Which is a bigger need?

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just looking over some mock draft sites and many of them have us taking a RB in the first round like Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch. Others had us taking a WR like Ted Ginn, Dwayne Jarett or Jeff Samardzija. Others had us taking a safety like Laron Laundry.

Some my question to you guys is what area do we need to sure up the most?

In my opinion, we have to take a guy like Laundry. He will bring playmaking skills to our secondary and form a good tandem with Collins. Not to mention, Manuel would be on the bench or off the team?

What say you?

stlpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
id say we probably need a safety or someother defensive player over a running back or wide out...what about us drafting a quaterback? all im saying is i wouldnt be complaining

subin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely a safety, or a really good WR if one is available. I really think Ahman Green has done a really good job this year, with the little blocking he's had, and TT should definitely make an effort to bring him back. Plus, with the zone blocking scheme, running backs are supposed to be drafted in later rounds and still be able to produce.
A well-rounded safety like Landry would be a good choice, and as far as WR, Calvin Johnson and Jarett are the only two that look like they'd be worthy of a top 10 pick.
I also think Samardzjia would be great, but not where the Packers will be picking, if Ted traded down, or he was available in round 2, I think he'd be a solid pick

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ive heard landry struggles in coverage. id rather have a FA. mike minter would be good.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A TE had better be on our wish list cause the ones we have are not very good. And the WCO requires a good TE to function.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of taking a rookie safety. Rookies don't come in and generate early solutions. Plus it wouldn't benefit Collins either. Although Landry might be the exception and Reggie Nelson is a great athlete who could probably play all 3 Defensive Back positions. Not as high on him as Landry though.

I think a WR like Jarrett or Johnson would be great. I really don't like Ted Ginn Jr. He's still really raw and I think he has bust written all over him. His hands are suspect and he's an inconsistent player. Reminds me a bit of Desmond Howard.

AP would be great pick. He's a bruiser. Lynch would be a guy I'd like to trade down for.

Gaines Adams of Clemson really had a great year. He was a top 5 pick before the year started and only continues to improve his stock. I wasn't a believer of him before but over the course of the year he's grown on me.

rundemc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
someone like branch from michigan would be a good move it seems one side of the d-line is set with picket and kampman but teams will keep running at the other side behind left tackle and left guard right at kgb and whoever happens to be in at the other d tackle spot. cornerback wouldnt be a bad direction either with harris getting older and dendy not getting any better, leon hall maybe. oops im starting to sound like a michigan fan dont want to be mistaken for one of them

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
someone like branch from michigan would be a good move it seems one side of the d-line is set with picket and kampman but teams will keep running at the other side behind left tackle and left guard right at kgb and whoever happens to be in at the other d tackle spot. cornerback wouldnt be a bad direction either with harris getting older and dendy not getting any better, leon hall maybe. oops im starting to sound like a michigan fan dont want to be mistaken for one of them

Yeah I really like Alan Branch as well. I think he's better than Haloti Ngata from a year ago. He has all the tools to be a really good run stopper. He could probably play NT in the 3-4.

I'd like to see KGB released. He's gave us a lot of solid years and he's a good guy but he just doesn't have it no more. I'd like to see them cut him and offer him less money as a 3rd down pass rusher. So DE would be a huge need then and someone like Adams would be nice or Justin Smith from the Bengals. He's a free agent and will come much cheaper than Freeney. Reminds me of Kampman a bit. Then make sure Corey Williams stays. He's a good spot duty guy. Add a presence next to Pickett. A DT. Branch would be an ideal candidate. So there are a lot of possibilities. I just hope our front office gets the job done.

