You tell me...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... you tell me -- was it right?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When i saw the replays, i'd say the refs blew the call. But the ONLY opinion that counted was the refs. They said it was good, and the Packers went on to win the NFL championship.
Guess it shows that the refs were HUMAN even back in the 1960's!

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
The only thing that matters is that the officials thought it was good.

Right on :D

I thought it was right on both accounts: wide right and the right call -- at least as far as the football gods were concerned. 8)

I remember playing a road game where we got jobed twice on FG calls that were good. We strapped down and decided we just need to decisively kick their ***** and take the game out of the officials hands -- which we did. :x

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the angles involved the only way to know for sure is if the camera is right underneath the goalposts, where the ref should be who called it.

If they said it's good, it's good, that's all that matters.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Matte was here in Ishpeming with my good friend Scott Garceau who is the radio voice of the Baltimore Ravens. Matte was a running back for the Colts who was pressed into service as the Colts QB for that game and became to be known as the "wrist band QB" after that.

We had a get together for Scott, who was being inducted into the U.P. Sports Hall of Fame that weekend, at one of our fine supper clubs. I had the pleasure of sitting down with Tom Matte that night and of course we discussed that game, mostly about him playing QB.

We also dicussed the end result of the game with Matte swearing up and down that the FG was missed and I swearing up and down that it was good.
It was alot of fun but I couldn't convince Tom Matte that I was right.

One of the sidelights for me was that I got to wear both Scott's and Tom's Super Bowl rings.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though I was glad the Packers won, I still consider Tom Matte's efforts in that game among the most remarkable things I've seen in a football game.

It would be like Samkon Gado suddenly being asked to be Brett Favre in a championship game and nearly winning it under brutal weather conditions against one of the greatest teams in NFL history.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
With the angles involved the only way to know for sure is if the camera is right underneath the goalposts, where the ref should be who called it.

If they said it's good, it's good, that's all that matters.

Packertraxx....you are exactly right. I used to ref games and it is impossible to miss that call if you are in the right position. You look straight up the pole. If the ball is outside -no good. If the ball is inside- it's good. It is actually the simplest call to make as an official, so I would say they had to get it right.

Unless, of course, there was some palm-greasing going on back in the day!

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only that but the goal posts used to come straight up on the goal line. Recievers used to love that so they could use them to "pick" DB's off in the end zone. There where players that you thought would have killed themselves running into them.

The new long ones looked really wierd st first, now it's the other way around, the old ones look wierd.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts