worst Packers 1st round draft pick?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree it's foolish for fans to boo a pick just because they didn't anticipate it. But I believe that was one of the reasons for Packers fans booing Thompson for that pick. Before joining the Packers Harrell had right leg surgery, broke his ankle, re-injured ankle on first snap back, another ankle injury, and a biceps injury all causing him to miss about 30% of his college games. So yes, I think there is merit to the injury risk label. But the only thing I blame Harrell for is arriving at TC overweight and out of shape.

After the draft Thompson said they got offers to trade out of that spot and Jacksonville did trade out one pick after the Packers so we have an idea of what Thompson was offered. Jacksonville received Denver's first, third, and sixth rounders for pick 17. If they offered the Packers the same deal, Thompson would have only had to drop 5 spots in the first round to pick up an extra third and sixth pick, or better. So with perfect 20/20 hindsight...

I remember sitting on my couch during that draft and when they announced the pick I said "WHO?" grabbed my draft guide and saw they picked a projected 3rd to 5th rounder.

D

Deleted member 6794

I cant see Mandrich being the worst, he spent a decade in the league, its not comparable when we have drafted someone 1st overall and they never even played

To be fair he didn´t play for four season between 1992-95 though.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
can't believe no-ones mentioned that Aaron Rodgers guy, he's been a bit of a bust :whistling:

Well... as amazing as it might sound...we did have a few Packer fans actually start questioning Aaron Rodgers because he actually was off target on a couple throws over the first couple games this year.

I'll never get over some fans how they can do that. We can have all the proof in the world about a guy and all they need is a few bad games (or even just a few plays) and they think something else of the player.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember sitting on my couch during that draft and when they announced the pick I said "WHO?" grabbed my draft guide and saw they picked a projected 3rd to 5th rounder.

So that's exactly what I hate. If those draft guides were any good, the authors would employed by the teams to help with their scouting.

I think we only got 1-3 healthy games from Harrell, but I saw flashes of why we drafted him where we did in those games.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I remember reading that the coaching staff made Carroll wear boxing gloves during practice so he'd stop grabbing and holding receivers. He still did.
And not only that but it apparently planted an idea in his head. CBs Carroll and Joey Thomas were the first two picks of the 2004 draft (the same draft Sherman traded up into the third round to pick punter BJ Sanders). Carroll became best known for committing PI penalties (thus the boxing gloves) and giving up long passes. From a packersnews article, “… cornerbacks Ahmad Carroll and Joey Thomas duked it out in a hallway following a meeting. Carroll was upset that some of his teammates, including Thomas, were making sport of his on-field mistakes in the film room, so he sucker-punched Thomas after the meeting.”
http://archive.packersnews.com/arti...back-memories-Ahmad-Carroll-Joey-Thomas-fight
There's no evidence he was wearing the gloves at the time. Thanks for that reminder, Darth Garfunkel and somebody cue the song, “Memories”… :D

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well... as amazing as it might sound...we did have a few Packer fans actually start questioning Aaron Rodgers because he actually was off target on a couple throws over the first couple games this year.

I'll never get over some fans how they can do that. We can have all the proof in the world about a guy and all they need is a few bad games (or even just a few plays) and they think something else of the player.
i never actually realised how good Aaron had been until i joined this forum, then had a look at A-rods wiki page. you just can't argue with the numbers, but he can't do everything on his own

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way it wouldn't be #2 pick overall Tony Mandarich would be if some of you remember Bruce Clark (1980, #4 overall).

Clark told the Packers NOT to draft him because he wouldn't play for them, they drafted him, and he signed and played in Canada for 2 years and then came back and played in the NFL for 7 yrs with New Orleans.

At least when Elway pulled his Diva act on Baltimore they received some picks in compensation... Packers got NOTHING for the #4 pick wasted on Clark.

The Packers in the 1980 did draft Bruce Clark in first round, ( 4 pick) in 1980 NFL Draft.

In 1980 , Bruce Clark decided to sign a contract with CFL team, instead of signing contract with the Packers.
Clark played in CFL from 1980 to 1982. Then He decided he wanted to play in NFL in 1983.

However ,in 1983, the Packers still had the rights to Bruce Clark. .The Packers traded Bruce Clark to New Orleans Saints for the Saint's 1st round 1983 draft choice .

In 1983, The Packers drafted CB Tim Lewis with Saints first round 1983 draft choice, that the Packers received in that Bruce Clark trade with the Saints .

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks PWT ~ I never knew that we DID get something in return for Clark. That vaults Tony Mandarich right back to the top of my list. There will always be 1st/2nd round "misses" such as John Michels, Harrell, Reynolds, Fullwood, and Campbell... but the REALLY high picks "hurt" the most. Everyone old enough will probably always remember the flame-outs of: Jamarcus Russel, Charles Rogers, Akili Smith, and Ryan Leaf because they were top-3 picks.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh come on...T Buck? he was Jim Thorpe! Lets see....we need to talk about no skill shown...Jamal Reynolds....Fullwood....Rich Campbell....2008 was the worst - no 1st rounder.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh come on...T Buck? he was Jim Thorpe! Lets see....we need to talk about no skill shown...Jamal Reynolds....Fullwood....Rich Campbell....2008 was the worst - no 1st rounder.

We got Jordy Nelson in 2008 by trading back our 1st round pick with the Jets. Turned out to be a very good move.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As PikeBadger pointed out, 2008 turned out to be one of the best. Jordy would have been a great first round pick taken at the top of round 2. If the subject is "no skill shown" Fullwood doesn't belong on that list. He was actually a pro bowler in 1989. He gained 821 yards with a 4 ypc average and scored 5 TDs that season. He also had 19 catches for 214 yards. He scored 8 TDs and averaged 4.8 ypc the year before. He only played in 45 games in 4 seasons with the Packers - obviously not nearly enough for the 4th overall pick but certainly better than Jamal Reynolds and Rich Campbell.

BTW, worst thing about the T-Buck pick: Passing on CB Troy Vincent, or went 2 picks later.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can recall someone on Green and Gold saying that the scout mainly responsible for the western US told someone within the organization immediately after the Rich Campbell pick that it was a terrible selection and that the guy simply can't throw. When asked why he didn't tell the GM (I've actually no idea who was responsible for the 1981 draft) he replied nobody would have believed him anyway.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score