Which one of these players are you most excited about?

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am excited about Hubbard myself. He has a crazy frame and the scouts liked this kid but his heart condition scared some folks off and I think be could end up being a steal for us. He is raw but his athleticism is ideal and more times than not kids that played in the Saban system do fairly well in the pros. He was projected to go in the 3-4 round range and the fact that we got him as a UDFA excites me. Nothing to lose with this kid if he doesn't pan out but if he can keep his head in check and grind like a pro I think his skill-set can translate into some good on-field production for us. Secondly, I thought ILB Joe Thomas was starting to show something before he got injured and I think he also has a chance to surprise some folks. This next few months are where titles are won and I feel confident TT will assemble another good group of players for Coach Mike and the boys to work with. G P G!!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I expect the biggest jumps in level of play to come from Thomas and Janis. I would love to see Goodson and Bradford to surprise us though.

D

Deleted member 6794

LOL I didn't pay much attention to him last year. I thought he went out injured. Didn't realize he just flat out didn't make the team.

Well, the Packers waived him injured after training camp but brought him back to the practice squad in November.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I am excited about Hubbard myself. He has a crazy frame and the scouts liked this kid but his heart condition scared some folks off and I think be could end up being a steal for us. He is raw but his athleticism is ideal and more times than not kids that played in the Saban system do fairly well in the pros. He was projected to go in the 3-4 round range and the fact that we got him as a UDFA excites me. Nothing to lose with this kid if he doesn't pan out but if he can keep his head in check and grind like a pro I think his skill-set can translate into some good on-field production for us. Secondly, I thought ILB Joe Thomas was starting to show something before he got injured and I think he also has a chance to surprise some folks. This next few months are where titles are won and I feel confident TT will assemble another good group of players for Coach Mike and the boys to work with. G P G!!
Agreed. Nick Saban hasn't let us down yet!

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abberderis has been mentioned quite a bit... serious question here how much of that is because he went to Wisconsin and how much because he may actually contribute?
I live in the balmy, warm, and tropical Buffalo Bills area of the country not, that awful tundra! :)

Of course, there are always exceptions but, I get more excited about the college players that have quality, productive careers at quality, productive college programs than I do the players with the great skill numbers. I get nervous about the guys that shoot WAY up the board based on combine or pro day numbers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Wish we could have hung on to Jumal Rolle....think he has a lot of potential and trying to stash him on the PS failed :(

But out of the existing group......Hubbard and Abbrederis excite me the most. Hubbard has a great shot at making a wide open position of need and Abbrederis has the ability to be the #4 or #5 as well as return kicks.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I'd have to say Thornton based on his draft position and the injury thing. TT obviously saw something in him and he never got a chance to show it. I'd say once you get below the third round expectations are kind of hit or miss but I still think third rounders can be expected to become more than just bit players. Obviously many don't and many drafted later become studs but I think some very talented players can fall into the third round.

It's kind of hard for me to get too excited about Janis after him not being able to get on the field at all (At least I don't think he was ever active) but with Aaron Rodgers you can't help but get a little excited about a pass catcher. Maybe I'd hold out a little more hope for him of JA as a return man.

D

Deleted member 6794

I guess I'd have to say Thornton based on his draft position and the injury thing. TT obviously saw something in him and he never got a chance to show it. I'd say once you get below the third round expectations are kind of hit or miss but I still think third rounders can be expected to become more than just bit players. Obviously many don't and many drafted later become studs but I think some very talented players can fall into the third round.

It's kind of hard for me to get too excited about Janis after him not being able to get on the field at all (At least I don't think he was ever active) but with Aaron Rodgers you can't help but get a little excited about a pass catcher. Maybe I'd hold out a little more hope for him of JA as a return man.

Thornton got a chance to showwhat he's capable of during OTAs, nearly all of training camp and preseason games and was absolutely terrible. The injury probably saved him from being cut.

Janis was active for three games and had two catches for 16 yards in the blowout win vs. the Vikings, both balls thrown by Flynn.

Sky King

Reaction score
Janis, maybe, because of his superior speed plus size. All the rest will face a daunting challenge with even more competition about to be added to the mix. But somebody could emerge, even the (so far) underwhelming Thornton pick.

Abbrederis perhaps starts out on PUP, needing added time to develop. He may get his "cheese points" from some fans, but TT would never have drafted him with such bias. That also puts a healthy Abbrederis in the discussion sooner or later.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis, maybe, because of his superior speed plus size. All the rest will face a daunting challenge with even more competition about to be added to the mix. But somebody could emerge, even the (so far) underwhelming Thornton pick.

Abbrederis perhaps starts out on PUP, needing added time to develop. He may get his "cheese points" from some fans, but TT would never have drafted him with such bias. That also puts a healthy Abbrederis in the discussion sooner or later.

Abbrederis tore his ACL in August. He should be good to go before the regular season starts barring any complications or set backs.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprised there isn't more excitement over Bradford at ILB. For the positron that most cite as the biggest weakness on the roster, Bradford could prove to be a solution there.

Abbrederis would excite me more if he wasn't so injury prone. I just don't think he'll ever be a guy you can rely on to be there for most games.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thornton could potential HAVE to be the most exciting...if Raji leaves to another team in FA and Guion legal issues hold TT from signing him....enter Thornton needed in a big way.

D

Deleted member 6794

Surprised there isn't more excitement over Bradford at ILB. For the positron that most cite as the biggest weakness on the roster, Bradford could prove to be a solution there.

Abbrederis would excite me more if he wasn't so injury prone. I just don't think he'll ever be a guy you can rely on to be there for most games.

Bradford was terrible during training camp. While the Packers didn´t decide to put him inside after camp it´s uncertain if he will be able to be an impact player there.

Thornton could potential HAVE to be the most exciting...if Raji leaves to another team in FA and Guion legal issues hold TT from signing him....enter Thornton needed in a big way.

Thornton isn´t a NT. The Packers will have to address this position in the offseason.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thornton got a chance to showwhat he's capable of during OTAs, nearly all of training camp and preseason games and was absolutely terrible. The injury probably saved him from being cut.

Janis was active for three games and had two catches for 16 yards in the blowout win vs. the Vikings, both balls thrown by Flynn.

Thanks for the input. I didn't get to see many games so I was not aware that Janis had been active at all. I guess that means I don't hold out much hope for anyone else from last years years draft to be more than a bit player then. I'll be hoping someone steps up but I won't be expecting much.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bradford was terrible during training camp. While the Packers didn´t decide to put him inside after camp it´s uncertain if he will be able to be an impact player there.

There is a HUGE difference between ILB and OLB and pretty much everyone outside the coaching staff thought Bradford would be an ILB in the NFL. I don't see any reason why he can't improve. He certainly didn't do much worse than Thornton and Bradford is moving to a far more natural position at ILB.

D

Deleted member 6794

There is a HUGE difference between ILB and OLB and pretty much everyone outside the coaching staff thought Bradford would be an ILB in the NFL. I don't see any reason why he can't improve. He certainly didn't do much worse than Thornton and Bradford is moving to a far more natural position at ILB.

While Bradford´s body type is better suited to play inside in the NFL I´m convinced it´s not a natural position for him as he has never played there at any level (as far as I know). It´s possible he will turn into a decent ILB but I wouldn´t rely on it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Bradford´s body type is better suited to play inside in the NFL I´m convinced it´s not a natural position for him as he has never played there at any level (as far as I know). It´s possible he will turn into a decent ILB but I wouldn´t rely on it.

Yup my feelings as well....he's got the motor and the ball skills to be at minimum a fill in Jarrett Bush type guy for years on a team...I'd much rather have a stud Special Teamer as a back up LB over a DB personally, I hope he grows into something for us, but if not he will have been a low cost.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
As far as anyone stepping up to the plate this year, I am most impressed with two guys. Corey Linsley and Sam Barrington, without a doubt.

Sky King

Reaction score
As far as anyone stepping up to the plate this year, I am most impressed with two guys. Corey Linsley and Sam Barrington, without a doubt.
I'm with you regarding Linsley. Barrington not as much. He gave average play for an ILB, but that's okay. It was quite an improvement compared to the below average play of Hawk, Jones, and Lattimore.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts