2017 Draft/FA Needs - Ranked

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn the suspense of the off season, I need to know if we bring back Perry,Lang,Hyde. I can't wait anymore!!

TT will continue to be as cheap as possible. Don't be shocked if either of the three are NOT bought back. But replaced with second yr or first year guys. Ones guaranteed to be undrafted. TT gets off leading the league in undrafted free agents playing a lot of snaps each year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would point out that TT basically never allows key homegrown players to leave unless it's at the end of a 2nd contract. Casey Hayward is basically the list, and he was never as good with Capers as he was in his first season with the Chargers. He doesn't like using outside FA's, obviously, but he isn't "cheap" when it comes to paying guys already with the team. We will see what this offseason brings.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT will continue to be as cheap as possible. Don't be shocked if either of the three are NOT bought back. But replaced with second yr or first year guys. Ones guaranteed to be undrafted. TT gets off leading the league in undrafted free agents playing a lot of snaps each year.
PLENTY of guys get paid on this roster. Rodgers, Peppers, Matthews, Perry, BahkT, Daniels, Cobb, Nelson, Bulaga, Lang, to name just a few. You can't give big contracts to everyone and when your paid playmakers like Matthews and Shields aren't available or don't perform you can't just toss another big contract on top because you want to.

regardless, any or all 3 of those could be gone, and there as many arguments for letting them go as there are for keeping them. Lang is older, gritty and tough, but his best is behind him. probably has a good season, maybe 2 left if he can avoid injury, but is probably more susceptible as he goes forward. Hyde is a good football guy, a reasonable contract is all he's worth though. he's not a play maker and shouldn't be paid like one. and Perry has question marks. I think healthy, he's worth a decent contract, he's a good guy to have on the roster. But will he be healthy? He's played injured a lot and was largely unoticeable, was it because he gutted thru injuries that were that bad? or is he soft? I don't know. I know healthy he's a good guy to have, but depending on what the market gets for him, it might make more sense to let him go, as he also isn't your Matthews in his prime type player.

i could also make a nice list in favor of keeping all those guys, but none of them would involve a blockbuster deal of any sort.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are right. He's not cheap forgive me. He just overpays for his guys:rolleyes:
Yes, because all of those guys mentioned clearly were not worth what they signed for. Rodgers, scrub. Peppers, worthless here, Matthews overpaid now, was not at the performance he signed under. Shields was never a premium talent in the prime of his career, and on and on. I'll see your :rolleyes: And I'll raise you a :tup: .The only person on that list i would say was overpaid was Cobb from the time he signed till now .

But of course that doesn't take into account that at the time he signed he was 24, a young Free Agent, just coming off a 90+ catch season and 14 yard average with double digit touchdowns and was widely considered the top FA WR that year. It was also widely reported Cobb took less in GB than other teams were offering.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hyde is a good football guy, a reasonable contract is all he's worth though. he's not a play maker and shouldn't be paid like one...
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...ydes-interception-rooted-film-study/96628442/
"But the Packers' film study was so thorough that Hyde was not alone in recognizing the play. Cornerback LaDarius Gunter, who shadowed Bryant all day, communicated with Hyde before the snap and encouraged him to jump the route."

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-...an-t-Miss-Play-Hyde-s-backhanded-interception

Hyde is a playmaker, just maybe not an elite, shut-down corner to leave alone on an island... but he is a playmaker who changes some games. Deserves a decent raise, IMHO.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Yeah as really Hyde has heart. But not elite. But still gets the job done.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poe is another example of a player fans recognize the name of but who has regressed significantly since performing at an elite level in 2013. It's possible that playing over 4,500 snaps in five seasons has taken a toll on him and he might be more effective playing less but I don't want the Packers to spend a huge amount of money banking on it.
Poe was half way down the list of dt free agents i seen. I think he could be had for a reasonable amount... And i agree about too many snaps. Raji had the same problem here. Those big guys have to be part of a Rotation. Otherwise they fade midseason and disappear for playoffs. Just like the old worn out vetetans.

You put poe in rotation with raji, or old man wilfork. And now our nt position is dominant. And the ripple goes into effect. Need another impact de besides, and the flood gates open up. Imo

D

Deleted member 6794

First off , they were separate; a,b and c.
Second, there are then other moves to make after; didn't think I needed to find time to write a book for that to be figured out.

I would be interested in your ideas about improving the pass rush though as letting Perry walk away in free agency and cutting Matthews would leave the Packers with only Fackrell under contract for next season at outside linebacker.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like Hyde. I really do, but when I think playmaker I think Prime Matthews or Sam Shields as a DB or Nick Collins at safety. I think Hyde is very solid, but as a DB I wouldn't even put him at Tramon Williams level.

