zero defense equals zero chance

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
every week it seems, the defense lets up big play after big play. This has to be Dom Capers last year. I would fire him now. Maybe it will spark the defense? Clay, enough with the hammy injuries. Our top 3 CB's are injured? How does that happen? Zero pass rush. It's ugly folks, and this team has no chance with this defense, no chance.

D

Deleted member 6794

And yet the Packers were less than a minute away from winning at Atlanta.

OP
OP
aristotle

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so, do we let the weeks and seasons tick away without a chance at a title because this team will not address the weaknesses they have? I for one, hate seeing us waste seasons with a bad defensive coordinator with below average DB's and a offense that lacks the balance of a good running game and a TE.

OP
OP
aristotle

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
coming within one point of Atlanta is not an accomplishment. They should be 4-4 and we let them off the hook.
the only way the Packers can win is to outscore people, and get 2 to 3 score leads. Stopping them late is not an option

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I usually have no perspective after a game, then some perspective the next day, ha, so here goes.

It was a very tough loss, but there were some good things to take. We've been waiting for the offense to wake up -- we've seen a 2 week trend of it moving in the right direction which is a good thing to see, and this was without Cobb and Montgomery.

Despite the score, there were some good things to take from the D. Julio was mostly a non-factor, Gunter played a great game. Freeman was held in check , at least relative to his YPC.

Even though you can certainly say injuries are part of the game and everyone has them, there's just too much missing without your best pass rusher and top 3 corners when playing on the road against the best offense in the NFL.

Hopefully we'll get all those guys back for the stretch run, it would be a big boost.

Looking at the NFC Standings , we're still a playoff team today. They absolutely need to take care of business against Indianapolis next week, and them comes a relatively tough 3 game road trip that they can hopefully come out of at 2-1.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm disappointed too, but it's not as if Atlanta hasn't been scoring in everyone else. We have to start winning these games, but I think people have trouble with perspective overall

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're in a decline performance wise, but HEY, we're almost 10 million under the cap for this year; and a projected 26 million under for next year(overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/). Business is good, which is what it's all about.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense was fine in 4 of 6 games. I don't get why after every loss, it's used as the only game to draw conclusions from.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I see 9-7 for this team, maybe 10-6.
I'd like to Josh McDaniel's coach this team next year
At least you are more consistent in that you only post to vent more often than not than you are in your choice of different head coaches:
This team is an embarrassment. Call Mike Holmgren and get this team serious again.
MM needs to go. Throw the bank account at John Gruden and get this right
I skipped the one from a few years back where you wanted Capers since you already want him gone earlier this thread.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense was fine in 4 of 6 games. I don't get why after every loss, it's used as the only game to draw conclusions from.

I don't always agree with Carl, but gotta put the green check here.

Given our offensive struggles I was kinda surprised we only lost by 1 point, but the truth is of course Atlanta was going to score points, they've done it on pretty much everyone this year.

Right now, I don't totally know what to make of this team, but if they can get beat 38-8 in the regular season by the Cardinals last year, then almost beat them in playoff time just a few weeks later, I think they could shock the Vikes or Cowboys just as easily. Dak Prescott may be balling right now, but I think he's going to crumble under pressure in the playoffs.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's necessarily an overall problem with the O or D right now. It's more that I would like to see a game that we can hang our hat on and show that we can beat the best. I'd like to see a signature win on our resume. Beating the Lions and Giants at home doesn't really do that for me.

We've got the Vikings and Seahawks at home yet, and I think we need win them both to really feel good about where we're going in January .

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good point, $10 mil under the cap.

can we trade Sam Shields for Gary Barnidge?

Shields has a 12.125M cap hit next year and a $9M savings if cut.

I wouldn't call it a certainty but I would wager more likely than not that the Packers move on from Shields in 2017 and likely draft another corner early.

D

Deleted member 6794

I see 9-7 for this team, maybe 10-6.
I'd like to Josh McDaniel's coach this team next year

Great idea, especially as McDaniels has such a great track record as an NFL head coach. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Actually I expect him to be on the bench because the GM / owner wants Romo to start.
Yeah, but owners change their minds.

I don't think a rookie QB has ever won a Super Bowl. I'm not sure if one has even started for a Super Bowl loser other than Manning. Maybe an injury replacement had to fill in somewhere along the way but that doesn't really count. That might be part of Jones' thinking.

I wouldn't be surprised if they stay with Prescott, but if the kid hits a wall and has a bad game the switch gets made.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense is solidly in the middle of the pack after 7 games: 15th in yards/drive; 17 in pts/d; 14th in turnovers/d; 26th in time of possession/d. It's become what you'd expect since 2010, the last year of a Green Bay Packers' defense to be proud of.

I was happy with the offense and the way the subs played. They were good enough to win. I would have liked MM to take a timeout when there was a minute to go; and let them score. I liked our chances of winning with a field goal much more than the chance of our defense keeping them out of the end zone.

Good QBs will kill us IF (a big if right now) we get to the playoffs-- even if we're healthy. We have nobody to cover the middle with the safeties and middle linebackers we have. The players say it's "miscommunication", or "assignment failure" when we give up another big play like the winning TD yesterday; or in the playoffs last year.

Maybe even coaching has something to do with it.

Whatever, it's pretty much been the same for years.

H

HardRightEdge

As to the actual topic of this thread, Capers is a man/blitz guy first and a zone/bend-don't-break guy second.

As much as I dislike Capers, I can't really blame him for playing more rush 4/drop 7 zone given how deep he's had to go at the perimeter corner position.

But here's the thing. When he had 3 Pro Bowlers in the D-backfield he could do what he does best. It's no coincidence that the Packers have spent so much cap and draft capital at CB and S. Then again, you don't have to be anybody particularly special to put up a good man/blitz defense if you have a group like the 2010 D-backfield.

The challenge is to make lemonade out of lemons. Anybody can fail at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think a rookie QB has ever won a Super Bowl. I'm not sure if one has even started for a Super Bowl loser other than Manning. Maybe an injury replacement had to fill in somewhere along the way but that doesn't really count. That might be part of Jones' thinking.

Elvis Grbac is the only rookie to have ever thrown a pass in a Super Bowl, having attempted one late in the Niners win over the Chargers in the 1994 season.

H

HardRightEdge

The defense is solidly in the middle of the pack after 7 games: 15th in yards/drive; 17 in pts/d; 14th in turnovers/d; 26th in time of possession/d. It's become what you'd expect since 2010, the last year of a Green Bay Packers' defense to be proud of.

I was happy with the offense and the way the subs played. They were good enough to win. I would have liked MM to take a timeout when there was a minute to go; and let them score. I liked our chances of winning with a field goal much more than the chance of our defense keeping them out of the end zone.

Good QBs will kill us IF (a big if right now) we get to the playoffs-- even if we're healthy. We have nobody to cover the middle with the safeties and middle linebackers we have. The players say it's "miscommunication", or "assignment failure" when we give up another big play like the winning TD yesterday; or in the playoffs last year.

Maybe even coaching has something to do with it.

Whatever, it's pretty much been the same for years.
That closely echos some of my sentiments.

But on the matter of letting the other team score in that situation, the idea makes me uneasy. If it was first down at the 1 yard line, maybe. Just maybe. You have to think about the message you're sending to your defense. Asking guys to lay down, no matter how logical the situation might be, could have damaging residual affects.

H

HardRightEdge

Elvis Grbac is the only rookie to have ever thrown a pass in a Super Bowl, having attempted one late in the Niners win over the Chargers in the 1994 season.
I mis-recollected on Manning...it was his second year. Thanks for reinforcing my point. ;)

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Shields has a 12.125M cap hit next year and a $9M savings if cut.

I wouldn't call it a certainty but I would wager more likely than not that the Packers move on from Shields in 2017 and likely draft another corner early.
What is the cap savings assuming that Peppers is also gone?

Members online

Latest posts