Who's on the shelves for 2016 NFL free agency.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barring a 'surprise' move in UFA, IMO it'll be business as usual for TT this off season. But I don't think it'll be about being cheap, refusing to change his ways, TT doesn't do free agency or any of the other usual suspects debated here. I think the main reason will be 2017. A good sized number of starters and key players- including most of the offensive line- will be up for free agency after next season. That'll weigh heavy- perhaps heavier than usual- on this offseason's decisions.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think it's interesting with the depth we have at CB right now that they view Hayward as our #1 priority.
IMO that piece is a bit shallow. The author may view Hayward as the best player they may lose. He also has Perry as a “re-sign” so he can “stick around for at least another year”, but if they re-sign him, he certainly wouldn’t be gone in a year. I was surprised he didn't mention Crosby one way or another.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I was surprised he didn't mention Crosby one way or another.

That surprised me as well. While I don't think Mason is a "critical resign", I prefer to have him back. A missed clutch kick here or there can cost you a game and Mason has been clutch as of late. Plus, we need him around to teach and practice with the new holder!

D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure if this fits here but I'll put it here anyways...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...ard-priority-no-1-for-packers-in-free-agency/

I think it's interesting with the depth we have at CB right now that they view Hayward as our #1 priority.

As I said in another thread I completely disagree that re-signing Hayward is a must for the Packers.

That surprised me as well. While I don't think Mason is a "critical resign", I prefer to have him back. A missed clutch kick here or there can cost you a game and Mason has been clutch as of late. Plus, we need him around to teach and practice with the new holder!

While Crosby has for sure rebounded nicely from his abysmal season in 2012 I would prefer Thompson to save cap space by going with a rookie kicker. IMO the same approach should be taken with the punter as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
IMO the same approach should be taken with the punter as well.
No argument on getting rid of Masthay. But just as Masthay has provided us with inconsistent punting in the past few years, I am not sure I would dump Crosby to save cap money (that we will probably have) and face a higher potential of suffering the same fate with a rookie kicker. It will all boil down to money with keeping Crosby and personally, I hope that they can work out an equitable agreement to keep him in GB.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is from Packers Notes, titled Move on from Mediocrity:
Letting experienced players leave in free agency isn’t easy for any general manager – especially for a draft and develop guy like Ted Thompson. But sometimes it’s simply the right thing to do. Holding onto mediocre veterans might create a feeling of comfort, but at the end of the day, it doesn’t make a team better. That brings me to linebacker Mike Neal, nose tackle B.J. Raji, running back James Starks and quarterback Scott Tolzien, All four players will become free agents in a few days. All four players should be elsewhere come training camp.
IMO a couple are pretty obvious: Raji and Tolzien. Starks is a closer call and regarding Neal he writes in the last two seasons he's lined up on 1,400 snaps on defense and has only 8.5 sacks.
http://packersnotes.com/2016/03/move-on-from-mediocrity/

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I really hope we keep Perry.
I think he does a decent job of clogging the edge on runs. Better than CM3. Matthews gets pushed out if you run at him. Perry takes a bit longer to get pushed out which slows the play for backside pursuit. THAT is what Matthews excels at in the run defense.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
FWIW Pro Football Focus has Neal (49.6 overall, 41.8 pass rush) graded way lower than Perry (73.2) for the 2015 season.
Because of his aptitude for the 4-3, don't you think Perry will be too expensive to keep? My guess is Neal will be cheaper and more likely retained.

D

Deleted member 6794

Because of his aptitude for the 4-3, don't you think Perry will be too expensive to keep? My guess is Neal will be cheaper and more likely retained.

I'm not convinced Perry will be too expensive to keep but expect him wanting to play for a 4-3 defense. I agree it's more likely the Packers will re-sign Neal.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts