2012 Draft - Round 1, Pick 28, Overall 28 - Nick Perry, DE, USC

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
From arrigo's final draft rumor

A rumor I heard from an NFC Scout was the Packers could take USC's Nick Perry and keep him as a DE. They feel that he has the frame to add weight (285) and still be effective. They are also concerned about him dropping into coverage and playing in space as an OLB, but think he is athletic enough to do it.

Good call Arrigo

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if these are posted yet

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah good call on Arrigo, kinda hitting on one of the mentions.
If we really trade for Steven Jackson tomorrow, I will really tip my cap to Arrigo!

04/27/12 - 2012 NFL DRAFT: PICK-BY-PICK ANALYSIS: 28. Green Bay Packers: OLB Nick Perry, Southern Cal -- Perry is one of the best all-around athletes in the draft. If he hones those skills and polishes his pass-rush technique, he could become the sackmaster the Packers need opposite Clay Matthews. - Jeff Reynolds, The Sports Xchange

04/26/12 - ROB RANG'S TOP 50 PLAYERS OF THE 2012 NFL DRAFT: 28. Nick Perry, DE, Southern Cal*: As had been anticipated, Perry enjoyed one of the Combine's most impressive all-around performances showing speed (4.64), strength (35 reps) and explosiveness (38.5"). He led the Pac-12 with 9.5 sacks in 2011 and may just be scratching the surface of his potential. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

03/16/12 - NFL Draft Scout Top Edge Players, OLB/DE: *Nick Perry, DE/OLB, Southern California, 6-3, 271, 1-2...Perry opted for the draft after being named USC's Defensive Lineman of the Year following a 2011 season in which he led the Pac-12 in sacks with 9.5. Considered a 'tweener who could be an outside linebacker or defensive end, Perry wants to play the latter. So he added more than 10 pounds of lean muscle since the season ended to convince scouts. Still, many believe he projects as a stand-up linebacker in a 3-4 defense, despite not showing instincts to play in the open. His natural athleticism was on display at the combine, where he had an unofficial 10-yard time of 1.57 seconds and showed tremendous explosion with a 38.5-inch vertical jump, a mark worthy of a good wide receiver. Scouts would also like to see more hustle on plays away and/or better conditioning, as he seems to fatigue in the fourth quarter. Perry was a prized recruit after he led Detroit's King High School to a 14-0 season and a 2007 state championship with 147 tackles and 36 sacks, a Michigan prep record. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange/NFLDraftScout.com

03/08/12 - USC Pro Day: Perry, who weighed 270 pounds, said he "could have done better" on some of his position drills but was pleased overall, especially combined with his combine results. He is projected to be a first-round pick. "I get asked a lot by NFL teams about certain schemes because everyone wants to know if I can also play in a 3-4 (defense)," Perry said. "It's good to be in the conversation (for the first round)." - NFLDraftScout.com

02/25/12 - Michigan native Perry wasn't an unknown out of high school. He was a blue-chip, five-star recruit who spurned the Wolverines when Lloyd Carr was fired and joined Pete Carroll at Southern Cal. Perry was a freshman All-American in 2009 after leading the team in sacks (8.0) as a backup. And became a starter as a sophomore and had his best season in 2011 as a junior, leading the Pac-12 with 9.5 sacks before leaving school early. Despite standing at just 6-2, Perry offers an impressive blend of speed and strength at 271 pounds, adding over 20 pounds of muscle in the last six months. He lined up at defensive end his entire career, but teams that employ the 3-4 formation have also taken a liking to the former Trojan. Perry has the versatile skill-set to stand up as a rush linebacker, but he enjoys his more natural position on the line. "I can handle both, but I prefer 4-3," said Perry when asked about playing in either formation. "I'd like to keep my hand in the dirt, but as long as I'm rushing and getting to the quarterback, I'm fine with whatever it is." There are differing views on Perry's best position fit at the next level, but most agree he's capable of filling either role depending on the scheme. Some prospects encourage the switch to standing up in space to get more freedom. But other pass rushers hope to keep their hand on the ground where they feel most comfortable. "I've been playing defensive end for a long time now and I have experience at that," Perry said. "So I think being put further away from what you're used to doing makes it a little uneasy." - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

