Who's on the shelves for 2016 NFL free agency.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers sign Kuhn to a veteran minimum deal he would earn $985,000 next season but because of the cap benefit rule would only count $600,000 against the cap. With Ripkowski having a cap hit of $551,599 for 2016 I agree with Pokerbrat that money won't be a factor in the Packers decision to bring back Kuhn.

The money part was more a joke towards the "cut everybody, pay nobody nothing" crowd.

I think age would more of a factor in not bringing back Kuhn. Why spend on the draft pick on Rip and keep a 33 year-old FB? Plus, Kuhn might get one of those compensatory picks in return everybody loves so much.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kuhn will be 34 when the season starts, so no doubt he doesn't have a lot of years ahead of him and Ripkowski appears to be the heir apparent, but as long as Kuhn can keep contributing in the ways that he does, the Packers may keep carrying 2 FB's on the roster. BTW, John Riggins had the best year of his career at the age of 34 (1347 yards and 24 TD's) and he had a lot more miles on his tires.

The only similarity between John Riggins and John Kuhn is their first name.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The only similarity between John Riggins and John Kuhn is their first name.
Sorry for missing the obvious, that they are both Johns, glad you were here to make sure we all knew that. I only bothered to point out their position and what Riggins did at this point in his career.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry for missing the obvious, that they are both Johns, glad you were here to make sure we all knew that. I only bothered to point out their position and what Riggins did at this point in his career.

The name part was sarcasm. My point was that comparison can't be made. One guy is a Hall of Fame FB who rushed for 11,352 yards and scored 104 TDs. The other guy rushed for 619 yards and 15 TD's. Guess which is which?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The money part was more a joke towards the "cut everybody, pay nobody nothing" crowd.

What crowd is that? I guess I missed them. When did the Packers start cutting everybody and pay nobody?

Why spend on the draft pick on Rip and keep a 33 year-old FB? Plus, Kuhn might get one of those compensatory picks in return everybody loves so much.

It is called draft and develop. Not even going to list all of the Players that this philosophy has been used for, its actually uncommon when they don't bring a guy along slowly, especially a 6th round pick like Ripkowski. Maybe I am missing something, do you think he is ready to be the starter?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What crowd is that? I guess I missed them. When did the Packers start cutting everybody and pay nobody?

It is called draft and develop. Not even going to list all of the Players that this philosophy has been used for, its actually uncommon when they don't bring a guy along slowly, especially a 6th round pick like Ripkowski. Maybe I am missing something, do you think he is ready to be the starter?

Well, the roster is a numbers game. You only get to keep 53. The Packers seem destined to keep 6 receivers. If Tolzein resigns, the Packers will keep 3 quarterbacks. Room for extra players is already filling-up. Is there room for 2 full backs? By keeping 2 full backs, 6 receivers and 3 quarterbacks, will the Packers lose depth at other positions? All these things come into play when deciding what players to resign.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The name part was sarcasm. My point was that comparison can't be made. One guy is a Hall of Fame FB who rushed for 11,352 yards and scored 104 TDs. The other guy rushed for 619 yards and 15 TD's. Guess which is which?

Sorry if I offended your intelligence, I was only pointing out that at the age of 34, a player (Riggins in this case) isn't necessarily washed up. Beyond age, and the fact that we now know that both players are named John, I was not comparing the two. When Kuhn shows signs that he is too old and physically unable to do what he does better then another player on the Packer roster, then I understand releasing him.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry if I offended your intelligence, I was only pointing out that at the age of 34, a player (Riggins in this case) isn't necessarily washed up. Beyond age, and the fact that we now know that both players are named John, I was not comparing the two. When Kuhn shows signs that he is too old and physically unable to do what he does better then another player on the Packer roster, then I understand releasing him.

A lot of my "get rid of Kuhn" resentment comes from hating the "inside fullback handoff". I hate that play :D

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Tolzien re-signs with GB. He'll be signed elsewhere this year I think. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Denver tries signing him right away, if nothing else to get some leverage in trying to sign Osweiler. Lower to medium money up front, and much bigger in year 2 if he beats him out and is still the starter year 2.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agree with Tolzien not being a Packer next year. Hundley will have had a year plus in the Packers system and showed quite enough in the 2015 Preseason to be the #2. Personally, I prefer 2 QB's on the active roster and 1 on the PS. That extra spot is nice for ST players or guys like Ripkowski that you don't want to gamble losing off the PS.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think age would more of a factor in not bringing back Kuhn. Why spend on the draft pick on Rip and keep a 33 year-old FB? Plus, Kuhn might get one of those compensatory picks in return everybody loves so much.

Kuhn didn't show any signs of regressing last season and with his knowledge of the playbook I expect him to be back this year as well.

While I get that you were being sarcastic I just want to point out to any other posters getting excited about a possible compensation pick that he won't yield one if another team signs him to a contract close to the veteran's minimum.

Well, the roster is a numbers game. You only get to keep 53. The Packers seem destined to keep 6 receivers. If Tolzein resigns, the Packers will keep 3 quarterbacks. Room for extra players is already filling-up. Is there room for 2 full backs? By keeping 2 full backs, 6 receivers and 3 quarterbacks, will the Packers lose depth at other positions? All these things come into play when deciding what players to resign.

