WR Jordy Nelson from Scouts.inc

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you guys think of having him gain about 15 pounds, then having him play an athletic TE? Just and idea to ponder.

Considering our history of drafting players and having them playing other positions than what we drafted them for, don't be surprised if it happens.

I had a strong feeling in '07 that we'd grab Keyshawn Johnson for a one-year contract and have him play our short yardage WR, almost a TE. Didn't happen, but that doesn't mean this won't.

I'm sure we'll send him one some Donald Lee routes and the two of them can wreck havoc on opposing Safeties.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BryanAschenbrenner said:
What do you guys think of having him gain about 15 pounds, then having him play an athletic TE? Just and idea to ponder.

Considering our history of drafting players and having them playing other positions than what we drafted them for, don't be surprised if it happens.

This sounds to me like the classic example of using a race horse as a plow horse. I can't help but wonder if people think Nelson is TE material rather than WR just because he's white. What little I've seen of him on film leads me to believe that he is a very fast, shifty WR who runs good routes, in which case it would be a waste to put him at TE. Thompson drafted a TE anyway. Nelson will be much more valuable to the Packers as a #4 WR than as a #3 TE, or even a #2 TE.

Also, in recent years the Packers have converted two WR's to TE's--Tyrone Davis and David Martin. Surprise surprise, when they bulked up they lost their speed and basically became ordinary TE's: decent blockers but not much of a threat as pass catchers.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
This sounds to me like the classic example of using a race horse as a plow horse. I can't help but wonder if people think Nelson is TE material rather than WR just because he's white. What little I've seen of him on film leads me to believe that he is a very fast, shifty WR who runs good routes, in which case it would be a waste to put him at TE. Thompson drafted a TE anyway. Nelson will be much more valuable to the Packers as a #4 WR than as a #3 TE, or even a #2 TE.

Also, in recent years the Packers have converted two WR's to TE's--Tyrone Davis and David Martin. Surprise surprise, when they bulked up they lost their speed and basically became ordinary TE's: decent blockers but not much of a threat as pass catchers.

I completely forgot he was white, so that never crossed my mind.

But yeah, if he's fast and loses speed, then forget it. You don't take away someone's strong point.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bloody hell, would you make Wes Welker a TE???

Dont think so!

I don't get the comparison. Nelson is 6'3" and weighs 217 pounds. Welker is 5'9" and weighs 185.

Oh yeah, they're both white. Perhaps we could think of some other white receivers to compare Nelson to. Steve Largent? Fred Belitnikoff? Ricky Proehl? Bill Schroeder?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Dont think so!

I don't get the comparison. Nelson is 6'3" and weighs 217 pounds. Welker is 5'9" and weighs 185.

Oh yeah, they're both white. Perhaps we could think of some other white receivers to compare Nelson to. Steve Largent? Fred Belitnikoff? Ricky Proehl? Bill Schroeder?
I don't think race plays into it. Just past history of the majority of white guys not being as good at WR as black guys. Why is it that way? I have NO idea. It is what it is. But watching film of this kid, he is FAST! I don't want him to bulk up and change positions.
Why take the chance of ruining the guy's known talents, by making him change?
JMO

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can never have enough good receivers. In all the years as a Packer fan I cannot remember ONE team that had SO many receivers we had to let some go.
I have said before that if DD or Jennings were to go down then all of a sudden having an extra good WR looks like a great move. It's only going to be crowded prior to guys getting nicked and banged up.

Just three years ago we got put in situation where our #3 was playing #1 and the #2's and 3's had never caught an NFL pass.

I'll take a good extra WR any day. I don't care if he's pink.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Come on Warhawk.. you don't long for the days of Taco Wallace. :lol:

I think it may give us options as well come cutdowns to trade a player for a position of need.. IE give up a Martin in place of a late pick for a player such as Grant..

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Dont think so!

i wasnt compared the two players, i was merely stating that taking a player will a specific skillset suited for a position and trying to make him change to another position just isnt too clever. Square pegs and round holes and all that.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Tiger said:

Dont think so!

i wasnt compared the two players, i was merely stating that taking a player will a specific skillset suited for a position and trying to make him change to another position just isnt too clever. Square pegs and round holes and all that.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. And I want to clarify that I'm not accusing anyone of racism. I just think that sometimes people judge players by superficial qualities, which is not helpful.

