1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Who is the best draft pick in Packers history?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Apr 13, 2011.

1. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,024
    IMO Starr is the best draft choice in Packers history. Hard to imagine a better value – a 17th rounder who led the team to 5 championships as the “substitute on the field” for the best HC in NFL history. BTW, because there were fewer teams when Starr was drafted, he would be the equivalent of a late 6th round pick today. As PackerRS mentions, Starr was the #199 pick in the 1956 draft. Do you know which other QB was picked with the 199th pick? Tom Brady. Not that I care about them, but my advice to the Chiefs in the upcoming draft would be to take a flyer on a QB with their pick #199 – a comp pick, just like Brady. Hey maybe the Packers should do so with pick #197 and hope its “close enough” to the magic number.

Greatest RB I ever saw was Jim Brown. He was just phenomenal – averaged over 5 yards/carry in his career. Sayers, although his career was shortened by injury was also amazing (in spite of the jersey he wore). For me, Sanders lines up in a small group after those two. Yes, he danced a lot because he usually had a crappy OL in front of him and teams he played knew if they stopped him, they’d win the game. Imagine him on an average team with an average OL. Or on a team with a balanced attack…

While it’s difficult comparing athletes from different eras, IMO Don Hutson is not only the greatest WR in Packers’ history, but in NFL history. Yes, even better than Rice. He was the first “modern” WR and was decades ahead of his time. I loved the toughness Sharpe displayed and of course he was very productive but even if he would have had a long career, I don’t think he would have eclipsed Hutson (who was acquired before the draft was instituted, BTW).

2. Future

Future He did WHAT?

Ratings:
    +87

Wow, didn't know he was drafted that late. That definitely has to be the greatest pick in history.

3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,078
    wait... you mean better than hutson?

4. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,078
    I thought Pancake block was an Orlando Pace thing?

5. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    As with Sanders, Sterling was by far the best Wr I've seen. Better than Rice.

6. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,078
    care to rank the 3?

7. Helmets

Helmets Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +219
    Sanders actually had a pretty decent line during his career - including two Pro Bowlers in Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover.

8. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,219
    Sign me up as another vote for Starr. Everybody had good points, but Starr provided some excellent "intangibles" for the team as well. He and Lombardi got inside each other's heads and knew what the other wanted most of the time. They made a great player/coach combo. Let's not forget Lombardi gave Starr pretty much free reign on the field with play calling. How a guy can get overlooked by so many teams and be so good is a mystery to me.

9. bubbahotep

bubbahotep Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +54
    I think Bart Starr is the best pick, but what about the best draft? I'll go with 1958. Nitschke, Taylor, Kramer, but 2009 could top that with Matthews and Raji, Jones is coming along nicely, and hopefully T.J. Lang becomes a regular starter.

10. Matty Flynn

Matty Flynn Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +42
    I believe Matt Flynn was the greatest Draft Pick the Packers ever had. If we didn't have him, we would've beat the Patriots and Lions.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    Sterling
    Sanders
    Rice

But it's probably due to huge hommerism. If Sterling hadn't played for the Packers, I'd probably rank him last, but by virtue of being a Packer player, I saw him completely dominate so many times that it influenced the way I look at them.

I didn't see Rice and Sanders every week. I saw Sanders more, and he was the most exciting player I've seen, but I've also seen him being shut down.

12. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +110
    What about Mason Crosby?

• Like Like x 1
  13. ilovemypackers

ilovemypackers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +125
    Did anyone say Aaron Rodgers yet? lol

14. BrettPacker

BrettPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    sorry but....Favre

15. Big E

Big E Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +106
    Favre wasn't a Packers draft pick

16. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,410
    hahaha i mean he would be a contender had we drafted him.
    rodgers and matthews and bj raji are the best recent picks we have made