Worth a look

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the staff should flirt with the ideal if moving Nick Perry to the middle. I mean seriously? Can he be any worse then anyone else we have in the middle? Perry outside of Peppers is probably the most athletic lb on the roster . Remember AJ made the move to the middle after spending 4 yrs on the outside. We all are very desperate to get production out if the middle and TT hasn't done well picking ilbs. Also what's the deal with this Hubbard dude? He's a big dude but he looks like a fluid enough athlete to give some reps to. Time to move Brad Jones off the active list and let some of these younger guys get some action while also finding Hawks replacement for next season.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the staff should flirt with the ideal if moving Nick Perry to the middle. I mean seriously? Can he be any worse then anyone else we have in the middle? Perry outside of Peppers is probably the most athletic lb on the roster . Remember AJ made the move to the middle after spending 4 yrs on the outside. We all are very desperate to get production out if the middle and TT hasn't done well picking ilbs. Also what's the deal with this Hubbard dude? He's a big dude but he looks like a fluid enough athlete to give some reps to. Time to move Brad Jones off the active list and let some of these younger guys get some action while also finding Hawks replacement for next season.

I´m all for replacing our ILBs, but I don´t think moving Perry during the season would end up paying dividends.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m all for replacing our ILBs, but I don´t think moving Perry during the season would end up paying dividends.

You don't think he could pick it up? I don't know if you remember but AJ hawk. Spent the 1st 8 or 9 games at weak side backer in 2008 then was moved to the middle. I think Perry could do it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

You don't think he could pick it up? I don't know if you remember but AJ hawk. Spent the 1st 8 or 9 games at weak side backer in 2008 then was moved to the middle. I think Perry could do it.

The reason for that move was Nick Barnett suffering a season ending injury though and Hawk didn´t play great most of the time during the second half of that season.

I don´t think Perry would offer more than any of our ILBs at the moment.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree with the captain that a mid-season move would likely hurt more than help.

I suggested they try Perry inside this past off season. He looks the part and would be a load in the middle. I would expect he'd be a good blitzer from the middle where finesse is not required.

I have my doubts he'd handle coverage particularly well. And there are the matters of reading the play, getting the gaps and angles right in the run game, not getting fooled by misdirection and play action...the mental and instinctual aspects of the position.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I suggested they try Perry inside this past off season. He looks the part and would be a load in the middle. I would expect he'd be a good blitzer from the middle where finesse is not required. I have my doubts he'd handle coverage particularly well. And there are the matters of reading the play, getting the gaps and angles right in the run game, not getting fooled by misdirection and play action...the mental and instinctual aspects of the position.
This is what the OP is ignoring IMO. Being big and athletic isn't enough. Perry is finally looking comfortable where he is, I think it would be a mistake to move him to another position. And why would anyone think Hubbard is anywhere near ready for PT at ILB? His natural position is OLB and he's on the PS because he's raw.

I think the best hope at ILB this season is Barrington if he can improve as he gets added reps. Here's what Capers said about him recently: "Sam has made great strides from Year 1 to Year 2," defensive coordinator Dom Capers said. "He's worked really hard at being the communicator out there, to make all of his calls. He's much more decisive doing that now than he was a year ago." Even with Hawk on the field, the other ILB is expected to be able to make the calls and it takes some time and experience at the position to be able to do that.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ng-visits-to-ghana-b99380243z1-280879232.html

Even if Barrington proves worthy of a starting spot, I hope Thompson recognizes ILB as a priority need in the draft and that an ILB candidate worthy of being drafted is available at one of their top picks.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
This is what the OP is ignoring IMO. Being big and athletic isn't enough. Perry is finally looking comfortable where he is, I think it would be a mistake to move him to another position. And why would anyone think Hubbard is anywhere near ready for PT at ILB? His natural position is OLB and he's on the PS because he's raw.

