2020 Packers first round pick: Jordan Love, QB

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, very small sample size, but I liked what I saw and as you pointed out, it was consistent with what we have heard over and over from different sources in Green Bay.

All that said, I doubt it changes the opinions of all those who still thing Love was a terrible pick and will never be a good QB.

I hope we get to see Love play the entire game against the Bears. We know Rodgers can do, its time to start putting Love to the full test in these final 5 games.

I want us to have evidence in live games where he knew at the start of the week he 100% was the starter a few times before acting on his 5th year option we are faced with this off season. Whether those in power learn he isn't what they thought and we don't pick up the option for 2024 or we do pick it up and essentially sets the 2023 season as Rodgers' or Love's LAST season in GB as a lock.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I want us to have evidence in live games where he knew at the start of the week he 100% was the starter a few times before acting on his 5th year option we are faced with this off season. Whether those in power learn he isn't what they thought and we don't pick up the option for 2024 or we do pick it up and essentially sets the 2023 season as Rodgers' or Love's LAST season in GB as a lock.
I'm actually a fan of making last night, Rodgers last game as a Packer. He still has trade value, take it now and don't look back. Use 2023 as a season to purge the cap, get some nice high draft picks of their own and what they get for Rodgers and any other player they purge.

Only one way to find out if Love is the future QB in GB and now is the time. I didn't like seeing Rodgers get injured, but I was very happy when it was obvious Love was coming in. Ever since Rodgers started playing games with "I might retire, I might sit, I might force a trade, I might play", I felt his time was up in GB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oh crap sorry yea messed that up. I'd still say same thing is most likely 2 or 3 wins tops if Love leads.
I'm just fine with 5 loses, in really well played games by Love and some of the other young players. ;)

They won't catch the Texans, but they have a legit shot at being top 3 in every round.

PickTeamW-L-T
1Houston Texans1-9-1
2Chicago Bears3-9
3Detroit Lions (from LAR)3-8
4Seattle Seahawks (from DEN)3-8
5Pittsburgh Steelers3-7
6Carolina Panthers4-8
7Philadelphia Eagles (from NO)4-8
8Arizona Cardinals4-8
9Green Bay Packers4-8
10Las Vegas Raiders4-7
11Houston Texans (via CLE)4-7
12Jacksonville Jaguars4-7
13Detroit Lions4-7
14Indianapolis Colts4-6-1
15Atlanta Falcons5-7

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually a fan of making last night, Rodgers last game as a Packer. He still has trade value, take it now and don't look back. Use 2023 as a season to purge the cap, get some nice high draft picks of their own and what they get for Rodgers and any other player they purge.

Only one way to find out if Love is the future QB in GB and now is the time. I didn't like seeing Rodgers get injured, but I was very happy when it was obvious Love was coming in. Ever since Rodgers started playing games with "I might retire, I might sit, I might force a trade, I might play", I felt his time was up in GB.

I am not opposed to the logic which would lead Rodgers being gone after this season, I'm not ready to say that puts the best team out there in 2023, but it does project the future of the franchise more so and force us to know exactly what we are to become in the second half of the 2020s (crazy to say that).

I'm just fine with 5 loses, in really well played games by Love and some of the other young players. ;)

They won't catch the Texans, but they have a legit shot at being top 3 in every round.

PickTeamW-L-T
1Houston Texans1-9-1
2Chicago Bears3-9
3Detroit Lions (from LAR)3-8
4Seattle Seahawks (from DEN)3-8
5Pittsburgh Steelers3-7
6Carolina Panthers4-8
7Philadelphia Eagles (from NO)4-8
8Arizona Cardinals4-8
9Green Bay Packers4-8
10Las Vegas Raiders4-7
11Houston Texans (via CLE)4-7
12Jacksonville Jaguars4-7
13Detroit Lions4-7
14Indianapolis Colts4-6-1
15Atlanta Falcons5-7