02/23/12 - NFL DRAFT SCOUT PRE-COMBINE TOP 64: 28. *Nick Perry, DE, Southern Cal, 6-3, 250, 1-2...Although it is unclear exactly what position he will play at the next level, Perry opted for the draft after being named USC's Defensive Lineman of the Year following a 2011 season in which he led the Pac-12 in sacks with 9.5. That was the most sacks by a USC defender since 2007. Most scouts believe he projects as a stand-up linebacker in a 3-4 defense, despite not showing instincts to play in the open.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there's always a danger when scouts extend their analyses too far into a psychological profile of a player. Yes, when you have off-the-field issues that's one thing, but motivation is something that comes and goes in very many careers and can change a lot with a new team and a new situation.

I haven't seen anything about Perry having an attitude.

Definitely- recall, the coach that recruited him to USC left amid NCAA investigations to coach the Seahawks...

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Hoping Ted works his magic and we somehow move up in the 2nd. There are plenty of "1st rounders" still available, but will likely be gone by the bottom of the round. Need. To. Move. Up.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I HOPE he has an attitude when he suits up. We need it.
Look like Tarzan play like Jane, strut like Clayton. We've seen our fair share of guys who thought they were something, played like they were nothing, then to top it off expected a cookie when the contract came up. Humble guys do well in our system, and his attitude can be... lets say adjusted

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BRIAN ORAKPO is the closest comparison, but there are others too.
But here's Orakpo. Who else resembles Perry?
Check out www.packersinsider.com for more on Perry.

Nick Perry
6-2 3/4, 271
40- 4.64
20- 2.61
10- 1.57
Vertical- 38.5
225-reps- 35

Brian Orakpo
6-3, 263
40- 4.63
20- 2.60
10- 1.56
Vertical- 39.5
225-reps- 31

Hopefully Perry will one day have his own commercials with the Geico caveman.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From arrigo's final draft rumor

Good call Arrigo
Huh? The 'rumor' was that the Packers want him as a DE. Doesn't sound accurate to me - according to the presser, he's going to be a OLB. He listed 8 players that the Packers where interested in. Yes, he had Perry in there - but please, he listed the 8 players who were in 95% of mocks anyway.

Besides, he had the Pack taking Upshaw with Perry still on the board in his last mock

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much more on Nick Perry > http://packersinsider.com/

Arrigo at least mentioned Perry on draft day.
Most others mentioned:
McClellin
Upshaw
Mercilus
Smith
Worthy
Still

I saw very little mention of Perry on draft day by Packer nation on any forums, to be honest.
Arrigo throws a lot out there.... this was at least a par if not a birdie.
I have warmed to the pick much, as I did in 2009 with the Matthews pick that I was not initially thrilled with.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The more I think about it the more excited I am about the pick of Perry. You just can’t coach the physical attributes of size, speed, long arms, and the explosion he brings to the Packers. He didn’t bulk up to become a great specimen – he was one in high school and probably before. He’s not a “combine guy” who didn’t produce in college, he’s a “combine guy” who put up great numbers at the combine and more important, in college. He’s not an overachiever from a small college conference – he played against great competition. He recorded a lot of sacks, tackles behind the line of scrimmage, hurries and forced some fumbles. Not only that but several scouts say he appears to have even more upside regarding getting after the QB and that couldn’t mesh with the Packers needs better. We all wanted a pass rushing stud opposite Clay and we have him (whether his hand is on the ground or not).
I think there's always a danger when scouts extend their analyses too far into a psychological profile of a player. Yes, when you have off-the-field issues that's one thing, but motivation is something that comes and goes in very many careers and can change a lot with a new team and a new situation. I haven't seen anything about Perry having an attitude.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with scouts trying to assess the psychological makeup of a player. In fact I think that has a lot to do with whether players excel in the NFL or not. IMO the important thing to remember is scouts can be as wrong about that as they are projecting other attributes of college players to the NFL. Because assessing another person’s mental makeup is much more difficult than assessing how their physical skills will translate to the next level. But for example, there was nothing wrong with scouts including McClellin’s non-stop motor – or that of former Badger JJ Watt – in their evaluations. If there is evidence of a lack of motivation or a player taking plays off, that has to be part of the evaluation IMO. I posted the negative review of Perry to alert fellow Packers fans to them and to answer the question why he lasted until pick #28. While the scout quoted in that story had a negative view of Perry, check the scouts referred to in the Packer Report article quoted in this thread.

