Why does Brett do this?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Link:
"I'd be the first to say there are questions about us," Favre said. "Who are we? Where do we stand? How good are we? We may have won six games in a row [including four wins at the end of last season], but I don't feel like we're a 6-0 team."

-------------------------------------------

Why does he say this stuff? Why?

I won't blame him for feeling that way if that's how he feels, but WHY say it? What good can this accomplish?

And a lot of you will say "He's a hall of famer, he can say what he wants!" or "He's just an honest guy, since when is that a bad thing?"

He's been in the NFL for 15 years, the 'aww shucks' thing isn't fooling anyone. He knows better than this.

As we ALL know, this is a young team, and saying this type of stuff won't be helping anyone's confidence. Is this some type of strange motivational trick? "Hey, our starting QB and locker room leader thinks we're not as good as we're playing, let's show him wrong! yay!" ? ? ? ? ? ?

This is not an anti-favre thread. I love Favre. I am glad he is playing well so far this year as well, with not all-pro talent at every position. I just wish he would stop this kind of stuff.

Go Packers.

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he wants to prevent an attitude of "the job's aleady done" amongst the younger guys. Once they start hearing praise it would be only natural to think they're going great and don't need to keep working. Brett knows thats far from the truth, they are a long way off perfect. I think comments like that show he is desperate to add another ring, and it's better reading something like that then him saying something like "we have done all we can, this is as good as it gets, etc."

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've come to look at Favre's comments in the way I would look at a coach's comments. After all, he's almost as old as the coach, and many of his teammates are almost as young as his oldest daughter.

I see it on the field too. Favre almost never used to bark at his teammates, but he's done it more and more in the past few years. I don't really like it, and I don't think we'll find out what his teammates think about it till after he leaves. So far my impression is that Favre's teammates accept him as their leader and genuinely like him, and if that's true, statements such as the one you quoted will help motivate the team to continue improving.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I've come to look at Favre's comments in the way I would look at a coach's comments. After all, he's almost as old as the coach, and many of this teammates are almost as young as his oldest daughter.

I see it on the field too. Favre almost never used to bark at his teammates, but he's done it more and more in the past few years. I don't really like it, and I don't think we'll find out what he's teammates think about it till after he leaves. So far my impression is that Favre's teammates accept him as their leader and genuinely like him, and if that's true, statements such as the one you quoted will help motivate the team to continue improving.
I also think he's just trying to keep the reins in on the young kids. Don't let them get too big for their britches, or you can fall just as fast as you climbed. Especially only 2 games into a 16 game schedule.
And i think the reason he's "barking" is, these are young kids that are just learning. In the past, we had alot of vets that KNEW when they screwed up, and what to do next time. These kids are learning on the run, and there is no time to molly coddle them. If you don't fix the problem fast, your team will go down the toilet.

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
let's not forget these are not high school kids. yes they are rookies, but unproven rookies earning per season what most of us will earn in a lifetime, and they need to be shown they are not in the NFL for a holiday!

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As all football players know deep down, they need to be barked at.

How much barking (and biting) did Lombardi do on the side-lines and in the locker room. If you go soft on the team, the team plays soft. Basic football psychology. If you whip their ***, they will turn around and whip somebody else's ***. Hopefully, someone on the opposing team. You need a certain amount of anger to play football, and even controlled hatred.

Favre knows that over-confidence is a killer in this league. The Redskins whipped the Eagles last night, so how good are the Eagles really? How good are the Redskins? We already know that the Giants defense stinks. But this week a good team with a chip on it's shoulder is coming into Green Bay. This could be a good test to find out where the Pack is, that is, if San Diego is still a good team under Norv Turner. But don't worry. The good teams are out there, and eventually the Packers will be facing them.

Favre realizes, and rightfully so, that this is not a good team yet. Despite their current record, and he wants this young team full of rookies to remain focused so that they can get better as the year goes on.

It's called, dealing with reality, son!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's a humility thing. I just want to thank God for the opportunity; there's no 'I' in 'team'; you just have to take it one game at a time... etc.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because hes not going to come out there and say "They are the best", every game is going to be different and whose on their game that week will win. The Packers do have aways to go and Brett knows it, he has been in the league for a very long time so he sees it. So he is going to be honest when he talks thats what I love about that man. And its about time he gets mad on the field he has worked to hard to get where he is today and he wants the guys to know when they did a bad thing nothing wrong with that IMO. Sunday will tell the story on the Pack I think, if our defense remains great there is no reason we cannot win this next game. But we do have to get our running game intact.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
First, no one needs to be "barked" at, players need to be coached, not barked at.