FTR I'm not saying I would be mad or see it as Love failure if he didn't win any of those, I was merely responding to the thought shared earlier by someone wanting to see if he can prove he can win.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope we win every game Love plays in. I think it's best for the franchise if we win out, squeeze into the playoffs and win it all. Rodgers retires gracefully. No muss, no fuss. Packernation is delirious with joy, except on draft day when we get the 32nd pick. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope we win every game Love plays in. I think it's best for the franchise if we win out, squeeze into the playoffs and win it all. Rodgers retires gracefully. No muss, no fuss. Packernation is delirious with joy, except on draft day when we get the 32nd pick. :)
When you have a moment, I have some winning Lottery numbers to sell you. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's the first time he ever impressed me. I don't want to draw conclusions from just a couple of drives. But I feel better about him today than I did Saturday.
I agree that he looked better, but I have to think that the Eagles defense relaxed a bit when they saw him come in, as well as having a big lead. Not to take anything away from his performance, but in order to properly evaluate Love, the Packers really need to let him play some substantial starting minutes in the next 5 games. This will also give Love some very valuable learning opportunities.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the first time he ever impressed me. I don't want to draw conclusions from just a couple of drives. But I feel better about him today than I did Saturday.
I'm in the same boat. He looked like he could take a snap, get to his drop and deliver the ball. He did it well in that situation. But people need to keep in mind the situation. The rubber will really meet the road when he's facing a defense that has game planned his tendencies and starts throwing stuff at him. Then we'll know what we have.

D

Deleted member 6794

All that said, I doubt it changes the opinions of all those who still thing Love was a terrible pick and will never be a good QB.

As mentioned before Love looked impressive vs. the Eagles. But they didn't blitz him at all and played a prevent defense.

I want to see him perform at a high level against a defense that is throwing everything they have at him before getting too excited about his development.

Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
You can just tell he was calm and collective in that Eagles game. Displayed confidence and poise and looked completely relaxed. His intermediate throws were mostly money shots. His short perimeter throws were dimes. Oddly, Those sideline tosses were the ones he was missing pretty regular earlier in his pro career. He hit those as good as #12 (granted in limited numbers). You couldn’t ask for too much more at this point.

As long as he keeps improving, I think he’ll be fine. We don’t need a 3rd HOF QB, we need one that is efficient and reliable.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for the Love, I've said it before the draft and I'll continue to say it shockingly now that we drafted him (I would not have) - he will be the best quarterback in 4 to 5 years from this year's first round of QBs.

Watching his tape reminded me of when I watched Mahomes' the year he came out...and I LOVE IT.
May be a bit premature to say you nailed it, but its looking good.

Came here to read and maybe respond to some of the dumber takes, but decided to be positive and highlight a great post I happened across.

Way to stick your neck out there. Great job!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
May be a bit premature to say you nailed it, but its looking good.

Came here to read and maybe respond to some of the dumber takes, but decided to be positive and highlight a great post I happened across.

Way to stick your neck out there. Great job!
Thanks for doing this....was a fun stroll through memory lane!

I remember my reaction, but was "anxious" to see what I actually said.

Scouting notes on Love. Kind of like Rodgers, I have to trust they know what they are doing, but damn....so many other needs!

First skill position player picked by the Packers in the 1st round since Aaron Rodgers in 2005.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Had to repost the song....because yes....the drafting of Love, to replace Rodgers....did turn out to be totally Ironic, don't you think?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% agree and also disagree. I believe there is no way one could bring up Russell in discussions with Love. JaMarcus had bust written all over him, character black flags (personal flag above red LOL) about him everywhere!

Love has moxy, his arm is awesome...and I don't think another QB in this draft could have slid into a better situation than he. His processing skills should sharpen dramatically just going through NFL coaching...but to watch Aaron could be special. I love character guys, and Love is that. I love lively armed QBs, and Love is that. I love a QB willing to gunsling at times, Love has that. I love a guy that can tuck and hurt defenses in short runs, Love has that.

You are 100% right though in the game study and processing are areas he MUST improve on...and I'm betting he will. The question will be if it is enough to justify in 3/4 years we have the same issue before us we had with Rodgers and Favre. In a perfect world Rodgers wins another SB 3 years from now and decides to ride off into the sunset............after winning two others the year's preceding LOL :)

