YAC Prospects

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If YAC is something you're concerned with here is a breakdown:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet another aspect of Christian Watson's game that is pointing towards a high pick come the draft for him...the ONLY knock on him is the school he did his college career at - he has silenced critics in every possible way otherwise.

Also I've mentioned but if you're Gute and Co and you think Amari Rodgers simply isn't going to click at the NFL level - Bo Melton is a swing at the same exact type player IMO.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet another aspect of Christian Watson's game that is pointing towards a high pick come the draft for him...the ONLY knock on him is the school he did his college career at - he has silenced critics in every possible way otherwise.

Also I've mentioned but if you're Gute and Co and you think Amari Rodgers simply isn't going to click at the NFL level - Bo Melton is a swing at the same exact type player IMO.
I would be concerned if he didn’t dominate that level considering his talent. I really don’t think that stat says a ton about him except he’s doing what he should.

I really like Watson, but he has some concerns too. Greg Cosell, who I really respect, said that Watson needs to learn how to catch the ball on more than just deep routes. He holds his hands wrong on breakers. Will be interesting to see how well and quickly he changes that. He’s almost a carbon copy of MVS, but I think he’s more fluid laterally.

Anyways, I saw him play against my school, and he’s just another level above as athlete to the FCS group. He glides on the field. Him with Lance was something special, but he never had to do a lot. Didn’t have a diverse route tree at all.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be concerned if he didn’t dominate that level considering his talent. I really don’t think that stat says a ton about him except he’s doing what he should.

I really like Watson, but he has some concerns too. Greg Cosell, who I really respect, said that Watson needs to learn how to catch the ball on more than just deep routes. He holds his hands wrong on breakers. Will be interesting to see how well and quickly he changes that. He’s almost a carbon copy of MVS, but I think he’s more fluid laterally.

Anyways, I saw him play against my school, and he’s just another level above as athlete to the FCS group. He glides on the field. Him with Lance was something special, but he never had to do a lot. Didn’t have a diverse route tree at all.

I agree with the MVS comp - his measurabels however indicate there is more twitch and foot speed not just in line to work with than MVS had out of college. He's a tough nut to crack, a guy like him is not just being drafted for what he is, but what it seems he is most likely to become - which is a gamble you rarely have to do in the first round....which is why I have always hesitated to take him usually till the second...but he is too good to last till 53 as well...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Danny Gray is really intriguing.

So is Velus Jones, but he’s super old.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Important also to understand that YAC comes in different forms.

A vertical threat who houses deep passes will rack up a lot without necessarily having the skills to shake tackles and gain yards after contact.

Sometimes the offense puts guys in position to pick up easy YAC and sometimes they have to earn it.

Reaction score
I agree with the MVS comp - his measurabels however indicate there is more twitch and foot speed not just in line to work with than MVS had out of college. He's a tough nut to crack, a guy like him is not just being drafted for what he is, but what it seems he is most likely to become - which is a gamble you rarely have to do in the first round....which is why I have always hesitated to take him usually till the second...but he is too good to last till 53 as well...
I think it’s a long wait there between our #28 overall and #53-#59. Especially when you know you need to choose a WR with good potential of some early production.
I could see a slight trade up though, partly because it’s an area that we’ve traded up occasionally (Day 2). Into that top #40-45 range is very doable if the right WR is sliding

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Danny Gray is really intriguing.

So is Velus Jones, but he’s super old.

Danny is a guy I struggle to grade and place a round of target on. Better competition than say Watson, doesn't appear to have the shift to him in routes, but does in YAC situations...which is just odd.

Not to mention this is a guy that had to BATTLE back from academically being ineligible to now just weeks from being on an NFL roster most likely.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Important also to understand that YAC comes in different forms.

A vertical threat who houses deep passes will rack up a lot without necessarily having the skills to shake tackles and gain yards after contact.

Sometimes the offense puts guys in position to pick up easy YAC and sometimes they have to earn it.

Yup, which is where David Bell or Burks separate themselves I think based on they're not just long ball receivers that "pads" the YAC.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it’s a long wait there between our #28 overall and #53-#59. Especially when you know you need to choose a WR with good potential of some early production.
I could see a slight trade up though, partly because it’s an area that we’ve traded up occasionally (Day 2). Into that top #40-45 range is very doable if the right WR is sliding
What about trading back from 28 to lessen the two gaps between 28,53 and 59,92?

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about trading back from 28 to lessen the two gaps between 28,53 and 59,92.

I actually really like the value depending on trading back from one of our two spots adding two top 100 picks in return with one being in the 40s at least.

Reaction score
I actually really like the value depending on trading back from one of our two spots adding two top 100 picks in return with one being in the 40s at least.
What about trading back from 28 to lessen the two gaps between 28,53 and 59,92?
Ted Thompson used that technique for the Kevin King trade back. While Ted obviously missed out on TJ Watt, I think the premise of the move was brilliant. We got all night to think about the first selection in Day 3.

That said, why we picked a guy having both feet operated on is a complete unknown (Biegel).

I’d use that roughly top 100 selection to pair with #53, then choose twice inside the top 35-45 range. That’s a fantastic area for a starter.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For some context/perspective here are last year's top 10 receiving leaders (by yards) and their respective YAC per reception. Obviously "NFL yards" and college yards aren't really the same, but should at least give you an idea of how much distance we're talking.

Deebo Samuel - 10.0
Ja'Marr Chase - 8.0
Cooper Kupp - 5.8
Diontae Johnson - 4.9
Davante Adams - 4.8
Justin Jefferson - 4.5
Mark Andrews - 4.3
Tyreek Hill - 4.0
Tyler Lockett - 3.8
Stefon Diggs - 3.2