Second, he's trying to make sure the team doesn't get too big for its britches.

Third, relax on Favre. When someone says as much as he does, theres bound to be some stupid **** said. (ahem, check my post count for proof)

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why shouldn't he? Is he not doing what he can to make sure the team doesn't get complacent?

Considering that he is looking at his final year in the NFL and the team has gotten to a great start, I think he is seeing that playoff dream come alive... Doesn't want the younger, less experienced players to get too full of themselves so he is speaking his mind like he should be.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why shouldn't he? Is he not doing what he can to make sure the team doesn't get complacent?

Considering that he is looking at his final year in the NFL and the team has gotten to a great start, I think he is seeing that playoff dream come alive... Doesn't want the younger, less experienced players to get too full of themselves so he is speaking his mind like he should be.

Perfect

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats what alot of quarterbacks do. They "bark" at the young guys. I saw tom Brady do it on Sunday, no big deal. Dan Marino did it 10 times per game every game and people thought "Wow, Dan is fired up". They didnt think "Dan needs to relax so he doesnt hurt someones feelings"

Steve Young used to do it, What should Brett do when receivers run the wrong way?? "Nice try buddy, get em next time"

What should he do when guys drop 5 passes in a game and ruin the flow of the offense?? With a big smile on his face say "Dont worry, give it your best shot and dont forget to smile"

And as for Bretts comments about how good he thinks we are........ I would think it would be refreshing to hear an honest opinion instead of the same regurgerated crap that comes out of the mouths of professional atheletes like.....One game at a time, team effort, Sky's the limit, Praise god, We can compete with anyone"

Or the stupid guarantees that come out of Detroit and other places. There are no guarantees. The team is young and inexperienced. They lack talent at some key positions. There are glaring weaknesses which will prevent this team (in its present form) from winning a superbowl or even making it past round 1 of the playoffs. That doesnt mean I or Brett hate the Packers. Its just an honest and objective assesment.

Can you deal with that??

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's the leader of the offense and the offense has played well in one half of two games.

I think he is being a little harsh when speaking of the 6-0 record because overall, including both offense and defense, the team has played solid.

We did not start out very well in the area he is in charge of and probably won't say much of anything positive until the offense plays more consistantly at the level it did in the second half sunday.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have some news for Brett and everyone that keeps bringing up last years last four wins. It doesn't mean anything this year.

We are 2-0 and that's it. The Eagles and the Giants didn't help their own causes either.

I am pleased with our record, however our offense needs work. The only thing we have right now is a passing game when Brett is hot. That is simply not enough. When we get the running game going, then we'll have something. I am tired of McCarthy talking about running the ball and not delivering. No running game = no playoff run.

So, if Brett wants to talk it down, or chew some butt, or just vent, he's welcome too.

LordEvil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
farve just want us to know that there 14 games left. we could end up 12-4 of 4-12. its all on how the younger guys on the team play. he said sunday after the game that vs the eagle he didnt do anything to help the team win but we got the win. there are just alot of question marks right now, and untill some of the new guys step up, it just so hard to say how good the team really is. look back when we had levens and edger, we really didnt have a 100yd rusher every week, but we still had a good offence.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have some news for Brett and everyone that keeps bringing up last years last four wins. It doesn't mean anything this year.

We are 2-0 and that's it. The Eagles and the Giants didn't help their own causes either.

I am pleased with our record, however our offense needs work. The only thing we have right now is a passing game when Brett is hot. That is simply not enough. When we get the running game going, then we'll have something. I am tired of McCarthy talking about running the ball and not delivering. No running game = no playoff run.

So, if Brett wants to talk it down, or chew some butt, or just vent, he's welcome too.

As far as being "tired of not running the ball" I was actually a lot more tired of losing personally.

I disagree about last years wins as well. If we had LOST six in a row going back to last year it would mean something and so does the streak. Teams do not often put together lengthy winning streaks in the NFL anymore and it shows a team is consistantly doing the things it takes to win. Not just on occasion.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As all football players know deep down, they need to be barked at.

