zero defense equals zero chance

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the cap savings assuming that Peppers is also gone?

Peppers is a FA after this year so there won't be a 'savings ' per se, but he's got a 10M cap hit this year and assuming he won't be back next year, he'll obviously be owed nothing .

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whelp injuries have to be a lot on the coaches also, bad technique causes groin pulls, hammy pulls etc.. Like are they even stretching st all??

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. You have to think about the message you're sending to your defense.
The message would be "Until you show you can stop this team, we're going to give it to the offense to win it for us." Remember, this is the same defense that allowed Atlanta to score at the end of the first half in no time. Who knows, it might light a fire under the defense.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers is a FA after this year so there won't be a 'savings ' per se, but he's got a 10M cap hit this year and assuming he won't be back next year, he'll obviously be owed nothing .

Matthews, considering age, injuries, and overall impact, will have a $15.2 hit, 4.1 dead money for an 11.1 savings.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I expect him to be on the bench because the GM / owner wants Romo to start.

Maybe but the fan outrage that would follow down there would be nuts. I just think that'd be a foolish idea because Romo has broken that collarbone and now had back problems what ... 3x in his career? He missed most of last season, won't be getting in till late this season, and other than possibly 2014 he's been bad in the playoffs. Either way though, I want another crack at the Cowboys and want it in their house because I'm of the belief we can take em down a second time and stun their fans to death.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Elvis Grbac is the only rookie to have ever thrown a pass in a Super Bowl, having attempted one late in the Niners win over the Chargers in the 1994 season.
Was Rothlisberger in his 2nd season when the Steelers won?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The recurrent and persistent issues with the Packers defense has been personnel. Injuries, draft picks that have not lived up to hopes and lack of activity in free agency are the real culprits to blame.

But going beyond this season Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson should consider going back to a 4-3. They're more likely to find college talent fitted to that than to 3-4. That would also take care of the issue of Capers. He's coached 4-3 but is primarily a 3-4 guy.

The 4-3 the Packers played in 2007 wasn't that bad. It was hit hard by injuries in '08 when MM decided to make the change. I don't think it can be said that the results the Packers have gotten over the past 8 years with 3-4 are any better or different than they would have gotten if they had stayed 4-3.

At least they won't be drafting undersized college defensive ends and trying to make outside linebackers out of them or wasting and losing a Pro Bowl defensive end before his time trying to do the square peg in the round hole bit.

D

Deleted member 6794

But going beyond this season Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson should consider going back to a 4-3. They're more likely to find college talent fitted to that than to 3-4. That would also take care of the issue of Capers. He's coached 4-3 but is primarily a 3-4 guy.

At least they won't be drafting undersized college defensive ends and trying to make outside linebackers out of them or wasting and losing a Pro Bowl defensive end before his time trying to do the square peg in the round hole bit.

I agree that playing a 4-3 defense would make it easier to evaluate most college players but there aren't any indications the Packers are planning to change their defensive scheme for next season.

Arkaign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but owners change their minds.

I don't think a rookie QB has ever won a Super Bowl. I'm not sure if one has even started for a Super Bowl loser other than Manning. Maybe an injury replacement had to fill in somewhere along the way but that doesn't really count. That might be part of Jones' thinking.

I wouldn't be surprised if they stay with Prescott, but if the kid hits a wall and has a bad game the switch gets made.

Dallas and GB are my teams, but I'm able to follow Dallas much more closely being from TX.

I do think Romo will come back in this year. He seems to always have one rusty game or half game before getting into form, but there are no guarantees when you get to the mid 30s in age, and when the dropoff comes it's stunning (eg; 2014 Peyton vs 2015 Peyton).

The more educated football analysts seem to know that Dak is extremely impressive for a rookie, but still a rookie regardless. Pressure doesn't seem to get to him all that much, but he REALLY put up a bad couple of quarters vs. the Eagles. While it's true that Philly has one of the best defensive fronts in the NFL (maybe THE best when Logan is in), that's no excuse for how absolutely terribly Dak played in the middle of that game.

Dak has some positives :

Tough, can run, doesn't pull the ball down and deer-in-headlights run either, but likes to escape AND still find a receiver.

But some negatives :

Needs more polish on fundamentals and throwing motion. Hasn't shown elite deep ball accuracy (and in the Philly game, his accuracy mid-game was abominably bad).

If Romo was in 2014 form or 90%, that's a better NFL QB in the league today. Dak was an absolute steal in the late 4th round, and started way better than almost any other rookie QB I can think of, but I think he still needs some experience to get to the next level. At least he shows an immense work ethic.

--------------

For GB, I think they take the division to be quite honest. The Vikings were an absolute mirage, they have one of the worst offenses I've seen in years. It's not even really Bradford's fault really. Bradford behind the Dallas O line would probably be putting up better numbers than Dak. But that Vikings O line is complete garbage, and a non-mobile QB with no RB threat (or even RB capable of dependably picking up the blitz), well .. they have no chance of playing .500 through the rest of the season. An offense that keeps going 3 and out WILL eventually crush their defense under the weight of fatigue, injury, and despair.

Members online

Latest posts