Would you still go to a game?

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it was just me, yes....but then convincing the missus to spend the holiday watching football...now, that I'm not looking forward to. :eek:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the "negativity" is overrated. Posters ***** all the time. Even if we had a 0-16 season, I'm sure most will be there next season.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I'm driving up from Alabama this weekend for the Texans game. Life long packers fan and this is a bucket list item. Just seeing the history and stadium will be awesome. Any suggestions on where to go and what to do would be helpful. Will have Friday and Saturday to kick around. Thanks in advance!

Now that is something completely different. If I had never been to Lambeau I'd jump at any chance I got. I don't think they are calling for super cold though a lot of you delicate southerners think anything below 65 is arctic :D

Others can give you better advice on what to do in GB but the only thing I'll say is give yourself plenty of time on Sunday morning to wander around outside the stadium if possible. Even if you are not a drinker the tailgating is an integral part of the experience.

Hopefully the Pack can make your drive home a little easier to handle with a victory but even if the game doesn't turn out as we hope it will I'm hoping your experience will be one that you will always remember, for a good reason of course.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So much negativity. The word fan is loosely used around here. Are we only fans when they win? Do we only support our kids if they win that soccer game? I understand that some people aren't really that big of football fans, and only a fan of the team. However, I would assume that those folks don't usually participate in forums if they are casual fans.

Lambeau is an amazing place to watch football. Two of my favorite games to watch at Lambeau were losses: the 2007 championship loss to NY and a loss to Seattle during the Ray Rhodes era. Both were fun for their own reasons, but it is just fun to be at Lambeau and to watch football. It was hard to go to games in the 80s but still a treat.

I've supported a terrible Minnesota Gopher football team for years as a season ticket holder despite watching them lose consistently. I've also made the trek to Camp Randall almost every year to see them lose. I also used to have season tickets to the Vikings back when they were terrible. I don't think that this makes me anything special. It just means that I enjoy watching football games, and it doesn't alter my experience so dramatically if my team wins or loses.

Lambeau is an amazing place to watch a game. So is my living room (well, my sister's living room actually) and its a lot warmer, a lot cheaper and a lot less hectic. Most of the "negativity" seems to be geared towards those and similar issues more so than the record and the team's performance.

As far as my kids soccer games go, when my kid plays for the Packers, or the Browns or the Bears or maybe even the vikings I will be at every single game possible without batting an eye. Until that happens, like Half Empty says, these guys don't know me from Adam and only deserve the support I choose to give them.

As far as your definition of "fan" apparently it is quite a bit different than mine

Wow, I am not even sure what else to say to this thread. Threads like these are disappointing. There is a name they give to those fans who are only fans when their team is winning. My guess is OP, you were not a pre-Favre Packer fan, either by age or choice. A subpar season (which could be 8-8 or better), oh the problems of a Favre/Rodgers era Packer fan.

Most of the posters saying the wouldn't go focused on issues other than the team's performance.

There's absolutely no doubt I would attend a game at Lambeau this season. It's possible the Packers don't want to see me there though as the team is 0-4 (0-3 at home) with me in the stands.

Well then for Pete's sake, and every one else's STAY HOME. I'm just glad its not my fault.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easy answer for me, "Yes!". Easy answer for a friend of mine, "No". I just bought 2 tickets to the Seahawks game from a friend who is a season ticket holder and has fallen into the "mehh, got better ways to spend a Sunday". I will be taking my aging Father, who despite being a diehard Packer fan, has not been to Lambeau in over 50 years. Sadly, due to failing health, this will probably be his last trip there. Sure I want to see the Packers beat the Seahawks, but for me and my father, it will be a lifetime memory that we wouldn't get sitting at home.

I may be finding myself in a similar situation with my father sooner than I would care to admit. He is not a football fan so a trip to Lambeau wouldn't mean much to him but I hope I can find an opportunity to have an experience like you are getting to share with your father. Win or lose this will be a great game for you I am sure.

Reaction score
If your not a season ticket holder and someone offered you tickets to Lambeau this year and even though you had to pay for them, would you still go?

I feel most comfortable watching from home.
So even in a good year, I wouldn't go.
That would still involve a flight, hotel room and rental car at the minimum so it would be a harder decision for me. Last time I went AR broke his collarbone in the first quarter so it couldn't be a worse experience than that, so I probably still would

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can agree with much of what you said. However:
The fact that I and the others are here, bemoaning the current situation confirms that we are, indeed, Packer fans. I *****ed for 2 1/2 decades after SBII, but I never turned to the Steelers, Cowboys, 49ers, or Patriots as my team.
I think you misunderstood the context of my post. People were saying that they wouldn't go to games because the team isn't winning. I merely stated that I don't think that's a good example of being a fan - only supporting them when they win. If you think that I accosted yours or anyone's right to complain on this site, then you are mistaken.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One last post, then I figure we'd just be nitpicking in order to be right. The context that I thought I saw was the old "you're not a fan if you complain" position.
So much negativity. The word fan is loosely used around here. Are we only fans when they win?

It may well be that you feel people need to attend the games in order to support the team. I don't agree, but if that's your position, then I can't argue with it. I do, however, think one can be a fan at home, without throwing a lot of Joe Sixpack cash at a bunch of multimillionaires.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, but this thread was started with an honest question about whether we would pay to go to a game, regardless of the Packers record. However, by Post #4 and beyond it turned into a bunch of statements that the people wouldn't waste their money because the likelihood of losing was too great. I was reacting to that subsequent negativity.

I don't feel that people need to attend games in order to support the team. However, I do personally look poorly at someone that will only go to games if the chance of winning is high. That's a fan of winning, not of the team. People can do what they want with their money, but just like we can criticize the team I have the right to criticize a fellow fan as long as it's respectful.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well then for Pete's sake, and every one else's STAY HOME. I'm just glad its not my fault.

You will be glad to hear that I live several thousand miles away from Lambeau. On the other side that hasn't stopped me from coming to Green Bay in the past. ;)

Last time I went AR broke his collarbone in the first quarter so it couldn't be a worse experience than that, so I probably still would

That was the first game I attended at Lambeau.

They better hang garlic from all the portals leading into the stadium the next time you decide to attend a game. :cautious:

I'll let them know. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Captain, maybe if the Packers need to lose the last game of the year to move up few spots in the draft, we can all pool our money and get you to Detroit? :coffee: