WR Jordy Nelson from Scouts.inc

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grade: 86 (2nd round)

Strengths: Is a big, strong receiver. Big target with extremely reliable hands. Consistently catches the ball thrown over his head, can pluck on the run effortlessly and does a great job of securing the ball in traffic. Not afraid to go over the middle. He has functional speed for his size. Most impressive is his ability to get in and out of breaks so quickly, especially for a bigger receiver. Displayed much better initial quickness and burst as a senior than he had in previous seasons. He runs crisp routes. Converted high school quarterback, shows a great feel for running routes, finding soft spots in zone and coming back to his quarterbacks when initial play has broken down. Very tough, competitive runner after the catch. Also shows excellent vision to navigate through traffic  both after the catch and in the return game. Will lower his shoulder and drag smaller DB's for extra few yards at the end of the play. Continues to improve with experience. High character player and hard worker.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal top-end speed. Is not going to consistently get over the top of man-coverage as a vertical route runner. Runs hard and shows good vision but not overly elusive and doesn't display the second-gear necessary to run away from NFL defenders. Needs to improve technique and overall consistency as a blocker.

Overall: Nelson redshirted in 2003 and didn't see any action as a defensive back in 2004. He moved to wide receiver in 2005, appearing in 24 games (20 starts) over his sophomore and junior seasons (2005-'06). He had 84 receptions for 1,216 yards (14.5 average) and nine touchdowns during that span. Nelson was slowed by a knee injury in '06 but wouldn't sit out any games. Nelson was sensational as a senior, delivering 10.2 receptions for 133.4 receiving yards per game (both second in the nation) and 155.3 all-purpose yards per game (20th). His 2007 totals: 122 catches for 1,606 yards and 11 touchdowns; five punt returns for 264 yards (52.8 average) and two scores; and two passing TDs (on four attempts) for 45 yards. Nelson capped off a ridiculously productive senior season with a strong showing at the Senior Bowl. While he lacks elite speed and athleticism, Nelson is quicker than people seem to think and he simply knows how to separate and make plays. He will likely slip to the third round of the upcoming draft but it wouldn't shock us if Nelson spends 10-plus productive seasons in the NFL as a possession No. 2 or No. 3 receiver.

Reaction score
Seems like a great fit for our scheme, has ability to get Yards After Catch, great vision, hard worker, and seems to be faster than his 40 time would indicate.

Surprise pick no doubt, but one that makes some sense considering that Driver is getting up there in age, and both k-Rob and Ruvell are entering the final year of their contract.

If Nelson can develop, we have a very dangerous trio of WRs in Jennings/Jones/Nelson.

Nelson should also come in and contribute on ST right away, whether as a KR/PR or coverage man.

starpass

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Living in KC...I have watched Jordy Nelson for 3 years...he burned Taliqub from Kansas...his combine blew people away...I listened to the interview...he ran a sub 4.5 in one test...he caught everything that they threw at him...Good Kid...a walk on...at K-STATE...he played against Top talent...Auburn...Oklahoma...his team beat...TEXAS twice in the past two years...Texas was rated a top 5 team both years...this kid...is a diamond in the rough...Mel Kiper likes him too. He is a big receiver...something we need...Bret...will want to come out of retirement for this kid...well...maybe not...but...TT for President!!!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Sounds okay, but like Harrell, it will be hard to get excited about this pick. Ted sure is stockpiling WR's. That makes 3 second rounders in three years, doesn't it? Plus Koren Robinson and we've still got Donald Driver.

Looks like Ruvell will be the odd man out.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Living in KC...I have watched Jordy Nelson for 3 years...he burned Taliqub from Kansas...his combine blew people away...I listened to the interview...he ran a sub 4.5 in one test...he caught everything that they threw at him...Good Kid...a walk on...at K-STATE...he played against Top talent...Auburn...Oklahoma...his team beat...TEXAS twice in the past two years...Texas was rated a top 5 team both years...this kid...is a diamond in the rough...Mel Kiper likes him too. He is a big receiver...something we need...Bret...will want to come out of retirement for this kid...well...maybe not...but...TT for President!!!