In terms of measurables and skillset, I think Nelson has more in common with Javon Walker than any other Packer WR in recent years. But more importantly, if he's good we won't need to compare him to anyone.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bump.

I like how Scouts said that it wouldn't surprise anyone if he played 10 seasons in the NFL as a #2 or #3 WR.

Is that what we were looking for? I might imagine so.

Consider the following - Jennings replaced J Walker. Jones is eventually going to replace Driver. We need a good #3. Martin I doubt will be more than a #4 (but he's a good #4).

Just a thought, but I imagine it has some validity to it.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bump.

I like how Scouts said that it wouldn't surprise anyone if he played 10 seasons in the NFL as a #2 or #3 WR.

Is that what we were looking for? I might imagine so.

Consider the following - Jennings replaced J Walker. Jones is eventually going to replace Driver. We need a good #3. Martin I doubt will be more than a #4 (but he's a good #4).

Just a thought, but I imagine it has some validity to it.

I think Martin is a free agent next year anyways. I don't know for sure though.

I think that's exactly what the Packers are looking for. Jennings is going to be the #1 guy in the future and Jones as well.

You also have to factor in that the Packers could lose James Jones to free agency one year. If Donald Driver is still around and still productive, Jones may want to go elsewhere. Now they have someone to fall back on as their future #2 WR.

It seems like TT drafts for the future with that first pick. Aaron Rodgers was an obvious one and Justin Harrell was an eventual replacement for Corey Williams. Jordy Nelson might be the eventual #2 or #3 like you said.

A.J. Hawk doesn't count. I mean 5th overall pick better have an impact right away.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this racism is killing me inside.
I don't think theres any racism.
To be honest, i was shocked when i saw that Nelson was white. Not because i'm a racist, but because, how many white WR's have we had on the Packers in the last 20 years?
I can think of a few.........Bill Schroeder, Don Beebe. And they were ok, but not great. So i automatically assumed Nelson wasn't white. I don't CARE what color he or any Packer is, as long as they are great players and great people.
When you think of great WR's, or RB's, the black to white super stars is unreal.
Why is it that way? I have no clue..........but it is what it is. It doesn't mean your a racist to bring up the facts.
I LOVE the Packers. White, black, brown, yellow, i don't care what color their skin is!

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still bummed we didn't get Ngata or Ikaika to add some of that native spirit.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
this racism is killing me inside.
I don't think theres any racism.
To be honest, i was shocked when i saw that Nelson was white. Not because i'm a racist, but because, how many white WR's have we had on the Packers in the last 20 years?
I can think of a few.........Bill Schroeder, Don Beebe. And they were ok, but not great. So i automatically assumed Nelson wasn't white. I don't CARE what color he or any Packer is, as long as they are great players and great people.
When you think of great WR's, or RB's, the black to white super stars is unreal.
Why is it that way? I have no clue..........but it is what it is. It doesn't mean your a racist to bring up the facts.
I LOVE the Packers. White, black, brown, yellow, i don't care what color their skin is!

Well, if a player had leprosy, I wouldn't want him.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Martin is a free agent next year anyways. I don't know for sure though.

I think that's exactly what the Packers are looking for. Jennings is going to be the #1 guy in the future and Jones as well.

You also have to factor in that the Packers could lose James Jones to free agency one year. If Donald Driver is still around and still productive, Jones may want to go elsewhere. Now they have someone to fall back on as their future #2 WR.

It seems like TT drafts for the future with that first pick. Aaron Rodgers was an obvious one and Justin Harrell was an eventual replacement for Corey Williams. Jordy Nelson might be the eventual #2 or #3 like you said.

A.J. Hawk doesn't count. I mean 5th overall pick better have an impact right away.

I don't see Martin in a Packer uniform in '10. I also think Driver would want to retire as a Packer, but I don't see him playing more than 3 years after '08. Jones will be signed to a long-term contract by then.

I doubt TT would want to lose Jones. He's going to be good.

Note that these are all predictions.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Dont think so!

Tom Waddle

Members online

Latest posts