Who's on the shelves for 2016 NFL free agency.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If you are trying to get TT's attention, wouldn't it be better to post this with a few names?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They like him mostly as a slot corner. I expect a team to overpay for him to play outside though.

I always remember back to James Jones' first foray into free agency. People thought he'd get a big contract, nobody bit, and the Packers got him back at a good deal. Maybe the injury history and lack of ability to play outside will get Hayward back to Green Bay.

Disclaimer: Please do not mistake my post as wanted to the Packers to "break the bank". No bank breaking is being advocated in this post.

D

Deleted member 6794

I always remember back to James Jones' first foray into free agency. People thought he'd get a big contract, nobody bit, and the Packers got him back at a good deal. Maybe the injury history and lack of ability to play outside will get Hayward back to Green Bay.

Jones´ situation happened during the lockout shortened offseason though which made a bit more difficult for him to get a deal somewhere else. I expect at least one other team to misjudge Hayward´s inability to play outside and offer him way more money than the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Packers youth and depth in the secondary will be the main reason Hayward won't be overpaid to stay a Packer. TT will say "thank you for your service in GB and we look forward to finding your replacement with our 2017 comp pick."

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Look at how far down the list of “ID” Raji is in the PFF list. It looks like they mix DTs and NTs in that category. Guion is rated 72.3 and Raji is 64.1. It'll be interesting to see what kind of an offer Raji gets.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at how far down the list of “ID” Raji is in the PFF list. It looks like they mix DTs and NTs in that category. Guion is rated 72.3 and Raji is 64.1. It'll be interesting to see what kind of an offer Raji gets.

Try to find Don Barclay :D

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raji is another interesting guy. Looked like a franchise player during his rookie contract, got injured repeatedly, played on two 1-year contracts, and had a fairly good season. Does somebody overpay him and hope for 2010 Raji or does he linger and get another 1 of 2 year deal?

Let the games begin!

D

Deleted member 6794

Raji is another interesting guy. Looked like a franchise player during his rookie contract, got injured repeatedly, played on two 1-year contracts, and had a fairly good season. Does somebody overpay him and hope for 2010 Raji or does he linger and get another 1 of 2 year deal?

After the Packers re-signed Guion last week the only way Raji will be back next season is on another short-term, moderate contract. He hasn´t garnered a lot of interest in free agency over the last two offseasons so I´m not sure it will be any different this year.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't the Ripkowski pick kind of signal the beginning of the end for John Kuhn?

Plus, since 90% of this forum are a salary cap experts, here are the 2015 cap hits for Kuhn and Rip:
  • Kuhn: $635,000.00
  • Rip: $461,599.00

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Didn't the Ripkowski pick kind of signal the beginning of the end for John Kuhn?

Plus, since 90% of this forum are a salary cap experts, here are the 2015 cap hits for Kuhn and Rip:
I don't think its a matter of $$ more then a matter of what you are getting. If those numbers end up being similar for 2016, the $173,401 extra you pay Kuhn to be a fan favorite, dependable, durable, knowledgeable is well worth it. Obviously, if there isn't room for 2 FB's on the final 53....Kuhn might be gone.

D

Deleted member 6794

If the Packers sign Kuhn to a veteran minimum deal he would earn $985,000 next season but because of the cap benefit rule would only count $600,000 against the cap. With Ripkowski having a cap hit of $551,599 for 2016 I agree with Pokerbrat that money won't be a factor in the Packers decision to bring back Kuhn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Kuhn will be 34 when the season starts, so no doubt he doesn't have a lot of years ahead of him and Ripkowski appears to be the heir apparent, but as long as Kuhn can keep contributing in the ways that he does, the Packers may keep carrying 2 FB's on the roster. BTW, John Riggins had the best year of his career at the age of 34 (1347 yards and 24 TD's) and he had a lot more miles on his tires.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
between the 2 I don't even see money as an issue. 400K for a good special teams players is worth it, especially when he's not taking the place of some other more valuable player with more skill. and Until Rip can beat out Kuhn, I say keep them both. Unless Rip just can't hack it and some linebacker is better on special teams, then keep the linebacker. We're basically talking about special teams positions right now as the greatest contribution and with Kuhn as a vet signing for the vet minimum, isn't a portion of that only what counts against the cap?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts