1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Why don't we have a veteran backup QB?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Brandon, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Brandon

Brandon Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +106
    I'm completely baffled that as intelligent as our front office is, we don't have a Plan B for if Rodgers goes down. Graham Harrell has looked positively pathetic in his limited starts, which makes sense given his far and few opportunities and his age. I think the 3rd stringer is that B.J Coleman kid? Although the website isn't listing him for some reason, so maybe he's gone?

After watching that Vikings game it makes you really appreciate what you have in a QB, and that was Christian Ponder for crying out loud. Rodgers goes down funny and poof, there goes our chance at a Super Bowl run. And don't kid yourself, Harrell is NOT going to get the job done right now.

It's amazing how Rodgers hasn't been seriously injured given the fact he's consistently one of the most sacked QB's in the league, and you'd think by now our staff would realize this and comfort the weary by grabbing a veteran backup.

One guy I'd really love to take a shot at next year in the FA market is Chase Daniel, the current backup for the New Orleans Saints. He'll be entering his 5th year in the NFL and his stats are pretty good for a backup. Thoughts?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  2. UCSB616

UCSB616 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    I heard Favre isn't doing much these days. Jeez, we have a playoff game and people are worried about the backup qb. If Rodgers goes down we lose, if ponder goes down vikings lose, if Brady goes down patriots lose, see the pattern?

3. Marvin49

Marvin49 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    If the Niners lose we...oh....hrmm....

It is true tho....any QB thats worth anything will leave for a chance to be a starter. Alex is gone after the season.

4. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Because Flynn left and Free Agents aren't our style?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,295
    We don't know nearly enough about Harrell to know whether he could come in and effectively operate the offense in Rodgers' absence. All we have to go on for recent history is a few preseason games, a couple of which were very bad, one okay, and one very good.

I do know that he has 3 years in our offensive system and there isn't a veteran QB sitting on his couch unwanted by all other teams that could immediately pick up our offense and come in and operate it better than Graham off the bat.

• Like Like x 1
  6. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Harrell has only gone through one offseason camp, same as Coleman

Apparently not by this one either or he wouldn be on the couch

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,295
    That's not true. He was with the team from May until September 2010, on the practice squad all of 2010 and 2011 except for some active roster time, and on the active roster all of this year. His time with the team is not comparable to Coleman's.

8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,014
    They see him in practice every day. I'll trust them to make the right call and not be the Vikings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    The QB camp happens in the offseason, this was his first year here with an offseason:
    http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...-Harrell/50322a5e-9b64-4318-afa8-82920a1c8150
    http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...-to-grow/d7cd7e99-0a74-4a19-9d6b-e6550bcbb367

• Like Like x 1
  10. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,295
    • Like Like x 1
  11. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Knowing the system, yes. They say that he already knows the system, it's his ability to execute the system that's lacking, and that is for QB camp

• Like Like x 1
  12. UCSB616

UCSB616 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    Tebow was a starter once too . . . Still if Rodgers goes down this game it hurts us a lot more than if kaep goes down. Nevertheless I didn't include teams like Seattle and SF that have expensive backup qb because those situations are usually one year deals. In SF case it was because the "expensive backup" was a starter who was beaten out (for lack of a better word since that may or may not be the situation depending on your point of view). Guy pegged to start was certainly beaten out in Seattle. You get the point.

13. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,773
    I think thats a bit hard on Harrell to be fair IMO. He`s hardly in a position to gain experience, and from what I`ve seen of him this year, he`s hardly been a donkey !
    The guy has got to learn his game, and who better to learn from than Aaron Rodgers ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown Bear Fan's Bane

Ratings:
    +357
    I've wondered this myself but MM/TT have gone with rookies/draftees as their backups since Rodgers first started. I'll trust their judgement.

15. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +358
    As I understand it, the Front Office knows if Aaron Rodgers goes down for a long period of time, basically no matter who we have as our backup our chances for the Super Bowl are over. What the Packers look for in a backup though is someone who can come in for a game or two and at least keep us in contention. (Like Flynn.) While I have given Harrell a lot of flack, I agree with the Packers strategy. Younger in almost all cases, is better. McCarthy wants a young guy he can groom to fit the system. Not some old guy with bad habits who's just looking for some money to shore up his retirement.

There is a reason veteran quarterbacks, year in and year out are always in abundance. They don't have much to offer anymore.

Besides, if we need a veteran quarterback at the last second I know a guy in Hattiesburg who wouldn't mind the opportunity. ;)

16. LZ13

LZ13 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    I don't see Harrell as NFL-material - he lacks the nerve. And there is no amount of training that can usually cure that. Another Brohm. We need a guy that can game manage in the NFL, under the lights in front of millions. The time to bring in a young guy is when Rodgers is getting up in years, like we did with Favre - then bring in a 1st or 2nd round QB that has promise. Until then, I think we just need a backup that can function under pressure. The OP is correct - if Rodgers goes down, the season is over, in perhaps an even uglier manner than the Vikings season ended last week.

17. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    It is a question of availability. Be careful what you wish for, word on the street is Vick is going to be on the market.

18. Trapped In Vikingville

Trapped In Vikingville Trapped

Ratings:
    +156
    Oh brother................how about why are they wearing green and gold?