Why do players do this?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During the Panthers fiasco game, they showed the hand of the Carolina's center on the ball showing that he wasn't wearing a glove and his knuckles had white tape covering each one on every finger.
So why do football players tape their knuckles?
Do only certain players do it or every player?
And would a player still do it if he wears gloves or only non-gloved players?

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never noticed many players having tape on their fingers. It must be for protection, not temperature, because the only body part allowed in the neutral zone is the center's right hand. Tape is not needed on the left hand because it is on the ground.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During the Panthers fiasco game, they showed the hand of the Carolina's center on the ball showing that he wasn't wearing a glove and his knuckles had white tape covering each one on every finger.
So why do football players tape their knuckles?
Do only certain players do it or every player?
And would a player still do it if he wears gloves or only non-gloved players?
Believe it or not it is preventative measures to avoid breaks, dislocations and sprains of the finger joints. If you see them with figures taped together they are more than likely playing with dislocated joints or even broken fingers. Those guys in the trenches beat the hell out of their hands and taping those knuckles protects them more than you would think.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Believe it or not it is preventative measures to avoid breaks, dislocations and sprains of the finger joints. If you see them with figures taped together they are more than likely playing with dislocated joints or even broken fingers. Those guys in the trenches beat the hell out of their hands and taping those knuckles protects them more than you would think.
Thanx.
This is the first great answer I've seen on this and I asked somewhere else to.

Does this also apply to the QB?
I've either never noticed or it just doesn't look like they have their knuckles taped up.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanx.

I've either never noticed or it just doesn't look like they have their knuckles taped up.

Most QBs prefer having a bare throwing hand to feel the football and have unliminited control of their grips. That is why Matthew Stafford had a glove modified to only have one finger (the middle one). So if you see a QB with tape on his right hand chances are he already injured it.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanx.

You will generally only see it on offensive and defensive lineman and linebackers. As the poster above me mentioned, if you see on a “skill” position player, they are more than likely playing with some sort of injury

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition, it does also help keep the number of contusions down. Fingers are bending and flexing constantly in the trenches as they grab, punch, and pull at one another. Hands end up hitting facemasks and pads quite often. It's not hard to start getting bleeders, especially at those bending/flexing points. The tape helps with that too.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
In addition, it does also help keep the number of contusions down. Fingers are bending and flexing constantly in the trenches as they grab, punch, and pull at one another. Hands end up hitting facemasks and pads quite often. It's not hard to start getting bleeders, especially at those bending/flexing points. The tape helps with that too.
This was my first thought also. Sort of why boxers tape their hands inside their gloves, or so I've always assumed.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always find it interesting when a player looses his cool and takes out his frustration on the opposing player by shoving or trying to hit him.
He is not going to hurt the other guy with all the gear on.
From what you describe, he will hurt himself.
I guess it's probably a reflexive action that comes up in the heat of the moment in an intense game.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always find it interesting when a player looses his cool and takes out his frustration on the opposing player by shoving or trying to hit him.
He is not going to hurt the other guy with all the gear on.
From what you describe, he will hurt himself.
I guess it's probably a reflexive action that comes up in the heat of the moment in an intense game.

They aren't trying to injure opponents by pushing and shoving them.

Members online

Latest posts