Who is the best draft pick in Packers history?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO Starr is the best draft choice in Packers history. Hard to imagine a better value – a 17th rounder who led the team to 5 championships as the “substitute on the field” for the best HC in NFL history. BTW, because there were fewer teams when Starr was drafted, he would be the equivalent of a late 6th round pick today. As PackerRS mentions, Starr was the #199 pick in the 1956 draft. Do you know which other QB was picked with the 199th pick? Tom Brady. Not that I care about them, but my advice to the Chiefs in the upcoming draft would be to take a flyer on a QB with their pick #199 – a comp pick, just like Brady. Hey maybe the Packers should do so with pick #197 and hope its “close enough” to the magic number.

Greatest RB I ever saw was Jim Brown. He was just phenomenal – averaged over 5 yards/carry in his career. Sayers, although his career was shortened by injury was also amazing (in spite of the jersey he wore). For me, Sanders lines up in a small group after those two. Yes, he danced a lot because he usually had a crappy OL in front of him and teams he played knew if they stopped him, they’d win the game. Imagine him on an average team with an average OL. Or on a team with a balanced attack…

While it’s difficult comparing athletes from different eras, IMO Don Hutson is not only the greatest WR in Packers’ history, but in NFL history. Yes, even better than Rice. He was the first “modern” WR and was decades ahead of his time. I loved the toughness Sharpe displayed and of course he was very productive but even if he would have had a long career, I don’t think he would have eclipsed Hutson (who was acquired before the draft was instituted, BTW).

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Yeah, to me too it's Starr.

The guy was a 12417356134th round pick, for crying out loud, and is the best QB ever!
(17th round pick, 199th overall)

Wow, didn't know he was drafted that late. That definitely has to be the greatest pick in history.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is one way to look at it. I think that was a dumb pick. The Packers dumbest pick, was QB Rich Campbell. I will always remember Zeke Bratkowski's comments. He said "I was so excited when we picked him. When he arrived and threw his first pass, my hear sunk. I knew, with that throwing motion, he would never be successful in the NFL."

Now, when the OC thinks you are going to fail, what chance do you have? Also, why didn't he pay attention to his throwing motion when they scouted him? I mean, what the hell? I'm sure Campbell didn't change his throwing style as soon as he joined the Packers.

As far as Mandrich goes, you have to have been there to understand. There have been 3 uber hyped players in the last 40 years. Elway, Bo Jackson and Mandrich. He was supposed to change the NFL. He is the only college player to make the 'All Madden Team'. They invented the term 'Pancake Block' because of him (at least 1 version of the story). ESPN would run highlights of him after every game - isolating an OL on every play! They showed every devestating block. He would on occassion take out 3 or 4 defenders on a single play. When he was drafted the announcer said he was a shoe-in for Canton. He stopped with the steroids, started drinking heavily, and he wasn't good enough to even start for a very pathetic Packer team. Although he played, he was dominated by even a below average DL.

To me, bust is defined as the degree by which you fail to live up to expectations. The distance by which Mandrich missed his expectations is greater than any player in history. In my opinion, that makes him the biggest bust in NFL history.

I thought Pancake block was an Orlando Pace thing?

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sanders actually had a pretty decent line during his career - including two Pro Bowlers in Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Sign me up as another vote for Starr. Everybody had good points, but Starr provided some excellent "intangibles" for the team as well. He and Lombardi got inside each other's heads and knew what the other wanted most of the time. They made a great player/coach combo. Let's not forget Lombardi gave Starr pretty much free reign on the field with play calling. How a guy can get overlooked by so many teams and be so good is a mystery to me.

bubbahotep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bart Starr is the best pick, but what about the best draft? I'll go with 1958. Nitschke, Taylor, Kramer, but 2009 could top that with Matthews and Raji, Jones is coming along nicely, and hopefully T.J. Lang becomes a regular starter.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
care to rank the 3?
Sterling
Sanders
Rice

But it's probably due to huge hommerism. If Sterling hadn't played for the Packers, I'd probably rank him last, but by virtue of being a Packer player, I saw him completely dominate so many times that it influenced the way I look at them.

I didn't see Rice and Sanders every week. I saw Sanders more, and he was the most exciting player I've seen, but I've also seen him being shut down.

Members online

Latest posts