Whitney Mercilus

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers signing Mercilus indicates Z is done for the season but strongly suggests the team was in need of an upgrade at the position now.

The Packers most likely won't have the cap space available to tag Adams.

Maybe I’m off in this, but if it’s in the off-season isn’t that a non-issue?

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe I’m off in this, but if it’s in the off-season isn’t that a non-issue?

The deadline to franchise tag players will end on March 8, 2022. While the Packers could be over the cap at that point they will need to be under it by the start of the new league year on March 16, 2022.

Therefore them having only a window of eight days to work out a trade for Adams would most likely reduce the compensation offered another team, especially as they know the Packers would run into serious issues with the cap.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reallisticly a new team prob only does a short contract. Would Adams follow just for that? He would be in same spot as he is now.
I think assuming Rodgers leaves… Adams will go where the money is. Even a shorter contract while somewhat risky can be extremely lucrative…. with the chance to sign another i a year or two.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The deadline to franchise tag players will end on March 8, 2022. While the Packers could be over the cap at that point they will need to be under it by the start of the new league year on March 16, 2022.

Therefore them having only a window of eight days to work out a trade for Adams would most likely reduce the compensation offered another team, especially as they know the Packers would run into serious issues with the cap.

Well I would assume the trade would be worked out in principle long before. I can’t imagine they’d tag him with no prospects and then try to figure it out in the fly.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well I would assume the trade would be worked out in principle long before. I can’t imagine they’d tag him with no prospects and then try to figure it out in the fly.

While that might be true it doesn't change anything about other teams being well aware the Packers wouldn't be able to afford Adams past March 16.

That would definitely reduce the compensation in my opinion.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that might be true it doesn't change anything about other teams being well aware the Packers wouldn't be able to afford Adams past March 16.

We only tag him if trade deal has been set with someone before no doubt. That team would win not having to compete with anyone

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Anything better than a 2023 3rd round pick would be a win.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

And that may very well be true.

Reaction score
I don't think the Packers signing Mercilus indicates Z is done for the season but strongly suggests the team was in need of an upgrade at the position now.
Let’s pray you are right and we get both in action by playoffs. If there is any possibility of getting Z back anywhere close to potential? This Defense suddenly gets much more interesting

D

Deleted member 6794

We only tag him if trade deal has been set with someone before no doubt. That team would win not having to compete with anyone

Anything better than a 2023 3rd round pick would be a win.

I could very well be wrong about it but I don't believe another team would give up that much knowing the cap situation the Packers would find themselves in by tagging Adams.

While another team acquiring him would be guaranteed his service for one season (if he signs the tag) they would still have to work out a long-term deal with him.

It's true even that could be taken care of before the Packers tag him but it makes it even more complicated.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Mercilus announced his retirement yesterday. Only 31 years old, but with how big contracts are these days, I think we will see more and more guys retiring younger.

No real impact on the Packers (except the potential for a comp pick), but I think had he wanted to keep playing, an outside chance the Packer resign him cheap, for insurance.

Reaction score
Mercilus announced his retirement yesterday. Only 31 years old, but with how big contracts are these days, I think we will see more and more guys retiring younger.

No real impact on the Packers (except the potential for a comp pick), but I think had he wanted to keep playing, an outside chance the Packer resign him cheap, for insurance.
I’m thinking he wasn’t getting any offers worth putting his body through more punishment. I don’t blame him he’s had a fine career and near vet minimum is not worth it.

Congrats to Mercilus, thank you for being open to Green Bay and enjoy yourself. You’ve earned it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first few games with The Pack I liked him a lot. And then I think he got banged up and could not play 100%. And then was just out.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Can you elaborate on the comp pick possibility?

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m thinking he wasn’t getting any offers worth putting his body through more punishment. I don’t blame him he’s had a fine career and near vet minimum is not worth it.

Congrats to Mercilus, thank you for being open to Green Bay and enjoy yourself. You’ve earned it.

Career earnings of $53.6M within 10 seasons.

58 career sacks and a 2nd team All-Pro.

Retirement at 31.

Life is good.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers might have received a compensatory pick for losing Mercilus if he signed with another team, received enough money and played a sufficient amount of snaps next season.
So the point was that we COULD have potentially gotten a comp pick but won't now? The way it was worded, it sounded like the was a potential comp pick in this scenario - hence, my question. Thanks.

Members online

Latest posts