Your favorite retired Packer?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can be anyone from any era. Watched them on TV, old films of them, just seen a picture in a book or just read about him or whatever.

(And by retired I mean that he is no longer playing football. Unlike a certain kicker and QB who are playing for a certain team west of Wisconsin.)

I'm leaning towards Chester Marcol. He scored the winning touchdown when his field goal attempt was blocked, with just seconds left against Da Bears. All he could do is pick up the ball and run it in to the end zone. It was exciting and amazing!
With luck, I watched this with a friend on a tiny portable color TV.
I also had a color pic of him in a Packers collectable pictures book. He was one of the few I had and the only one I remember having.
So far this is the only vid I've found of Chet. It's a montage of various pics. If anyone has a link to the touchdown mentioned above, that would be awesome!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaGyLRM85Ck"]YouTube - Czes?aw "Chester" Marcol[/ame]

So who's your fave? :icon_biggrin:

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Maybe they can bring ole Chester back for a try out. You know if Mason keeps struggling.

I guess I'd say Don "Magic" Majkowski. Basically I grew up just hoping GB could just win a game, and Majkowski really got me thinking GB could be a great franchise again back in 89 I think it was. He lead the NFL in passing yards that year.

Love your sig man. LOL Awesome.

tfrentz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie White has got to be my favorite, I loved watching him rush the QB and stop running backs but I have always been a "D" Guy.​

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

dewitt60

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welllllll that's tough. I'm an offensive line guy. Ringo, Kramer and Thurston are at the top but my alltime favorite is Frankie Winters. Best line caller the pack ever had and without a doubt the best holder I'ver ever seen. The man was a surgeon under the shoulder pads grabbing jersey and making it look like guys just fell down. A graduate of Western Illinois University my brothers alma mater and one of Wolf's first aquistions. He made that line.

SCpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie White has got to be my favorite, I loved watching him rush the QB and stop running backs but I have always been a "D" Guy.​

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Respect and RIP... I myself will stay on the D side of the ball and go with Leroy Butler, gotta love the man that started the Lambeau leap!!!!

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
So many great Packers. Really hard to choose....

Ray Nitschke is up there for me too.

SCpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, Its hard to pick ONE but more that kinda stick out for me are Edgar Bennett., Dorsey Levens, Robert Brooks, Gilbert Brown, Sterling Sharpe, the list goes on forever I LOVE EM ALL!!!!

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bart Starr has it all: great player, coach, dedicated Packer guy who will always go to the mat for the organization, founder and supporter of the Rawhide Ranch here in Wisconsin which for 40 years has schooled troubled and disadvantaged young men, and just the nicest most accomodating Packer you'll ever meet. A guy who even if he wasn't a Packer, you'd be happy to have known.

jeg53

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bart Strra, oh I ment Bart Starr. How you answer this probably reflects your age somewhat as there are so many Packer greats, but Bart was and is the man.

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have to go with Paul Coffman. You throw the ball in his direction and he was coming down with it, then running over a couple of guys to make some more yardage! That tough-nosed, never complain, give it all you got attitude is what I really liked in players. Lynn ****ey also, he gave all of us Packer fans hope. We felt we had a chance to score a touchdown every time he threw the ball.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vince Lombardi. (Staff counts too, right?)
I didn't think of that.
Sure. Why not?
And if ya come back here, Slash, care to share more?

(As always, you are a class act, sir. You are of an opposing team, but your not here to talk trash like fans of othes will come on here to do. Appreciated.)

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably my favorite has to be Jerry Kramer. So great for us. Seemed to be like a character when he played for us.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really hard to point one.

Reggie White would be the one I saw. But I guy that I didn't see and admire is Golden Boy Paul Hornung.

Actually, the whole team was loaded with stars AND guys with charisma. Ray Nitschke, Bart Starr, Herb Adderley and Jim Taylor are also favorites of mine.

And from the Holmgren team, Favre was obviously one of my favorites, but he's still not retired. Sterling Sharpe I to this day think could have been the second best Wr of all time, ahead of Rice, and only behind Don Hutson. And LeRoy Butler is amazing.

So you asked one, but I'll give you a list of top 10, in order.

1) Reggie White
2) Paul Hornung
3) Bart Starr
4) Ray Nitschke
5) LeRoy Butler
6) Sterling Sharpe
7) Herb Adderley
8) Jim Taylor
9) Willie Davis
10) Forrest Gregg

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really hard to point one.

Reggie White would be the one I saw. But I guy that I didn't see and admire is Golden Boy Paul Hornung.

Actually, the whole team was loaded with stars AND guys with charisma. Ray Nitschke, Bart Starr, Herb Adderley and Jim Taylor are also favorites of mine.

And from the Holmgren team, Favre was obviously one of my favorites, but he's still not retired. Sterling Sharpe I to this day think could have been the second best Wr of all time, ahead of Rice, and only behind Don Hutson. And LeRoy Butler is amazing.

So you asked one, but I'll give you a list of top 10, in order.

1) Reggie White
2) Paul Hornung
3) Bart Starr
4) Ray Nitschke
5) LeRoy Butler
6) Sterling Sharpe
7) Herb Adderley
8) Jim Taylor
9) Willie Davis
10) Forrest Gregg
Can you imagine?
If the Pack had all their best players from all the years past on a present team, what kind of team that would be?
Wow!

I think it's safe to say that the Pack, through the years, has produced some or most of the best talent ever in the NFL.
I honestly don't know enough about their history to make such a claim, so if anyone else wants to weigh in on this, feel free to do so.
With the most championships in the NFL, and THE first two SB wins, how can you go wrong?

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't think of that.
Sure. Why not?
And if ya come back here, Slash, care to share more?
Thanks for the kind words :)

Not sure what else to say, really. Without Lombardi, there would be no NFL. All of us, no matter what our favorite team, have to give him props for being the man behind all the men behind the teams we cheer.
He was a class act, lived and breathed football until the day he died. A great, great man.

I think it's safe to say that the Pack, through the years, has produced some or most of the best talent ever in the NFL.
I'm sure that any fan of any other team in the league would be at odds with that claim.
I'll just sum up my opinion on the matter with a video I found on YouTube.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYahZ9QvnXQ]YouTube - Steelers Tribute "Director's Cut" Part 2 [WATCH IN HIGH QUALITY!][/ame]

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure what else to say, really. Without Lombardi, there would be no NFL. All of us, no matter what our favorite team, have to give him props for being the man behind all the men behind the teams we cheer.
He was a class act, lived and breathed football until the day he died. A great, great man.
I appreciate your added notes on Lombardi. He's somewhat before my time so I've always been curious about his mystique (s/p) and what makes him so famous and well known than other coaches. Like why is the trophy named after him and not another coach? What did he do that stands out?
Does it have to do with going to and winning the first two SBs?
If anyone wants to help me understand, feel free to add. Or else I'll google to see what I can find.

Can you imagine?
I honestly don't know enough about their history to make such a claim, so if anyone else wants to weigh in on this, feel free to do so.
Even though I am biased with the Pack, (And who isn't with their favorite team. LOL) I did ask for different opinions. So I see that you took me up on my offer by showing us what the Steelers have accomplished.
Well done buddy. It's never a bad thing to be reminded to be humbled.

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forget Favre,
It's never a bad thing to be reminded to be humbled.
Wasn't really my intention, but I do agree. A lot of great players have come from franchises I don't give a squat for (and even some franchises I really, really dislike). Take Emmitt Smith for example. Great RB, great work ethic, and a class act all the way. Played for the Cowboys, and I *HATE* the Cowboys. :biggrin:

I totally understand the bias tho'. For a few fanbases out there (you folks, us, the Raiders) it has more to do with the uniform than the individual. Those guys aren't just football players to us, they're our heroes.

Members online

Latest posts