How much barking (and biting) did Lombardi do on the side-lines and in the locker room. If you go soft on the team, the team plays soft. Basic football psychology. If you whip their ***, they will turn around and whip somebody else's ***. Hopefully, someone on the opposing team. You need a certain amount of anger to play football, and even controlled hatred.

Favre knows that over-confidence is a killer in this league. The Redskins whipped the Eagles last night, so how good are the Eagles really? How good are the Redskins? We already know that the Giants defense stinks. But this week a good team with a chip on it's shoulder is coming into Green Bay. This could be a good test to find out where the Pack is, that is, if San Diego is still a good team under Norv Turner. But don't worry. The good teams are out there, and eventually the Packers will be facing them.

Favre realizes, and rightfully so, that this is not a good team yet. Despite their current record, and he wants this young team full of rookies to remain focused so that they can get better as the year goes on.

It's called, dealing with reality, son!

Way to ruin a great post by being a condescending old fart.

I think Brett's enjoying himself on the field, and that's alot better than what we've seen the last two years. (insert scowling, grumpy old man Brett picture here)

Last Sunday we all saw him laughing, and generally having a good time out there. But once he starts looking to next week, I would guess he realizes the importance of 'any given Sunday'. To win more than ten games in this league, especially with the schedule the Pack has, the team has to play balls-out every single week.

Before this season started, alot of us would have been ok with a playoff appearance. Now, I can guarantee that we all want a Superbowl, and that's how Brett has been feeling every single year.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think everyone has said it.

This team has to stay hungry, or we'll fall flat on our faces.

We lost several winnable games last year (Saints, Rams, BILLS!!!).

If we can beat the teams we're supposed to beat, and win one of the the tough games, we can make the playoffs.

Once you make the playoffs , anythings possible...

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say what I said last week and that is there certainly should not be any complacency on either side of the ball on our part.

The defense knows they have some things to tighten up and the offense has played one good half out of four.

All the coaches have to do is pull out their first pre season game film from last year and let the players sit and watch. But does anyone really think the players even need that to motivate them here?

GAINING respect and HAVING respect are two totally different things. To me this week is nut cuttin' time and the players know what a win here means. A perfect opportunity if you ask me. We get to play a team that has what we want. RESPECT. They have it. We're fighting for it.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre has said some stupid things to the media before. Anyone who doesn't think that is a Brett Favre Homer.

With that said I don't think Favre meant to criticize the team or anything with this statement. I think he was just saying they can't get overconfident and they need to play like every week is a must win.

I could be wrong. I'm not Brett Favre but that's how I took it.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To be clear Brett specifically said (regard a question on winning 6 in a row) that last year didn't matter and he doesn't look at this as a team that won 6 in a row.

I for one like the way he put things in perspective. He was measured in his praise and gave himself the (few) knocks he deserved. The guy is simply very humble and you can only answer the "is the Pack back" question so many ways short of saying "hell yeah!"

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On an ESPN interview with Sal Palantonio after the game, Brett said he looks at it like they are 0-2 because this team has to play like their backs are against the wall every week.

He also said, "Are we as good as San Diego? No. When you look at it on paper, we aren't. Can we beat them? Yes, we can."

Just throwing more out there.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's true, though. SD is a very talented, no, extremely talented team, and then we go on the road to face a division rival, then play a Sunday Night game against arguably the best team in the NFC, (also arguably the best D, and arguably the best Special Teams). That same team that blew us out @ home 26-0 last year.

Just like it's no longer a stretch to say that the Pack could start out 3-0, it's also not a stretch to say that they could end up 2-3. The more I think about it, the more I see this as pure veteran leadership from the Unflappable Favre.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at Favre's comments in context they are simply good leadership and accurate.

Is the team 6 - 0? No, they are 2 - 0 with a six game streak dating back to last year's team.

Is San Diego better on paper? Yes, but Brett clearly said and understands that games are not won on paper.

I always told young players to play like they were behind regardless of the score. Playing with a sense of urgency is critical to success. Brett telling his young teammates not to get too full of their press clippings (like the Saints seem to have) is good leadership. Winning a division requires focus and urgency.

In answer to your question -- that is why Brett does that>

Members online

Latest posts