I think the best hope at ILB this season is Barrington if he can improve as he gets added reps. Here's what Capers said about him recently: "Sam has made great strides from Year 1 to Year 2," defensive coordinator Dom Capers said. "He's worked really hard at being the communicator out there, to make all of his calls. He's much more decisive doing that now than he was a year ago." Even with Hawk on the field, the other ILB is expected to be able to make the calls and it takes some time and experience at the position to be able to do that.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ng-visits-to-ghana-b99380243z1-280879232.html

Even if Barrington proves worthy of a starting spot, I hope Thompson recognizes ILB as a priority need in the draft and that an ILB candidate worthy of being drafted is available at one of their top picks.

Sorry, I just don't believe anything Capers has to say after reading some of his quotes

D

Deleted member 6794

I hope Thompson takes a look at free agency to address the position. I know it´s still early in the process but it seems like there aren´t any guys as talented as C.J. Mosley in next year´s draft class (not taking any underclassmen into consideration).

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Sorry, I just don't believe anything Capers has to say after reading some of his quotes
You don't have to believe him, look at his actions: Barrington has started a couple of games and gotten more snaps than Lattimore. Capers' statements weren't controversial so what's not to believe?

Here's something else not to believe, from one of Capers' assistants: "Sam is a big, strong, young powerful football player that has great upside. He's working hard at it," said assistant head coach/linebackers Winston Moss. "He's being very professional. He's a hard worker. He's a good man. He gives the best effort. He gives you his all. If he continues to do that, his opportunity will come." (From the article linked above.)

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more. I think a lot of it's just lip service in order to keep his job. He says the right things but the results dont match what he's sAying. This team can't play the 3-4. It's funny how some of you said that we don't have 4-3 personnel but if you look at the roster we actually have more 4-3 personnel than 3-4 personnel. I know Matthews was drafted to play in the 3-4 but oh well. If he's as good as I think he is he can still find a way to be productive and disruptive. Kampman was one of the premiere defensive ends when we made the switch to the 3-4 but that didn't matter. the Packers did what was best for the TEAM not the player .

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Couldn't agree more. I think a lot of it's just lip service in order to keep his job. He says the right things but the results dont match what he's sAying. This team can't play the 3-4. It's funny how some of you said that we don't have 4-3 personnel but if you look at the roster we actually have more 4-3 personnel than 3-4 personnel.

While that may be true for the defensive lineman we don´t have the linebackers to play a 4-3.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
You don't have to believe him, look at his actions: Barrington has started a couple of games and gotten more snaps than Lattimore. Capers' statements weren't controversial so what's not to believe?

Here's something else not to believe, from one of Capers' assistants: "Sam is a big, strong, young powerful football player that has great upside. He's working hard at it," said assistant head coach/linebackers Winston Moss. "He's being very professional. He's a hard worker. He's a good man. He gives the best effort. He gives you his all. If he continues to do that, his opportunity will come." (From the article linked above.)

Yea, just like all the talk about what Brad brings to the table and his work ethic and so on...........Like someone else on here said its just "LIP SERVICE".........If I cant put a good D on the field, lets talk up my players......... I don't believe him

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moving a player to a new position at this point of the season?Only if it is necessary say because of injuries.Remember Perry was a first round draft pick in 2012 and played DE in college(another DE Capers turned into an OLB)it's been two years now and it has become quite apparent that he is not the answer opposite Clay Mathews which is why they signed Peppers but being a 1st rounder the Packers aren't going to give up yet in the HOPE he can still improve.Since it looks like he hasn't made the jump at OLB if they were to move him to ILB it won't happen until training camp next year.A.J. Hawk is not Pro Bowl caliber and the only reason he is the starter is because he knows the calls but I do think it is time to groom someone for the future,that position is in dire need of an upgrade.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that may be true for the defensive lineman we don´t have the linebackers to play a 4-3.

hawk started his career as a 4-3 lb , Clay Matthews played olb in a 4-3 defense at USC, Hubbard played olb in Sabans 4-3 defense at Bama, and pretty much all the other true lbs on the roster played 4-3 in college. We have the linebackers they just don't want to switch. It would be diffetent if they had no experience at all big that's not true.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

hawk started his career as a 4-3 lb , Clay Matthews played olb in a 4-3 defense at USC, Hubbard played olb in Sabans 4-3 defense at Bama, and pretty much all the other true lbs on the roster played 4-3 in college. We have the linebackers they just don't want to switch. It would be diffetent if they had no experience at all but that's not true.

D

Deleted member 6794

hawk started his career as a 4-3 lb , Clay Matthews played olb in a 4-3 defense at USC, Hubbard played olb in Sabans 4-3 defense at Bama, and pretty much all the other true lbs on the roster played 4-3 in college. We have the linebackers they just don't want to switch. It would be diffetent if they had no experience at all big that's not true.

You really would feel comfortable with Hawk, Matthews and Hubbard starting at LB in a 4-3??? I wouldn't, that's for sure.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You really would feel comfortable with Hawk, Matthews and Hubbard starting at LB in a 4-3??? I wouldn't, that's for sure.

Lol no man that's just an example of the lbs on the roster. My starters would look more like this. Clay Matthews olb Lattimore mlb and I'd draft another true olb in the 1st round.

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. I think a lot of it's just lip service in order to keep his job. He says the right things but the results dont match what he's sAying. This team can't play the 3-4. It's funny how some of you said that we don't have 4-3 personnel but if you look at the roster we actually have more 4-3 personnel than 3-4 personnel. I know Matthews was drafted to play in the 3-4 but oh well. If he's as good as I think he is he can still find a way to be productive and disruptive. Kampman was one of the premiere defensive ends when we made the switch to the 3-4 but that didn't matter. the Packers did what was best for the TEAM not the player .
Agree, agree, agree.
A-rod's prime doesn't last forever, we've got to take advantage of the guy under center, a big helping hand could be a new Defense.
And I really like the idea of a 4-3, and was praying for it in the off season.
We have a bunch of guys who would fit well in a 4-3, Mike Daniels would be the anchor at DT, Neal, Perry and Julius as DE's, CM3 playing SLB just as Von Miller, Hawk MLB and Barrington WLB.

Give it a try for a couple of seasons, It really can't be any worse than what we have.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree, agree, agree.
A-rod's prime doesn't last forever, we've got to take advantage of the guy under center, a big helping hand could be a new Defense.
And I really like the idea of a 4-3, and was praying for it in the off season.
We have a bunch of guys who would fit well in a 4-3, Mike Daniels would be the anchor at DT, Neal, Perry and Julius as DE's, CM3 playing SLB just as Von Miller, Hawk MLB and Barrington WLB.

Give it a try for a couple of seasons, It really can't be any worse than what we have.[/QUOTE

Yea and maybe TT can stop wasting 1st rd picks on college defensive ends that they are drafting to play olb anyways.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Desmond Bishop and Nick Barnett? Two guys who have played in our system as starters. Why won't TT bring them back to help in the middle? At least one of them. How about John Jolly to play on the line? He does realize we suck on defense right? Or is he in denial like Caper.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Desmond Bishop and Nick Barnett? Two guys who have played in our system as starters. Why won't TT bring them back to help in the middle? At least one of them. How about John Jolly to play on the line? He does realize we suck on defense right? Or is he in denial like Caper.

Why won't anyone bring them back? Ugh they must all be blind idiots!

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why won't anyone bring them back? Ugh they must all be blind idiots!

The point is we need help on defense. Bishop was doing pretty good in this system until he tore his hammy,and Barnett wasn't all that bad here either. Smart guy . Maybe your solution is better?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point is we need help on defense. Bishop was doing pretty good in this system until he tore his hammy,and Barnett wasn't all that bad here either. Smart guy . Maybe your solution is better?
Why stop there? Why not darren sharper too? Oh wait...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Packers tried the 4-3 in the opener against Seattle. Why would you think it would be better vs. the run? Mike Daniels is the "anchor" at DT? Not vs. the run full time he isn't. And why do you think Hawk would be better vs. the run at MLB in the 4-3 than he is at ILB in the 3-4?