Which HC Has The Biggest Scorching Hot Seat Besides Hue Jackson Of 2018?

Which HC Gets Booted Out Of Town First?

• Total voters

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I'm leaving Jackson out of this because Lord knows what kind of silly voodoo is cooking up in Cleveland right now. If 0-16 for the first time in the history of any sport I know doesn't get you fired .... I don't know what will. Either way, just can't assume anything about that guy right now.

I gotta think right now the first coach who is a ticking time bomb is Gruden. He's done a horrendous job over in Washington possibly running the biggest underachieving team I have ever seen. I am betting right now Dan Snyder is wishing he would've dumped him and promoted McVay when he had the chance. Right now Gruden's only hope is that Alex Smith will be a lifesaver but ... That's a pretty far-fetched hope considering Smith will not have Kelce to throw to nor the infrastructure around him that he had in KC.

I gotta think pretty close second is Garrett. Only two winning seasons in his 7 1/2 year career there in D-Town will start wearing thin on Jerry even he does suck up to the old man. Losing Witten and Bryant I don't think will buy him any excuses. Another season of 500 or worse and finishing behind Philly and NY, and I think he gets kicked out of there.

And ... A couple years ago I wouldn't even have considered putting him on this list, but I think another failed playoff appearance for Harbaugh in Baltimore and he'll be packing his bags. I think this will be the case for two reasons:

1. The home loss to an awful Bungles team that he allowed to happen and cause the team to miss the playoffs is going to be remembered a long time in Baltimore.

2. GM Ozzie Newsome is going to be retiring after this season and this next GM if he's not happy with the results on the field will probably get a carte blanche to do whatever he wants with Harbaugh. Harbaugh certainly had better be aware the draft of Lamar Jackson could be signalling a new era, and if he wants to be a part of it, he cannot afford missing the playoffs a 4th year in a row making it now 5 of the last 6 years he's missed them.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joseph has a scorching hot seat. That was one of the poorest examples of coaching that I've seen.

Gruden, Lewis, and Koetter could easily be gone if they don't hit 9 wins.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joseph has a scorching hot seat. That was one of the poorest examples of coaching that I've seen.

Gruden, Lewis, and Koetter could easily be gone if they don't hit 9 wins.

I think with Joseph and O'Brien (especially the latter) they definitely got tools put their shed now that they're going to be told they'd better do something with or else ...

Out of the other three, I think Gruden's the only sure lock to be gone because he's proven he can only hit 9 wins if every other team in that division is either beatup with injuries, or a mess roster-wise. And even then he has still done poorly.

Lewis I've ragged on for years, but he seems to have nude photos of the team's owner because he should have been fired years ago. Seems to me all anyone in Cincy can hope for is that he walks away now.

Koetter ... Yeah possibly if Winston has another bad year and they don't take advantage of what should be a more open NFC South. Hard to say though.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I'm leaving Jackson out of this because Lord knows what kind of silly voodoo is cooking up in Cleveland right now. If 0-16 for the first time in the history of any sport I know doesn't get you fired .... I don't know what will.

It's not the first time a team has gone 0-16.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not the first time a team has gone 0-16.

I realized I typed it a little funny. I was saying it's the first I know of that it happened without someone getting fired for it since Rod Marinelli was fired for doing that in Detroit.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Surprised that with the way some talk here, Mike McCarthy isn't on that list or at least a write in. :coffee:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Joseph and Gruden top the list for me.

If Marvin Lewis hasn't been fired yet, I'm just not sure what the hell it's going to take.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why isn't McCarthy an option here? I absolutely think he's gone if they lose in the Wild Card or even Division game.

Not sure I agree with that. If the Packers fail to make the playoffs or If the Packers make the playoffs as a wild card and lose in the wild card round McCarthy stands a good chance of being fired. If the Packers win the division and lose in later in the playoffs that's a different story. If the Packers underperform this year and it's clear that part of it was bad coaching, then I think that Stubby will be shown the door.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said Dirk Koetter. Watching Hard Knocks last year he seemed like a schmuck. I didn't say Jason Garrett and Marvin Lewis because I think they have had 10 more unknown opportunities than any other coaches in the league. John Harbaugh is in this group now imo. The Ravens are now looked in a way no team wants to be looked at, boring. I could see Jay Gruden's seat hot only because Daniel Snyder is his boss.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt the Packers fire McCarthy if the team makes the playoffs in 2018.
One thing that people don't take into account is that we have a new GM, and there is a level of uncertainty that we have not had in a while. I'm not saying that all other GMs would have fired McCarthy, but they surely would have forced his hand to fire Capers long before now. And who knows, he may have this win-now mentality that we all have hoped for. He cut Jordy, I'm not sure he's going to be as loyal if he sees the success of the team solely as a product of Rodgers.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that people don't take into account is that we have a new GM, and there is a level of uncertainty that we have not had in a while. I'm not saying that all other GMs would have fired McCarthy, but they surely would have forced his hand to fire Capers long before now. And who knows, he may have this win-now mentality that we all have hoped for. He cut Jordy, I'm not sure he's going to be as loyal if he sees the success of the team solely as a product of Rodgers.
did you miss the organizational structure change? Gute and McCarthy have an equal standing..... both of them report directly to Murphy.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
did you miss the organizational structure change? Gute and McCarthy have an equal standing..... both of them report directly to Murphy.
Firing a HC is something that always goes through an owner or president, no matter the structure. If Gute decides that talent isn't being properly utilized-and he's got a decent argument thus far with years of terrible defensive coaching and an awful looking offensive group last year- then he can always wear Murphy down. That's exactly what the GM in Tennessee did.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Firing a HC is something that always goes through an owner or president, no matter the structure. If Gute decides that talent isn't being properly utilized-and he's got a decent argument thus far with years of terrible defensive coaching and an awful looking offensive group last year- then he can always wear Murphy down. That's exactly what the GM in Tennessee did.
And I suppose McCarthy could do the same about Gute.... however this is getting silly.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I suppose McCarthy could do the same about Gute.... however this is getting silly.
A GM convincing the president that a HC should be fired is silly? It literally happens multiple times every year. I understand the pecking order is different, but those types of decisions have to get signed off by everyone at the top no matter what. McCarthy loses any right to complain after squandering the talent of 2 All Pros in our biggest area of need, and looking utterly helpless without Rodgers.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's coach Vance Joseph..... You watch him now on the screen!

Having the time of his LIFE!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why isn't McCarthy an option here? I absolutely think he's gone if they lose in the Wild Card or even Division game.

I don't want to speak for PFIC but I think he is suggesting that one or more of these coaches won't make it through the regular season. While MM may be cut after the season if the Packers fail to reach the playoffs I doubt he would be gone before that barring an 0-8 or 0-10 start or something like that and I doubt that will happen. The thread title would suggest MM might be a candidate for inclusion because he may indeed be on the hotseat but the poll title seems to indicate a bit more urgency to me.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems some have forgotten how successful I am. I am a very highly successful nfl coach. My pad level integrity is second to none. Hot seat my ***, now go make me sandwich.

Latest posts