Why I would pick Bates

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I dont know why Bates is not on the NFL hot commodity list at this point. People knock his age but come on at 59 not like he is a dinosaur or something.

Biggest reason why I think people are balking at him is because he is a defensive guy. Traditionally people like offensiveminded people because they pose the least risk so the thinking goes.

Rhodes is a good defensive guy but could never really get his head around the offensive side of things. You can have an OC all day but unless the HC can articulate what he wants to see it makes not differance.

Bates however seems to be a guy that has gotten his head around the offensive side of the ball. I also like him because he has passion for the game you can see him running over and pumping guys up for good play and dressing them down for stupidity. Favre and Bates also look like they have bonded and this may go a long way in helping Favre come back. say what you want but I dont think Favre wants to go out like he did this year

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like him for the same reasons. I believe the following are some of the active head coaches that were DC's.

Bill Parcells
Bill Belichek
Pete Carroll (USC...which is pretty much a pro team).
Marvin Lewis
Lovie Smith
Herm Edwards
John Fox
Jeff Fischer
Tony Dungy

Not a bad list!

I think the reason more offensive coordinators have been named head coach lately is the "West Coast Offense" phenomena. Everybody wants to hire someone that has a system. Offense is ****, and we all know sex sells.

Cdnpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree 100% Bates is really the only logical choice , I see Lewis is a strong candidate but didn't Cowher fire him and after seeing The "G" men defence play on Sunday I can see why. Listen we know what Bates can do on defence thats more than the other guys. Lets give him a chance!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey cdnpackfn.

that ain't totally fair..

The "G" Men had no "L" men...or linebackers.....

They weren't too bad on D before all the LB's got hurt...

(Still wouldn't hire him though to coach the Pack!)

Members online

Latest posts