Zadarius Smith: "We weren't ready"

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://sports.yahoo.com/za-darius-smit ... 11112.html

#1, if you simply got your butt kicked, just say so. Anything else comes off like an excuse if you simply got overmatched.

#2, if this is actually true and you simply didn't show up ready to play, this is unacceptable on an unfathomable level. YOU ARE LITERALLY PLAYING A QUALIFYING GAME FOR THE SUPER BOWL. It is the pinnacle of your very profession. On top of that, YOU LITERALLY TOLD ANYONE WHO WOULD LISTEN THAT IF YOU PLAYED THE 49ERS AGAIN YOU WOULD BE READY.

I'm just blown away that one of the leaders of the defense can come out and say not only was the team not ready for this game, but he individually was not ready for it. The Charger game was your one mulligan to say "We didn't show up today" and get to shrug it off and say it happens. Not the mother loving NFC championship game.

Is the leadership and individual accountability on this team really this bad? What kind of incentive exactly do these 53 men need to go and lay it all out on the field for 3 hours in the biggest game of their lives?

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calm down dude. Clearly the defense didn't show up that day, matter of fact honestly based on how sorry we played hardly anyone showed up to play. I don't think he's making excuses, but the fact is they came out flat. It is what it is.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calm down dude. Clearly the defense didn't show up that day, matter of fact honestly based on how sorry we played hardly anyone showed up to play. I don't think he's making excuses, but the fact is they came out flat. It is what it is.

Nah, it's not a "it is what it is". It's not acceptable to just "not show up to play" in this game. If you just got beat by a better team, I can live with that. If you got beat because you didn't leave it all on the field in the biggest game of some of their lives, that's a big problem and they absolutely should be held accountable for it.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, it's not a "it is what it is". It's not acceptable to just "not show up to play" in this game. If you just got beat by a better team, I can live with that. If you got beat because you didn't leave it all on the field in the biggest game of some of their lives, that's a big problem and they absolutely should be held accountable for it.
Ok I get all that, but my point is there is no sense in crying over spilt milk. At the end of the day we went home, and that's that. So the defense didn't come ready to play, based on the game hardly anyone did. There's nothing we can do about it. We just have to wait for the next season dude. That's what I mean by it is what it is.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is all how you read it. I read it as he is taking accountability, being one of the captains, that his defense came out flat and not ready to play. If one reads it with the same anger that watching that game caused, I can see why one could read it and just be mad that he appears to be admitting they weren't ready for the game of that stature. However, I think he is doing what a leader should do and putting it on him. He didn't call anyone out, he took ownership of it.

He was a constant "stud" all year long, there is not a possible way he did not "show up" and have his defense ready. BUT...they got beat and they got beat badly. Why would he admit "lost to a better team"? Shouldn't he think they are the better team each and every game but just got got in the game? Saying they lost to the 'better' team, isn't that somewhat proving all the 'experts' that said they didn't belong were correct?

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok I get all that, but my point is there is no sense in crying over spilt milk. At the end of the day we went home, and that's that. So the defense didn't come ready to play, based on the game hardly anyone did. There's nothing we can do about it. We just have to wait for the next season dude. That's what I mean by it is what it is.

But they should be figuring out how to make sure it doesn't happen again next season, that's what I mean about holding them accountable. Why the 3 times this season that we travelled out to California did we not even resemble a professional football team the next day? We were at least somewhat competitive in some facet in all other 14 games. Is it just a coincidence, or are there correctable reasons behind it?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
https://sports.yahoo.com/za-darius-smit ... 11112.html

#1, if you simply got your butt kicked, just say so. Anything else comes off like an excuse if you simply got overmatched.

#2, if this is actually true and you simply didn't show up ready to play, this is unacceptable on an unfathomable level. YOU ARE LITERALLY PLAYING A QUALIFYING GAME FOR THE SUPER BOWL. It is the pinnacle of your very profession. On top of that, YOU LITERALLY TOLD ANYONE WHO WOULD LISTEN THAT IF YOU PLAYED THE 49ERS AGAIN YOU WOULD BE READY.

I'm just blown away that one of the leaders of the defense can come out and say not only was the team not ready for this game, but he individually was not ready for it. The Charger game was your one mulligan to say "We didn't show up today" and get to shrug it off and say it happens. Not the mother loving NFC championship game.

Is the leadership and individual accountability on this team really this bad? What kind of incentive exactly do these 53 men need to go and lay it all out on the field for 3 hours in the biggest game of their lives?
I'm with you...

He gave excuse of time adjustment? Come on...that was the 3rd trip to cali..it shouldn't play a part..

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just reinforces Sherman's comment. Not equal is acceptable. Not ready isn't.

What a moronic comment.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LaFleur basically said the same thing last week. Unacceptable to not be mentally prepared to play in a game to go to the Super Bowl. Every player bares their own responsibility, but we have a relatively young team that needs a veteran with some credibility to help them understand the urgency of the situation. I remember Rodgers expressing concern over the team not understanding the opportunity the Packers had, and it appears that concern was realized. The last two teams to win Super Bowls for Green Bay had Reggie White and Charles Woodson play critical roles as mentors for the younger players. Unfortunately, players like White and Woodson don’t grow on trees, but we either need someone currently on the team to step into that role or find someone that can.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see anything bad in there when taking in the comments and the context. We got our ***** kicked, but I also think there was a bit of not playing up to the level they're capable of either. I don't think he's wrong and while we may not like to hear it, it happens. They're human and he's not shifting blame he says it point blank. He's still learning as a leader, they have to come together and do better and be better prepared. He can't let that happen again. He's not wrong. The coaches and players all have stuff to learn

We've all seen that team play better, even against the run. There weren't many times they lined up to stop the run this year that the run beat them. But that last game it sure did.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see anything bad in there when taking in the comments and the context. We got our ***** kicked, but I also think there was a bit of not playing up to the level they're capable of either. I don't think he's wrong and while we may not like to hear it, it happens. They're human and he's not shifting blame he says it point blank. He's still learning as a leader, they have to come together and do better and be better prepared. He can't let that happen again. He's not wrong. The coaches and players all have stuff to learn

We've all seen that team play better, even against the run. There weren't many times they lined up to stop the run this year that the run beat them. But that last game it sure did.

They already did let it happen again. This time was the again, just a different version of it. How many times are we allowed to claim that we just didn't play as well as we are capable of after the 49ers kick our tails in?

It would be hard enough to accept that we didn't come to play in an NFC championship game, but to do it against the same exact opponent that already dominated us once, to have all that time to prepare again...I just can't understand it.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you underestimate how good the 49ers are. He is taking responsibility, but the SF team is really better than us on many fronts.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They already did let it happen again. This time was the again, just a different version of it. How many times are we allowed to claim that we just didn't play as well as we are capable of after the 49ers kick our tails in?

It would be hard enough to accept that we didn't come to play in an NFC championship game, but to do it against the same exact opponent that already dominated us once, to have all that time to prepare again...I just can't understand it.

I understand your frustration. I’m not sure what you expect should be done about it though. It’s a young team in a lot of key areas with a brand new coaching staff. Yes it’s disappointing, but there are a lot of good things that came out of this season as well.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Za'Darius Smith is an absolute stud who played his tail off to the tune of a DPOY worthy season in 2019.

I just feel that should be stated in the midst of this over-analysis of his post-game comments almost two weeks after the fact.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think you underestimate how good the 49ers are. He is taking responsibility, but the SF team is really better than us on many fronts.

I think that your statement sums it up the best. The 49'ers are just a better team than the Packers. This was very apparent in their first meeting and hammered home in the second meeting. Doesn't surprise me either when you look at the talent on the 49'ers and how they have been able to just hit the jackpot in the draft while they were on the down swing and were picking at the top of each round.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/draft.htm

Some day, someone will write an article on how the NFL draft and salary cap brings consistent parity to the league. They will leave out the Patriots story, but the 49'ers will be the headline.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem here is that I think the team came ready, but the talent we had lined up against them just wasn't good enough. What's Za'Darius supposed to say, we don't have the talent to line up against them (the truth)?? That tosses Martinez under the bus and everyone else who was exposed during that game. Creating a rift in the locker room. Best to deflect the questioning saying "we'll be better next time" or "we weren't ready". As he's done.

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem here is that I think the team came ready, but the talent we had lined up against them just wasn't good enough. What's Za'Darius supposed to say, we don't have the talent to line up against them (the truth)?? That tosses Martinez under the bus and everyone else who was exposed during that game. Creating a rift in the locker room. Best to deflect the questioning saying "we'll be better next time" or "we weren't ready". As he's done.

Martinez has been getting exposed all season long.

Not being ready sounds horrible, I must admit. 1 game away from the SB. But I agree with your assessment.

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is taking responsibility

He was taking responsibility by not being ready? :confused:

What's Za'Darius supposed to say, we don't have the talent to line up against them (the truth)?? That tosses Martinez under the bus and everyone else who was exposed during that game.

Just say as a team we came up shot...which was the truth. No need to single anyone. Saying not ready makes me questions what the heck MLF was doing to have a not ready team for the biggest game of the season!

Jchibz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is right tho, we weren’t ready. Not as in ready as football players but ready as in the moment. Yes we as fans know how big it is but have you ever played in one? We weren’t ready as in coming to the game and not making mental mistakes such as turnovers or penalties. The inexperience of the team and the lack of sharpness throughout the season came to burn us. We simply never played a full 4 quarter game of good football and the one time it’s required we didn’t. I hate learning experiences but that’s how we gotta take this loss as. If we keep saying they are a better team we will never beat them. The two areas they beat us at was turnovers and running the ball. Two things we could change with no mistakes and a few scheme changes. The score was out of hand just like the first game but the game was won different. No one thought they would just run the ball. Every. Single. Play. So in essence we wasn’t ready and that’s all credit to their playcallers. The Niners aren’t even the champs yet so to give them that leagues ahead of us means we are further away from the ring if they lose to the chiefs. I don’t believe we are that far. All we need as a more potent offense. This isn’t the old packers, we seriously need a retool of receivers. That and a linebacker and we will be there. Even with this roster. I still feel we had a shot if we stopped the run and didn’t give free points off turnovers. Those two points are what it means to be ready. No NFL team allows those type of rushing yards. The Niners wasn’t the only team we played with a good offensive line. We just blew it.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next year is definitely gonna tell us a lot. We play San Fran at their place again if I'm not mistaken.

Members online

Latest posts