finish 11-6, they will have a whole new outlook on 2023. Will that happen? I highly doubt it.

Latest posts