The fun part to all this. We have the cap to make this happen. I don't want Ted Thompson to pull a Mike Sherman and spend it all in one off season but I'd like to see him bring in 2 marquee names and add a big name through the Draft.

rundemc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe add a te through FA like daniel graham from NE u can probably get another decent year out of green assuming the oline plays better. i guess if u feel peterson is an elite talent like an LT or LJ u have take him but otherwise dline dbacks or a playmaker at receiver would be the way i go
i just dont know if im sold on adrian peterson but i havent seen him play to much lately i know he was hurt but i didnt really get to see him while he was healthy this year either

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe add a te through FA like daniel graham from NE u can probably get another decent year out of green assuming the oline plays better. i guess if u feel peterson is an elite talent like an LT or LJ u have take him but otherwise dline dbacks or a playmaker at receiver would be the way i go
i just dont know if im sold on adrian peterson but i havent seen him play to much lately i know he was hurt but i didnt really get to see him while he was healthy this year either

I'm sold on him. Forget the prone to injury stuff too. He hurts himself. He runs that hard. Every time I see him play he never stops going and it's like he has a motor on him. I think he's for a real and a "Can't miss guy" If he's there then take him. Same with Calvin Johnson. Problem is I don't think either or will be there. Possible maybe but doubtful we out stink the Texans, Raiders, Lions, and Cardinals. Our schedule is decent enough to get one more win and that might be enough to put us behind those teams.

Of course that's just speculation.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Typically a RB will have a more immediate impact than any of the other positions noted and it is definately a need whether Green is back or not. WR is also needed, but one cannot count on any WR having the impact that Colston or Jennings is having in their rookie year. I personally would stay away from Safety at the top of the 1st round as the talent at this position does not dictate a high #1.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need help on both sides of the ball ... so id go with a WR first round ... our RB is still good for a good 2 ... 3 years ... the only reason our running game is been struggling is cause of our o line buts its starting to get better ... then in the 2nd draft a safety and in the 3rd draft a corner ... and after that concentrate a bit on special teams players ... have in a top WR rookie and hopefully robinson back would be a good WR corp for next year ;) imagine Driver Jennings Calvin Johnson or another rookie (which is probably impossible) Robinson WOW :thumbsup:

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A wide receiver that can get seperation.
Watching other teams play I see receivers getting open big time.
Our receivers are covered like with a blanket and Favre has to try to thread the needle.
Other than that a GM who knows what he is doing.

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO we need a LB that can cover the middle in pass coverage.

With the Swiss Cheese defense we currently have, the short middle is ALWAYS open.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
perhaps we could gte Polushny from Penn State in the 2nd round, he could be good for us.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LB is the last of the Packers needs. There isn't going to be any rookie LB who will come in and be an upgrade over what we have currently.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just looking over some mock draft sites and many of them have us taking a RB in the first round like Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch. Others had us taking a WR like Ted Ginn, Dwayne Jarett or Jeff Samardzija. Others had us taking a safety like Laron Laundry.

Drafting a running back first round is not the answer, there are always quality backs available into the fourth round, the reasoning behind that is--Ahman Green is worthy of a new contract and we can draft one or two backs to settle in behind him

Our defense looked pathetic, our biggest need are two positions--safety and defensive line...our safeties are terrible, but I think a free agent (better than marquand manuel) is in order, somebody who can cover...that leaves DT...Ryan Pickett is legitimate in penetration and run, but he is not the force he can be because he can not stop the run himself...whoever has been next to him, Corey Williams, Cullen Jenkins, etc...have been adequate, but we need some mass up front and I think a strong possibility is Michigan DT Alan Branch, the only DT who would be regarded as a top ten pick, he honestly looks like a Richard Seymour type, someone who can be immovable against the run and can also get in the QB's face...If we're in position to get Calvin Johnson--MAYBE we draft offense but i don't see the need to pin our hopes on an oft-injured running back, Adrian Peterson

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO we need a safety. A good young one. One like Hawk or Barnett. Just at the safety position. Also a new DB coach ;)

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LB is the last of the Packers needs. There isn't going to be any rookie LB who will come in and be an upgrade over what we have currently.

Strictly not true. A Hawk type drafted next year would be an upgrade over Poppinga. That said, I do agree that LB isnt the most critical need.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

Strictly not true. A Hawk type drafted next year would be an upgrade over Poppinga. That said, I do agree that LB isnt the most critical need.

There isn't going to be an AJ Hawk type player in the Draft especially in the 2nd round.

If there is though they play WLB or MLB. Same as Hawk or Barnett. Rarely do Strong side backers get the flashy stats. That's why Barnett was against moving there especially approaching a contract year. Really unless you a play a 3-4 you don't see many SLB go very high and majority of your 3-4 SLB would be DE's in the 4-3.

Members online

Latest posts