@AmishMafia This post a few down from the one you quoted I feel laid out more reasons why I felt like I did. I stood firm Love to me had the highest ceiling of that whole QB class...still wasn't a pick I'm making but right now I'm thanking God Gute did.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
@AmishMafia This post a few down from the one you quoted I feel laid out more reasons why I felt like I did. I stood firm Love to me had the highest ceiling of that whole QB class...still wasn't a pick I'm making but right now I'm thanking God Gute did.
Besides maybe Brock Purdy, Love could turn out to be one of the best QB steals from the last 4 draft classes. I imagine that we will hear a lot about that on Saturday.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides maybe Brock Purdy, Love could turn out to be one of the best QB steals from the last 4 draft classes. I imagine that we will hear a lot about that on Saturday.
Draft-class comparisons between Purdy and Love are difficult. Purdy was literally one pick away from being an UDFA. Love was taken in the first round, and apparently Gluten was concerned enough about losing him late in round 1, and he traded up 4 spots to get him. I might be wrong here. I thought Gluten gave up the Packers pick and a 4th rounder to move up 4 spots and take Love.

Now a few first round QBs have been busts, Zach Wilson being the latest. I'd say Purdy is a much bigger surprise in terms of rookie play than Love. And Love had three years in the system while Purdy was forced into action in, I think, his rookie year. I wouldn't call Love a steal.

But hey who cares? They both look like elite franchise QBs. And to that extent, they're both very rare.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree. I don't see Love as a steal either. We chose him because other franchises either didn't think he was good enough or chose to draft for other perceived needs. It's certainly going to give Detroit, Minnesota and Chicago something to ponder seeing that we were 4-2 against them in Love's first season as a starter.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Draft-class comparisons between Purdy and Love are difficult. Purdy was literally one pick away from being an UDFA. Love was taken in the first round, and apparently Gluten was concerned enough about losing him late in round 1, and he traded up 4 spots to get him. I might be wrong here. I thought Gluten gave up the Packers pick and a 4th rounder to move up 4 spots and take Love.

Now a few first round QBs have been busts, Zach Wilson being the latest. I'd say Purdy is a much bigger surprise in terms of rookie play than Love. And Love had three years in the system while Purdy was forced into action in, I think, his rookie year. I wouldn't call Love a steal.

But hey who cares? They both look like elite franchise QBs. And to that extent, they're both very rare.
Which is why I said "maybe besides Brock Purdy". If both QB's keep playing as they have started their careers, not doubt Purdy was a HUGE steal. That said, if Love continues on the path he is on and ends up being the Packers 3rd FHOF QB and plays at a Rodgers like level, he was an absolute steal. Steal might be the wrong term to use, since the Packers didn't really "steal" him. What they appear to have done, was spotting a guy that they thought had a ton of talent, while other teams missed it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is why I said "maybe besides Brock Purdy". If both QB's keep playing as they have started their careers, not doubt Purdy was a HUGE steal. That said, if Love continues on the path he is on and ends up being the Packers 3rd FHOF QB and plays at a Rodgers like level, he was an absolute steal. Steal might be the wrong term to use, since the Packers didn't really "steal" him. What they appear to have done, was spotting a guy that they thought had a ton of talent, while other teams missed it.
Gotcha. And clearly Gluten thought Love might be taken before he picked and he moved up 4 spots. I admit I was critical of the move at the time and for a long time after.

If he is the third straight franchise QB to play for the Packers, well that's beyond amazing. And Gluten's legacy is cemented along with Wolf and TT.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way to know what'd be lying, for whatever reason, but it'd be fun to hear from the teams who picked before us if they'd have taken Love, or even had hin on their radar at that point.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Gotcha. And clearly Gluten thought Love might be taken before he picked and he moved up 4 spots. I admit I was critical of the move at the time and for a long time after.

If he is the third straight franchise QB to play for the Packers, well that's beyond amazing. And Gluten's legacy is cemented along with Wolf and TT.
Unless Gute had traded up into the 1st round or early second round, I have very little doubt that Love would have been selected by another team before the Packers 2nd round pick (#62). I know one team was mentioned as being ready to select him, but can't rememer who that was.

In looking for which team was ready to take him, I found this article. Figured it was from 2020, it was from Oct. 2023! Some people just double down on stupidity!

Reaction score
I would just like to say. Im most happy I was given a public humiliation and told I was a Packer Homer and that Love was nothing more than a Mountain West failure at every level. The endless weeks of an emotional tongue whipping made this week Sooooooo much more fun :) I’m not sure I’ll sleep good tonight this is such a treat.
Nicely Done you Bunch of Putz’s!! :tup: