WR position

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO where things stand today looks much better than where we were a year ago.
Colledge is a much higher pick that fits in the system well. Whit was a low pick that showed more from a group of mediocre players. There is a difference there.

Colledge should provide better quality play than we got from Whit.

Coston is a player that needed time but has all the tools and the system works in his favor as well. I think many here will ultimately be pleased with how well he does.

Obviously a year under their belts will be invaluable but if they do no more than hold their own this year, which I see them doing, we will be fine. They will have growing pains and make mistakes but I see the guard play being much better than a year ago because both of these guys are in a system that utilizes their strengths.

OP
OP
C

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:) Basically what I was trying to get across in my initial post in conjunction with a much deeper WR pool from which to pick talent. I'm guessing that some of these guys will be either on the Packer practice squad or on someone elses team. Whether any of then become pro-bowlers is a far reach but, think they will perform very well and one or two may be trade bait down the road. Therefor I have a more positive outlook this year then last.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Yeah, lol...... Whatever you want to believe

The fact is there are reports both good and bad on this guy. It just depends where you get them from.

To put it in simple terms. The guy is an exceptional pass blocker and a below average run blocker. That's what every report says.

As for size... In a power blocking scheme (like we had last year) he'd struggle and be a bad pick but we play a zone scheme which makes smaller lineman a better fit for us.

Teams who ran the zone scheme had this guy ahead of Winston Justice, Marcus McNeil, and other big lineman like Jean-Giles, and Deuce Lutui.

We run a zone scheme. D'Brick was likely are #1. Nick Mangold probably #2. Davin Joseph #3 and Colledge probably #4 rated lineman. You don't draft personnel that isn't a fit. I saw a lot of posts with Jean Giles and Lutui being mention. Both are over 330 and not quick enough for guard in the zone scheme.

Will Daryn struggle. Yes but no more or less than Whittaker did a year ago. I'm expecting more out of him than Whittaker. I expect him to struggle early on and get better as the year goes on.

The Draft is to build for the future which the Packers are doing. They're a 6 or 7 win team with or without Colledge in my opinion. I think this team is rebuilding. The make or break pick on our roster is Aaron Rodgers. Colledge in my opinion can develop in to your ideal zone guard.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
pyledriver80 said:
Yeah, lol...... Whatever you want to believe

The fact is there are reports both good and bad on this guy. It just depends where you get them from.

To put it in simple terms. The guy is an exceptional pass blocker and a below average run blocker. That's what every report says.

As for size... In a power blocking scheme (like we had last year) he'd struggle and be a bad pick but we play a zone scheme which makes smaller lineman a better fit for us.

Teams who ran the zone scheme had this guy ahead of Winston Justice, Marcus McNeil, and other big lineman like Jean-Giles, and Deuce Lutui.

We run a zone scheme. D'Brick was likely are #1. Nick Mangold probably #2. Davin Joseph #3 and Colledge probably #4 rated lineman. You don't draft personnel that isn't a fit. I saw a lot of posts with Jean Giles and Lutui being mention. Both are over 330 and not quick enough for guard in the zone scheme.

Will Daryn struggle. Yes but no more or less than Whittaker did a year ago. I'm expecting more out of him than Whittaker. I expect him to struggle early on and get better as the year goes on.

The Draft is to build for the future which the Packers are doing. They're a 6 or 7 win team with or without Colledge in my opinion. I think this team is rebuilding. The make or break pick on our roster is Aaron Rodgers. Colledge in my opinion can develop in to your ideal zone guard.
Nice post Porky.

Pyle, you make great points, but if not College, you feel Moll may be a better fit! My question then is, who would you have drafted in round 2 instead of College?

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of hard to judge this OL w/o any true competition across from them. Keep in mind Pickett isn't rushing them and/or Grady. Most of the teams we faced last year held off Cole,KGB,Jenkins etc... We need our starting line up with our new big boy DT to truly test this OL and zone blocking, then we will see how these guys are panning out. We also need to sign some veteran guards or we will be in trouble this year.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
Kind of hard to judge this OL w/o any true competition across from them. Keep in mind Pickett isn't rushing them and/or Grady. Most of the teams we faced last year held off Cole,KGB,Jenkins etc... We need our starting line up with our new big boy DT to truly test this OL and zone blocking, then we will see how these guys are panning out. We also need to sign some veteran guards or we will be in trouble this year.

Good post! I am not anti-Colledge but this year will be a complete disaster up front if he gets blown up time after time. I coach football and I understand how great a zone blocking scheme can be if ran correctly BUT I also understand how much of a TRAIN WRECK it will be if not. Colledge will be put on his *** if he does not use correct technique. When he gets put on his *** guess what happens.................SMMMMMAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSHHHHHH! for a 1-2 Yard loss.

Porky, I understand the system they are running but being athletic and quick is only 1 step of a 2 step process. Once they get there they must properly block. If not its twice as bad as getting blown up in assignment blocking scheme because the LB's are getting free pops on your RB.

I didn't say Moll was the answer but technique wise I think he better fits the system in his first year than Colledge. He may get a shot if Colledge can't cut it.

To answer your question Dakota regarding the draft, I would have passed on Coledge in the 2nd and picked up maybe another WR or CB. Then later on I would have grabbed Kevin Boothe from Cornell like Denver did. Denver knows how to run the scheme and grabbed the guy GB should have.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
calicheesehead said:

Good post! I am not anti-Colledge but this year will be a complete disaster up front if he gets blown up time after time.

I agree(how could I not?). But from everything I've read, he's pretty solid at what he's doing.

Yes, he hasn't done it with pads yet vs. starting Dts yet....but...we'll examine that when we get there...

All we can do is judge by whats happened so far... and so far, so good.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, what do I know......When everyone else was talking how Colledge was going to be SO GREAT, I was the ONLY, and I mean ONLY one, that predicted Moll was the best fit.

Read it and weep........and then start the excuses.

Just one of many "I told you so's" coming in the near future.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta give props!

I do remember saying early on that I thought Spitz was a better pick than Colledge, but I can't say I was the only one.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The unfortunate situation with T-Murph was a set back . He was really progressing well and Favre was gaining confidence in him when he went down.
Our WR position would be looking better with him in the picture. It's a set back when a second rounder goes down that looked to be worth the pick.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you dont have to give him props at all....

if you say enough blatantly retarded statements, one of them is bound to come true. its science.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
yeah our WR's aren't a position of strength i see Driver as a solid #1 and Boerichter, Fergy, Garnder, and Jennings as solid to good #3's or #4's.

Boerichter's gonna be cut!

Fergie will be #2, and jennings will be #3

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

if you say enough blatantly retarded statements, one of them is bound to come true. its science.

Hmmm.....Just go back and look through this thread. Alot of people were bashing me for being the ONLY one who thought Moll was our best option at guard. Keep in mind this is from like Early June before anyone training camp even started. Don't worry Packnic, there are plenty more coming soon.

The point is it SEEMED ludacris to some of you at the time, just like TT stinking up the joint does. Just goes to show that i'm not trying to disagree just to disagree, but that I may actually have some logic behind things.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Packnic said:

Hmmm.....Just go back and look through this thread. Alot of people were bashing me for being the ONLY one who thought Moll was our best option at guard. Keep in mind this is from like Early June before anyone training camp even started. Don't worry Packnic, there are plenty more coming soon.

The point is it SEEMED ludacris to some of you at the time, just like TT stinking up the joint does. Just goes to show that i'm not trying to disagree just to disagree, but that I may actually have some logic behind things.
I didn't think it was ludicrous, in fact I even invited more discussion about it. You don't need to toot your own horn in here Pyle, we know you are a knowledgable football fan.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
pyledriver80 said:
Packnic said:

I didn't think it was ludicrous, in fact I even invited more discussion about it. You don't need to toot your own horn in here Pyle, we know you are a knowledgable football fan.

ehh :shrug:

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
DakotaT said:
pyledriver80 said:
Packnic said:

ehh shrug
I forgot the last sentence: No matter how screwed up your perceptions of TT and Sherman are.

Is that better Pacnic?

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dam this is stupid. every discussion ends up breaking down into pyle telling us how dumb we are, how smart he is, and 1 or 2 others kissing his ***. Pyle, honestly, that was a good call. Kudos. Now thats over, can anyone tell me about Blackmon, cause i'm too lazy to look it up myself.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blackmon is great because TT drafted him. He hasn't done anything but he has loads of potential, talent and can leap buildings in a single bound, but he can't get on the field

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Blackmon is great because TT drafted him. He hasn't done anything but he has loads of potential, talent and can leap buildings in a single bound, but he can't get on the field
thank you for that garbage post. anything useful? anyone?

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
dam this is stupid. every discussion ends up breaking down into pyle telling us how dumb we are, how smart he is, and 1 or 2 others kissing his ***. Pyle, honestly, that was a good call. Kudos. Now thats over, can anyone tell me about Blackmon, cause i'm too lazy to look it up myself.

Gee..How very Tromadz like that post is--just the right snotty tone, and it tries to alienate the poster and those that agree with him because they have a different opinion than he does. And it has lot of words but doesn't say much either because it is really just meant to be a personal attack.

You sure you two aren't related?

Cousins marry or something?

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
pack_in_black said:

Gee..How very Tromadz like that post is. Lot of words but doesn't say anything.

You sure you two aren't related?

Cousins marry or something?
now, now, Tom, did you read the whole post or do you ype before you think? So quick to insult, but slow to comprehend what you've read. Kinda like a playground bully, but old. If you had any R/C skills, you would see that I was asking about WILL BLACKMON. Got an answer, so thanks everyone.