The Packers have added another pass rushing threat in Perry to add to Hargrove (probably just on passing downs) and they will team with Matthews and Raji in getting after the QB. The new additions should make Clay and Raji better and visa versa. The pass rush is already significantly improved IMO and Ted is not done!

BTW, I read somewhere that the negative on Upshaw for the Packers is he would be too stiff in coverage and subject to cut blocks.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on the college guys. But to keep it simple, if TT said he was one of the guys they targeted then they must have seem him as the best of the crop that was left. They may see things we don't.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The day after the pick I'm liking it even more. Perry has proven himself as a great pass rusher against some of the top OLs in the country, and although there are questions about his versatility, the guy is quick and athletic. Transition to OLB in a 3-4 will not be stretch for him, plus the fact that Capers' defense doesn't have to be a classic 3-4.

If we can pair Perry with a solid 2nd round pick like Worthy, Reyes, Wolfe or maybe even a top CB if there is one on the board, or even Courtney Upshaw...then I will take my hat off to TT.

ThxJackVanisi: Point taken, although what I'm saying is that psychological analysis is much trickier and much less reliable. The rap on Perry is motivation. Criticisms like that have to viewed with care and I would add, with some healthy scepticism. Becoming a 1st round pick for the Packers may be all the motivation that Perry needs. Plus, I don't remember any scouts saying Perry lacked motivation but that he did show some lapses in games, which suggested that he didn't have enough motivation now and then.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
It's a beautiful day. TT stayed the course and got his man. I hope he is all we expect. I am so excited "That's a BINGO". Now Move up in the Second and grab and interior lineman.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the fact that Nick Perry and Matt Kalil, teammates out of USC, will be lining up against each other at least twice a year. This is gonna be fun!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the fact that Nick Perry and Matt Kalil, teammates out of USC, will be lining up against each other at least twice a year. This is gonna be fun!

Good point. This was part of Jason Wilde's column on Perry's transition to OLB:
At an NFL Play60 event in New York before the draft, Perry’s USC teammate, left tackle Matt Kalil, called him "the best player that I've ever played against." Kalili will now have to block twice a year, having gone No. 4 to the Minnesota Vikings. "Going against him every day, that's why I think it makes it so easy for me in games,” Kalil said. “Whatever team gets him, he's definitely going to be a steal. He's a great player. Hard worker."
You could say what's a teammate going to say, but teammates on opposite sides of the ball don't always get along, particularly those who face each other a lot in practice.

RickInAZ

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stoked about picking up Perry. He'll be a good complement to Matthews. If we can pick up a solid DE too, as well as another CB, I think we'll see a huge improvement in our Defense this year.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The day after the pick I'm liking it even more. Perry has proven himself as a great pass rusher against some of the top OLs in the country, and although there are questions about his versatility, the guy is quick and athletic. Transition to OLB in a 3-4 will not be stretch for him, plus the fact that Capers' defense doesn't have to be a classic 3-4.

If we can pair Perry with a solid 2nd round pick like Worthy, Reyes, Wolfe or maybe.
BINGO !!!!!!

Members online

Latest posts