Worst Packer of all time?

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
T.J. Rubley. Back from the pre-internet days, pre-Sunday Ticket days (for me), I could never figure out why the Packers lost that game in 1995 against Minnesota when they had the ball in field goal range. It was only after reading a book that I found out how the game was lost - Rubley audibling into a roll-out and throwing a pick that cost the Packers that game.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering everything, ammount of resources invested in him, importance of the guy, and the production we got from him, it's hard to surpass Mandarich.

Some others have played worse, like Carroll or Barbre, but Mandarich was the 2rd overall pick, ahead of players like Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders and Derrick Thomas...

(thanks for the correction ThxJackVainisi)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree, PackersRS but it was slightly worse than that. The first five picks of the 1989 draft were:

1. Dallas: Troy Aikman
2. Packers: Tony "Roids" Mandarich
3. Lions: Barry Sanders
4. Chiefs: Derrick Thomas
5. Falcons: Deion Sanders

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I'm surprised Jim McMahon never played for the Lions.

He was with Chicago, then Minnesota, then a back up on our roster. Talk about going around the NFC Central! (NFC North at the time was called the Central)

McMahon was an overrated quarterback though.
I've heard Bears fans blame his injury back in '86 to them blowing it in the playoffs vs Washington, but if you ever watch tape of the old Bears offense, McMahon didn't really have to do anything. It was hand off to Payton, hand off to Payton, hand off to Payton every single down. I have nothing but the deepest respect for Walter Payton, but they really over worked him most of the time. Just look at the old stats. They had over 150 rushing yards for almost every single game.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
All time like ever? Barty Smith, Jim Del Gaizo, Brian Dowling (BD from Doonesbury comic strip), and a host of others from the mid 70's to the late 80's. They were bad for a reason for a long time and it wasn't all coaching.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I agree, PackersRS but it was slightly worse than that. The first five picks of the 1989 draft were:

1. Dallas: Troy Aikman
2. Packers: Tony "Roids" Mandarich
3. Lions: Barry Sanders
4. Chiefs: Derrick Thomas
5. Falcons: Deion Sanders

Holy ****, and the 4 of 5 of those are hall of famers. We missed out that year :(

R.I.P. Derrick Thomas. Man he would have looked good in a Packers uniform opposite side of Reggie on the defensive line.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Upon further review, the worst player based on cost vs productivity is a former NFC POY and All-Star MVP. But for the Packers he was a bust. Not only was he a wasted first round pick (twice) he was also a wasted 2nd round (twice) and a third round. All that for less than two years of non-descript play. The trade for John Hadl wiped out the top of two drafts and set the stage for mediocrity the next ten years. Mandarich and Clark were each one wasted pick; Hadl was 5! I'm not sure you could get that much value now for A-rod or Brees.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Seconded. Though I won't consider him a traitor for wearing the Bears jersey, he was just a Bear dressed in Packer clothing. The worst kind of Packer of them all.
The word was that he put on a Bears hat when they had the team picture taken at the White House.
I kinda liked him for that, we all knew he wasn't a Packer.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
The word was that he put on a Bears hat when they had the team picture taken at the White House.
I kinda liked him for that, we all knew he wasn't a Packer.

I believe the story is he wore a Bears jersey. To represent the Bears who never made it there when they won their lone, isolated, only SB win.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts