WR snaps for HOF game.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Nelson and TyMo on PUP and I would think Cobb not playing. That leaves Adams, Abby, Janis and Davis hashing it out, which i think would be great. Adams still has a lock for a roster spot, I think? But the other 3 are vying for 2 spots. Why can't we just carry 7 receivers? We have space with only 2Qbs and 1FB on roster most likely. Another receiver to watch on Sunday is Geronimo Allison. He stood out the few Illinois games I watched last year. He plays long and made some tough catches in traffic.

D

Deleted member 6794

With Nelson and TyMo on PUP and I would think Cobb not playing. That leaves Adams, Abby, Janis and Davis hashing it out, which i think would be great. Adams still has a lock for a roster spot, I think? But the other 3 are vying for 2 spots. Why can't we just carry 7 receivers? We have space with only 2Qbs and 1FB on roster most likely.

I think there's a oossibility that the Packers keep seven wide receivers on the roster. A lot will depend on the health of the unit and if the coaching staff is fine with keeping one of them as primarily a special teamer.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which WRs does everyone think gets the start vs the Colts Sunday? Perillo will definitely benefit from this preseason game. He should get quality reps to make the battle with Backman interesting.

D

Deleted member 6794

Perillo will definitely benefit from this preseason game. He should get quality reps to make the battle with Backman interesting.

Perillo has been significantly better than Backman during training camp practices so far.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Which WRs does everyone think gets the start vs the Colts Sunday?
Barring injuries I'd guess Adams and Cobb (if he plays) get the start at WR with RR at TE. Expect Abby to be #3 WR and Perillo as #2 TE. I'd be very surprised to see AR go a series if at all. If the starting 5 OL were available maybe but he won't be risked behind a patchwork line. I'd like to see Hundley if he's healthy otherwise the Packers offense is going to sputter quite a bit with two rookie QB's calling the shots. Maybe none of the starting skill players play at all. No Cobb, Lacy, Starks, Air-rodg, Peppers, CM3, Shields. Plus the guys on PUP list at the start of this past week are most likely a no-go.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd be very surprised to see AR go a series if at all. If the starting 5 OL were available maybe but he won't be risked behind a patchwork line. I'd like to see Hundley if he's healthy otherwise the Packers offense is going to sputter quite a bit with two rookie QB's calling the shots. Maybe none of the starting skill players play at all. No Cobb, Lacy, Starks, Air-rodg, Peppers, CM3, Shields. Plus the guys on PUP list at the start of this past week are most likely a no-go.

I don't expect Rodgers to play in the game as well but not because of injuries on the offensive line. While Lang probably will be held out as well the only starter currently not practicing is Linsley with Tretter being able to adequately replace him.

Unfortunately Hundley wasn't able to participate in yesterday's practice either. Lacy was added to the injury report with an ankle injury.

I don't expect any starters to play a whole lot on Sunday. All players currently still on the PUP list are for sure no-gos.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sucks if Hundley cant play Sunday. Was looking forward to see how he plays. Marquise Williams qb from North Carolina will be fun to watch also. I watched 3 or 4 games last year where he showed some good and some bad. He really liked throwing to Quinshad Davis,UDFA Wr on the lions roster. Davis is 6-4 225 receiver but Williams still consistently overthrew him. He has a rocket arm and decent wheels. He really needs to work on accuracy and footwork. I think he would make a nice practice squad QB.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sucks if Hundley cant play Sunday. Was looking forward to see how he plays. Marquise Williams qb from North Carolina will be fun to watch also. I watched 3 or 4 games last year where he showed some good and some bad. He really liked throwing to Quinshad Davis,UDFA Wr on the lions roster. Davis is 6-4 225 receiver but Williams still consistently overthrew him. He has a rocket arm and decent wheels. He really needs to work on accuracy and footwork. I think he would make a nice practice squad QB.

I'm actually more intrigued by Joe Callahan who played for a Division III school at Wesley College, throwing for more than 5,000 yards and 55 TDs last season. If Hundley can't play on Sunday both of them will get a ton of playing time.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm actually more intrigued by Joe Callahan who played for a Division III school at Wesley College, throwing for more than 5,000 yards and 55 TDs last season. If Hundley can't play on Sunday both of them will get a ton of playing time.
One would suspect the speed of the game won't be quite as much a problem for a guy from North Carolina than a guy from DIV III, even if they were a DIV III playoff quarterfinalist.

Williams ran for nearly 1,000 yds. as a senior; he ran 4.8 to Callahan's 5.0. When things get confusing, confused or just messed up, something to be expected with rookies in the first preseason game, he's got the better odds in Plan B to keep a drive alive.

If these guys can keep the picks to a minimum, that would be plus.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Williams is more dangerous. Much like HardRightEdge said he can beat you with his feet. Now I have no clue about Joe Callahan because Ive never seen him play. But Marquise Williams I did watch. And while he has a long way to go to be a nfl pocket passer. Im still intrigued to see him play Sunday. Especially vs Colts Starters. No doubt INTs are a guarantee. Im just waiting to see the positives from him. In 2013he looked real good. But he had Eric Ebron and Quinshad Davis. Both are huge tatgets now both playing for the Detroit Lions.

H

HardRightEdge

Well, here's one compare and contrast:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Both these guys need work on their throwing mechanics. Callahan has something of a baseball windup on his deep throws. Williams throwing motion looks good with nice touch on short throws, but when he puts mustard on the ball he goes more sidearm. Both need polish in their footwork. It doesn't look like either of these guys took snaps under center, so drop footwork in particular may be a start-from-scratch project.

As for speed of the game, about a minute into the Callahan tape you'll see him running down a linebacker type who looks like he couldn't break 6.0 with the wind. That's DIV III. Level of competition cannot be underestimated when looking at college stats.

Preseason Week 1 of 5? I hope nobody gets hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, here's one compare and contrast:

Both these guys need work on their throwing mechanics. Callahan has something of a baseball windup on his deep throws. Williams throwing motion looks good with nice touch on short throws, but when he puts mustard on the ball he goes more sidearm. Both need polish in their footwork. It doesn't look like either of these guys took snaps under center, so drop footwork in particular may be a start-from-scratch project.

As for speed of the game, about a minute into the Callahan tape you'll see him running down a linebacker type who looks like he couldn't break 6.0 with the wind. That's DIV III. Level of competition cannot be underestimated when looking at college stats.

I hope the same. It will be intersting to watch our 2-3 stringers go a few series with the Colts Starters.

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware of the fact that both Callahan and Williams aren't even close to being ready to perform on an average level against an NFL defense. Out of the two I'm more interested in what Callahan has to offer.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware of the fact that both Callahan and Williams aren't even close to being ready to perform on an average level against an NFL defense. Out of the two I'm more interested in what Callahan has to offer.
We will see 2mrw. Have any prediction as to who gets the start 2mrw?

H

HardRightEdge

Wow just read the packers are giving a tryout to Kellen Winslow II. Not really sure about this one.
I see where this is being widely reported, with KWII tweeting thanks to the Packers for the opportunity. So, it appears to be something that is actually happening.

This is interesting, though again not necessarily pretty, as it may reflect on Cook's status, with the emphasis on "may".