A surprize pick but, I like it. I caught some film on him and he looks great. Saw him burn Aqib Talib...

Reaction score
Greg C. said:
That makes 3 second rounders in three years, doesn't it?

Not quite, Jennings was a second rounder, but Jones was a 3rd rounder.

However, the Packers have chosen a WR on day one 3 years in a row, which is surprising.

Greg C. said:
Looks like Ruvell will be the odd man out.

Perhaps not immediately, but maybe in the long run.

Ruvell and K-Rob are both entering the final year of their deals, and Ruvell is a bargain having signed his RFA tender.

The Pack could keep 6 WRs this year (Driver, Jennings, Jones, K-Rob, Martin, Nelson) and end up letting Ruvell leave at the end of the year, and resigning K-Rob to another cap-friendly deal.

starpass

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy Nelson...122 CATCHES was the 2nd highest total last year for a division one receiver...he is a good third down option...as well...could be a sleeper pick...lets give TT some credit...his drafts have been in the top 5 over the top 5 years according to McShay...

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, given the ST uses of K-Rob and Nelson, not to mention Martin on coverage, GB could easily keep 6 WRs on their roster.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a lot of youtube videos about him. I love this kid. He used to be a QB in HS and threw multiple TDs in college. He's a down to earth farmboy, hes big,etc.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
With this pick, I with say it again.. I have a feeling we will be dealing one of our wides.. guess Krob to Raiders for a CB.. or something to that nature.. or Martin someplace.. Both have one year deals, however Martin will be a restricted..

Like the player.. interesting we passed on a CB... Patrick Lee maybe?

starpass

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy's Steak house next to Bretts...not yet anyway...hey this kid ran 2 punts back for TD's last year...he threw two TDs...He had 20 Tds in the last two years...he was 2nd in yards last year 1660 and 2nd in catches at 122...He had alot of team drool after the combine in which he caught everything they threw at him...he had good times at the combine...4.49.
He is a tall receiver yet deceptively fast...But...his hallmark is his HANDS...the dude does not drop the ball...I have watched him at K-State for the past few years...he beat good talent...Talib...he beat Texas twice.
He played in the spead offense at K-State...he will fit in the packers scheme nicely and the city of Green Bay will not be embarassed by this kid...he is an all american...an all american kid...chevrolet and apple pie---I am happy with this pick.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky's Draft Optons

He was on my radar. I had him as a 2nd round pick to Buffalo and I said that if the Packers take a receiver this would be on of their options.

Now I didn't think it'd be this high though. I thought maybe Nelson would slip under the radar and fall but I say all the power to the Packers on this one. They obviously felt he wouldn't fall. I like Nelson's ability on special teams and I think the Packers can do multiple things with him on the offensive side of the ball.

Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State - He's a Ted Thompson type of football player. Doesn't have great timed speed but has good size and catches the ball real well. Won't ever be a true #1 receiver but he'll contribute to teams as a potential starter or #3 guy. I think he's a 2nd rounder but a lot of people think he could drop to round 3 or 4 and that's where the Pack might look at another receiver.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson sounds like a solid possession receiver and a good pick for GB. I just wonder why he was their 1st 2nd round pick. I realize they will need another WR in the future. I just figured they would go for someone in the 5-7 round and then pickup someone next year. Wouldn't mind it if they traded one of their current WR for a 4th round pick next year.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps GB will go with only 2 QB and use Nelson as their emergency QB. :p

PackerGeek

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With his size, and from what I read he does a very good job of catching balls thrown over his head, he could be a great Red zone weapon. run him acoss the back of the end zone and throw it up where no one else can get it but him.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does this mean K-Rob's time in GB is over?
I kind of sensed it was when Favre retired, even before this pick.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see that happening, Zombieslayer. I thought it was going to happen today, actually. Maybe it will happen tonight. Maybe it is happening right now. He's great, but I can see some team like the Dolphins trying to deal for him.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see the need to go WR with the 1st pick but I watched his videos. This kid may become my favorite player before he is done. I kept thinking about Paul Coffman when I realized that he too can from K State.
I liked the video where he was surrounded by 6 defenders amd at least 4 of them were in on the tackle.

Members online

Latest posts