I agree with some other posters that I don't expect the Packers to re-sign Tolzien. With both fullbacks being capable of playing on special teams there will be room for them at the bottom of the depth chart.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

we should sign everybody for vet minimum. That includes Forte, Miller, Travathan, Jeffrey and a few others. I'd be happy with that otherwise its just too much.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kuhn didn't show any signs of regressing last season and with his knowledge of the playbook I expect him to be back this year as well.

While I get that you were being sarcastic I just want to point out to any other posters getting excited about a possible compensation pick that he won't yield one if another team signs him to a contract close to the veteran's minimum.

I agree with some other posters that I don't expect the Packers to re-sign Tolzien. With both fullbacks being capable of playing on special teams there will be room for them at the bottom of the depth chart.

Vet minimum is only for what the guys are worth if the Packers sign them. They're worth a whole lot more to other teams.

I love it when you read comments like "I'd bring him in for vet minimum and no more" and the guy ends up signing a 3 million dollar a year deal. Now he may not be worth the 3 mil but he's far from vet minimum value either.

D

Deleted member 6794

Vet minimum is only for what the guys are worth if the Packers sign them. They're worth a whole lot more to other teams.

I love it when you read comments like "I'd bring him in for vet minimum and no more" and the guy ends up signing a 3 million dollar a year deal. Now he may not be worth the 3 mil but he's far from vet minimum value either.

There's no way any other team offers Kuhn $3 million per season to leave Green Bay.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh oh, Rams just cut a bunch of decent vets. Get ready for at least 2 more "should we sign" threads.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't think Tolzien re-signs with GB. He'll be signed elsewhere this year I think. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Denver tries signing him right away, if nothing else to get some leverage in trying to sign Osweiler.
Tolzien provides no leverage for any team trying to sign anybody. His best case is going to some team with a QB mess tying find somebody serviceable out of a 3 or 4 man competition.

H

HardRightEdge

The place kicker tag amount last season was $4.126 million. Dunno what this year's number will be, but it's not likely going down. That ain't gonna happen with Crosby. Note the average annual pay among place kickers last season:

http://overthecap.com/position/kicker

A two year deal for a bit more than the $2.45 mil annual average in his last deal is probably in order in consideration of the fact he's gone 3 consecutive years without stinking up the joint.

Or identify the best kicker in college football with some cold weather credibility, draft him as high as the end of the 6th. round pick if he's particularly prized, and pay him peanuts for the next 4 years. Or Thompson could go crazy with one of those 3rd. round comp picks and take Roberto Aguayo, the most highly touted college kicker in quite some time, if he lasts that long.

And yes, there is absolutely no Packer free agent even remotely tag worthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

While your general observation may have some merit, it definitely does not apply to Kuhn.

He made the Pro Bowl in 2014, deservedly so. He was signed for 2015 for $870,00 + $50,000 in bonuses. I'm not going to look it up, but if that was not the vet minimum it was awfully close. He played well again in 2015, again on limited snaps. But he's gotten a year older and certainly didn't improve his level of play. All signs point to a minimum salary return if the Packers are willing to offer and Kuhn chooses to play another year. He won't be going elsewhere as a result of better, only if there's no offer from the Packers.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

A two year deal for a bit more than the $2.45 mil annual average in his last deal is probably in order in consideration of the fact he's gone 3 consecutive years without stinking up the joint.

Or identify the best kicker in college football with some cold weather credibility, draft him as high as the end of the 6th. round pick if he's particularly prized, and pay him peanuts for the next 4 years. Or Thompson could go crazy with one of those 3rd. round comp picks and take Roberto Aguayo, the most highly touted college kicker in quite some time, if he lasts that long.

I would prefer Thompson to replace Crosby with a draft pick as well as Masthay with a rookie. That moves would even save some cap space and hopefully not result in a significant drop-off in FG percentage and less shanked punts.

The Packers will most likely get two fourth-round compensation picks for losing Williams and House, don't expect any of them to yield a third rounder.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer Thompson to replace Crosby with a draft pick as well as Masthay with a rookie. That moves would even save some cap space and hopefully not result in a significant drop-off in FG percentage and less shanked punts.

The Packers will most likely get two fourth-round compensation picks for losing Williams and House,
don't expect any of them to yield a third rounder.

If so that should yield two extra picks in the first 150 overall. Should be good ones.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tolzien provides no leverage for any team trying to sign anybody. His best case is going to some team with a QB mess tying find somebody serviceable out of a 3 or 4 man competition.
I obviously disagree, I didnt say it was strong leverage, but I'd rather be a GM negotiating a contract for a qb, when I have other similarly talented players at the same position already on the roster, than having none.

If I was Denver I would be bringing in 2-3 others too, for exactly that reason. I don't think Oswieler is the future, or at least not anything more than average, but as the only qb with any work in that system or NFL experience on the roster, he's looking to be paid an even more inflated salary than mediocre qbs already get. Or I guess manning could come back and really screw that team.