He's versatile, which is a bonus. And he's smart. Definitely a guy you can use on defense, but I don't think he's a 7-8+ million dollar a year guy.

D

Deleted member 6794

He's versatile, which is a bonus. And he's smart. Definitely a guy you can use on defense, but I don't think he's a 7-8+ million dollar a year guy.

Absolutely agreed that Hyde shouldn't be paid anywhere close to $7-8 million a season.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just about everyone wanted Raji gone saying he was washed up and now peope hoping he can make a comeback.

I guess thats the state of things right now.

Agree. It's a matter of degree, as always. Washed up after successive disappointing years and a 'real' contract. Now, with a dismal D again, a year of rest, perhaps personal problems out of the way, and a potentially low 'welcome back' contract, many hope for the comeback.

D

Deleted member 6794

Washed up after successive disappointing years and a 'real' contract. Now, with a dismal D again, a year of rest, perhaps personal problems out of the way, and a potentially low 'welcome back' contract, many hope for the comeback.

In my opinion Raji doesn't address the Packers most obvious needs on defense. He would be fine to add some depth but won't significantly upgrade the unit.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like Hyde. I really do, but when I think playmaker I think Prime Matthews or Sam Shields as a DB or Nick Collins at safety. I think Hyde is very solid, but as a DB I wouldn't even put him at Tramon Williams level.

Hyde is a 2-4 million dollar guy depending on who you are. He is a serviceable back up that can return punts. I would be okay with them going younger here with a player that has more upside and saving some $.

Hyde lacks speed and relies on instincts to make plays.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hyde is a 2-4 million dollar guy depending on who you are. He is a serviceable back up that can return punts. I would be okay with them going younger here with a player that has more upside and saving some $.

The Packers can't afford to get any younger at cornerback this offseason. Hyde was the best player at the position last season and should be re-signed to a reasonable deal.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
In my opinion Raji doesn't address the Packers most obvious needs on defense. He would be fine to add some depth but won't significantly upgrade the unit.

He wouldn't add any pass rush from the middle and would be a depth guy as you stated.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hyde lacks speed and relies on instincts to make plays.

You have to take into consideration that he's fairly young himself...and can or has played every position in the secondary. He's not elite at one spot... but he's our best corner if you ask me. Plus, Him being an above average return guy puts him at least 4 mill a year.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No way do you pay him that if he's not even the #1 Cb. However, I do believe that some team is going to be willing to give him almost 6 a season because of what he brings as a football player. Not just a corner. I don't think he stays in Green Bay as TT will get outbid by some other team who will want Hyde to be a full time starter somewhere in their secondary. Washington, Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta, and Indianapolis all
jump out as one of his most likely landing spots.

The only way I wouldn't be livid at TT just letting one of our better DBS walk? is if he replaces him with a guy like DRC via Free agency... or King, Tarbor, or Conley via the draft. This defense CANNOT afford to lose Hyde if you ask me. This secondary is horrible.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You have to take into consideration that he's fairly young himself...and can or has played every position in the secondary. He's not elite at one spot... but he's our best corner if you ask me. Plus, Him being an above average return guy puts him at least 4 mill a year.

I could see 4 but that would be it. He isn't a projected starter and if he ends up being a starter thats not a good sign overall. I saw Hyde getting blown by many times during the course of the season and he isn't the answer at any of the db spots.

I like his versatility but this team isn't in a situation where they can start overpaying a utility player.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see 4 but that would be it. He isn't a projected starter and if he ends up being a starter thats not a good sign overall. I saw Hyde getting blown by many times during the course of the season and he isn't the answer at any of the db spots.

I like his versatility but this team isn't in a situation where they can start overpaying a utility player.

Yea He's a chaser much like every other corner on the team...as far as the answer at any of the Db spots? Better yet Cb. Name one guy who is. That's how bad they are.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yea He's a chaser much like every other corner on the team...as far as the answer at any of the Db spots? Better yet Cb. Name one guy who is. That's how bad they are.

I know its a disaster but Hyde isnt the answer. He is a "stop gap". Im not completely agaisnt them keeping Hyde around but he shouldnt be overvauled because were so bad in that area.

There gonna need to make some moves and they got there work cut out for them.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'll rephrase since you missed it. He overpays for his guy's...but cheap in free agency. There ya go skip.

Missed it? Hardly. You tried to say TT is too cheap to keep his own guys. That was very clear. So when it was pointed out that that hasn't been true of him at any point, you changed your story. You're just making it up as you go along.

Thanks for the nickname though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts