Zadarius Smith: "We weren't ready"

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, it's not a "it is what it is". It's not acceptable to just "not show up to play" in this game. If you just got beat by a better team, I can live with that. If you got beat because you didn't leave it all on the field in the biggest game of some of their lives, that's a big problem and they absolutely should be held accountable for it.

It's not like they didn't try. They got beat by the better team. Now, could they have maybe schemed some things differently or been more assignment-sure? Yeah, why not. But they just got beat by a better team. Being held accountable for not being as talented as the other team is on the GM/coach, not the players.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle 2015. NOW that was a heartbreaker! like on your first date and you think everything is going well then at the end of the date fathead girl tells you, "we can be friends."

This game was just embarrassing. Like farting in study hall.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These are just words, I can't really take seriously what he said. If they can't find the motivation for a trip to the Super Bowl after the 49ers had already handed their arses to them the first time, I don't know what to tell you. The truth is we just weren't good enough. He should have just said they whooped our butts and left it at that.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calm down dude. Clearly the defense didn't show up that day, matter of fact honestly based on how sorry we played hardly anyone showed up to play. I don't think he's making excuses, but the fact is they came out flat. It is what it is.
49ers are clearly better and this is one team we do not match up with at all. If you cannot be physical up front against this team they can destroy you. And we did that.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not like they didn't try. They got beat by the better team. Now, could they have maybe schemed some things differently or been more assignment-sure? Yeah, why not. But they just got beat by a better team. Being held accountable for not being as talented as the other team is on the GM/coach, not the players.
I think during the season we got away with a number of games in which we were not ready. Does not happen against the great teams.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers got pysically whipped on both sides of the LOS in both games. Had very little to do with play calling or sceme. It was man vs man in the trenches and the Packers don't have the athletes. They could play the Niners 10 times and probably have the same result each time.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers got pysically whipped on both sides of the LOS in both games. Had very little to do with play calling or sceme. It was man vs man in the trenches and the Packers don't have the athletes. They could play the Niners 10 times and probably have the same result each time.
I think they did a lot better along the Oline in the 2nd game. When you're playing against a front like that you're going to give up a couple plays and that's really all they did. The only really bad one I remember was Turner missing the blitzer that resulted in a fumble and he was standing there needing someone to block, he just missed him. I don't think the LOS was a problem at all really against a team like that. Mental mistakes that resulted in turnovers were, but I don't think they were beaten physically on offense.

Defensively, They knew were to attack and exploited it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He was taking responsibility by not being ready? :confused:

Just say as a team we came up shot...which was the truth. No need to single anyone. Saying not ready makes me questions what the heck MLF was doing to have a not ready team for the biggest game of the season!

Fire everyone. It's the only thing that makes sense.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
These are just words, I can't really take seriously what he said. If they can't find the motivation for a trip to the Super Bowl after the 49ers had already handed their arses to them the first time, I don't know what to tell you. The truth is we just weren't good enough. He should have just said they whooped our butts and left it at that.
Like it better when you said handed their arses that’s exactly what happened

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://sports.yahoo.com/za-darius-smit ... 11112.html

#1, if you simply got your butt kicked, just say so. Anything else comes off like an excuse if you simply got overmatched.

#2, if this is actually true and you simply didn't show up ready to play, this is unacceptable on an unfathomable level. YOU ARE LITERALLY PLAYING A QUALIFYING GAME FOR THE SUPER BOWL. It is the pinnacle of your very profession. On top of that, YOU LITERALLY TOLD ANYONE WHO WOULD LISTEN THAT IF YOU PLAYED THE 49ERS AGAIN YOU WOULD BE READY.

I'm just blown away that one of the leaders of the defense can come out and say not only was the team not ready for this game, but he individually was not ready for it. The Charger game was your one mulligan to say "We didn't show up today" and get to shrug it off and say it happens. Not the mother loving NFC championship game.

Is the leadership and individual accountability on this team really this bad? What kind of incentive exactly do these 53 men need to go and lay it all out on the field for 3 hours in the biggest game of their lives?

There is no excuse for not being prepared for the NFC Championship. There is no excuse for being embarrassed once again; not being prepared for a rematch against a team that bludgeoned you when both teams were at the top of the NFC. However, I'm glad he said it. It was very revealing. Most of the blame should rest on the shoulders of HC LaFleur, DC Pettine and rest of the staff.

The immediacy of the moment and importance of the game doesn't appear to have been effectively communicated to the team. There weren't nearly any adjustments for the NFC Championship in all three phases. In all three phases, the play-calling was predictable and lacked imagination. There wasn't any gumption to seize momentum on the first drive and any confidence quickly subsided with under-performing drives that consistently stalled.

Davantae Adams and Aaron Jones were the only players with any fight in them. Thoroughly out-coached and out-classed, LaFleur has a lot of work to do. Green Bay needs players with more passion.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
There is no excuse for not being prepared for the NFC Championship. There is no excuse for being embarrassed once again; not being prepared for a rematch against a team that bludgeoned you when both teams were at the top of the NFC. However, I'm glad he said it. It was very revealing. Most of the blame should rest on the shoulders of HC LaFleur, DC Pettine and rest of the staff.

The immediacy of the moment and importance of the game doesn't appear to have been effectively communicated to the team. There weren't nearly any adjustments for the NFC Championship in all three phases. In all three phases, the play-calling was predictable and lacked imagination. There wasn't any gumption to seize momentum on the first drive and any confidence quickly subsided with under-performing drives that consistently stalled.

Davantae Adams and Aaron Jones were the only players with any fight in them. Thoroughly out-coached and out-classed, LaFleur has a lot of work to do. Green Bay needs players with more passion.
And some leadership on the field wouldn’t hurt either

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There weren't nearly any adjustments for the NFC Championship in all three phases. In all three phases, the play-calling was predictable and lacked imagination.
I was watching something where they were breaking down some plays from the NFCCG. I remember one where they showed how the 49ers spread out the defense with some pre-snap motion, it struck me as very clever. I mean, yeah I'm just a casual so maybe that's why I'm impressed but damned if the Packers didn't just fall right into what the 9ers were trying to do: They left a big hole in the middle of the field and Garappolo threw right into it.

Contrast that to a clip I saw the week before after the GB-Seattle game, where they asked LeFleur about how SF had beaten them so bad the first game. And he said something like "I don't know, I'll have to look at some film and see what happened". I just can't help but think that, aside from the obvious talent difference, Shanahan just took him (and Pettine) to school.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just can't help but think that, aside from the obvious talent difference, Shanahan just took him (and Pettine) to school.

Well they did, which makes both defeats so confusing. LaFleur worked closely with Kyle Shanahan on multiple occasions and should've at least been able to under his tendencies. Adding his BFF Robert Saleh and his understanding of his defensive philosophy to the mix, and I think LaFLeur lost some objectivity at seeing his friends and family (younger brother on 49ers staff) as true opponents.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with there being no excuses, absolutely. Honestly though, if a team of professionals doesn't know the importance of an NFC Championship game without being told by the coaches, there are many more problems to discuss. I would like to open up many more cans of worms but I just can't do it. It's not good for my health. Until next year - Peace.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well they did, which makes both defeats so confusing. LaFleur worked closely with Kyle Shanahan on multiple occasions and should've at least been able to under his tendencies.
In the week leading up to the NFCCG, the press kept talking about how Shanahan had a big advantage because he knew how LaFleur worked. I kept wondering why that didn't work both ways?

Last edited:

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Lame excuse. They were ONE GAME away from the Super Bowl how in the living hell where they not ready. Hope they take this L on the forhead and learn from it.

THREE times they played in Califronia this season and all three times they got their ***** handed to them on a sliver platter. MLF and or the players gotta learn from this and be better. Next season they have once again travel to SF. Hope that time they are more prepaired.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
They had 2 weeks s to prepare, film the whole 9 yards, the team was out played, the coach out coached, the only excuses the Packers had was among themselves, MLF should probably add a new play caller if they ever hope to get over the SF hump..

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a roster that's better than the SF roster, in order to make up for our coaching deficit.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Matt LaFleur is a ********* and should have been fired straight away after the loss. It is totally unacceptable that a coach in his FIRST season who got THAT far should be allowed to keep his job. The guy is a complete jerk.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Seattle 2015. NOW that was a heartbreaker! like on your first date and you think everything is going well then at the end of the date fathead girl tells you, "we can be friends."

This game was just embarrassing. Like farting in study hall.

Do you need to talk this through ??? We have trained staff......:whistling:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya know what is funny. When he says we were not ready. The last time we played the 9ers we had a bye. 2 weeks and we were not ready then. Now the NFC championship. If you are not ready for that you never will be.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What Smith said rubs me wrong.
That said, no adjustments, nothing would have made any difference. The 49ers are better, more talented, faster and More physical then us. That, and they're just a very bad matchup for us.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"We just got beat by a better team" doesn't explain 37-8, or 27-0 at halftime. Does anyone seriously think the Niners are four touchdowns better than us? I don't even think they are four touchdowns better than the Bengals.

Members online

No members online now.