Where do we find help?

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey fellow Packer fans,

I can easily see we need help in two spots on Offense. We need help at running back which from what I can tell, we can probably get at least a serviceable back no matter where we draft in round 1. The question and concern I have is I KNOW we need a TE. Usually I look at Notre Dame or Michigan for a great TE. I think Jake Butt will be gone by the time we draft either in Round 1 or Round 2. Notre Dame's TE camp has run dry since Tyler Eifert got drafted, so where do we get our new Jermichael Finley? Initially I thought OJ Howard out of Alabama might be the guy cause he IS 6'6 250 like Finley, but I look at him, and he doesn't play as fast. Also after the Eddie Lacey debauchle of 2015 and 2016 I wonder if the decision makers may shy away from Alabama players. Where do we get the down the field threat at TE that we need? And for those asking, I was never sold on Cook, and I don't think he moves the needle when he returns from injury, and is gone after this season anyway.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hey fellow Packer fans,

I can easily see we need help in two spots on Offense. We need help at running back which from what I can tell, we can probably get at least a serviceable back no matter where we draft in round 1. The question and concern I have is I KNOW we need a TE. Usually I look at Notre Dame or Michigan for a great TE. I think Jake Butt will be gone by the time we draft either in Round 1 or Round 2. Notre Dame's TE camp has run dry since Tyler Eifert got drafted, so where do we get our new Jermichael Finley? Initially I thought OJ Howard out of Alabama might be the guy cause he IS 6'6 250 like Finley, but I look at him, and he doesn't play as fast. Also after the Eddie Lacey debauchle of 2015 and 2016 I wonder if the decision makers may shy away from Alabama players. Where do we get the down the field threat at TE that we need? And for those asking, I was never sold on Cook, and I don't think he moves the needle when he returns from injury, and is gone after this season anyway.

There are still eight games left in the 2016 season, therefore it's way too early to talk about next year's draft. The focus should be on improving the current squad.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey fellow Packer fans,

First we get rid of Ted, Mike and Dom....

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Practice squad lol!! That's where TT likes to fix these issues...hey guys can't catch or get open so let's bring up a guy from the practice squad

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That TE that stretches the field is what Aaron needs and so do the rest of the WR corps
That would be Devon Cajuste on the Practice Squad. 6'-4", 240 lbs 4.62 speed, converted WR.
GB has been searching for a fast, seam splitting TE who can also block for years... time to realize it's probably an either/or and live with it. Lately we've had slow(er) TE's who can kind of block which hasn't really helped the run game much AND it's hindered the pass game.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is good to see peeps are starting to see the forest, not the trees. The problems lie at the WR and TE positions first and foremost, followed by HB, CB and Punter. 8 games left....

Darryl Tincknell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
8 games into an NFL season and we have ONE true running back on our roster..look at the depth chart of any other team in the NFL..most have 3 rb's on their roster that would be serviceable backs in the league..we have zero..Ty is a wide receiver playing running back..Jackson is a guy..Rip is a fullback..ridiculous

OP
OP
R

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is good to see peeps are starting to see the forest, not the trees. The problems lie at the WR and TE positions first and foremost, followed by HB, CB and Punter. 8 games left....

I agree with most of this post. I think long term we're better at CB than you think. Schum had a great day yesterday, I'll need to see more of the same before I disagree with you on him though.

OP
OP
R

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So who are the prospects everyone is looking at for 2017?

1st round running backs are 5-6 deep. If Ted does what he should and goes that way we should get a damn good back. I think we need to steer clear of Fournette and Chubb though. Injuries for Chubb and really inconsistent play for Fournette.

D

Deleted member 6794

A guy who runs 4.9 no less.

So you think the Packers are going to line up at tight end??? ;)

That would be Devon Cajuste on the Practice Squad. 6'-4", 240 lbs 4.62 speed, converted WR.
GB has been searching for a fast, seam splitting TE who can also block for years... time to realize it's probably an either/or and live with it. Lately we've had slow(er) TE's who can kind of block which hasn't really helped the run game much AND it's hindered the pass game.

Cajuste most likely has the speed to stretch a defense as a tight end but is extremely inexerienced at the position.

Schum has improved over the last few weeks and might end up being a decent punter.

I think long term we're better at CB than you think.

With Shields most likely being done for good the Packers are in need of another outside cornerback.

1st round running backs are 5-6 deep. If Ted does what he should and goes that way we should get a damn good back. I think we need to steer clear of Fournette and Chubb though. Injuries for Chubb and really inconsistent play for Fournette.

There's no need to spend a first round pick on a running back. David Johnson and Jay Ajayi are prime examples of elite backs being selected later in the draft.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cajuste most likely has the speed to stretch a defense as a tight end but is extremely inexerienced at the position.
Devon Cajuste is a Biotechnology Major from Stanford... pretty sure he's more than capable of absorbing the nuances of running a route and making the catch from the TE or slot position vs. WR.

If he plays 20 snaps/game, creates mismatches on the 12-15 of his snaps and is targeted 5 times he's worth being activated. Only needs to know 4 or 5 patterns to become dangerous and I'd bet he already knows those patterns as a TE.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That doesn' t mean he's got a decent football IQ.
Perhaps, but a high intelligence is a pretty good indicator of a person's ability to learn new things. Majoring in the sciences at Stanford is a pretty good indicator that he is intelligent.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I like the potential of a guy like Cajuste, until he actually plays a down, I sure wouldn't do what TT has done in the past and hang the Packers future at TE on him. Nor on Richard Rodgers or Perillo. While I was excited about Cook coming to GB and finally being hooked up with a capable QB, we may never get to see enough of him to really know what we have or don't have. Depending on how the rest of his season goes, I would be fine with signing him cheap for another year, but still drafting a TE for the future. When the off season hits, the Packers will most likely be looking for a TE, CB, RB and WR. If TT is still in charge, we can expect that to be through the draft.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I like the potential of a guy like Cajuste, until he actually plays a down, I sure wouldn't do what TT has done in the past and hang the Packers future at TE on him. Nor on Richard Rodgers or Perillo. While I was excited about Cook coming to GB and finally being hooked up with a capable QB, we may never get to see enough of him to really know what we have or don't have.
We, and the Packers, have been dissatisfied with the production at TE for the last 2.5 years! Cook had 6 receptions on 11 targets over the 3 games that he was available, but has been UNavailable much of the preseason and season. Richard Rogers (& Perillo) are marginal at best at blocking as well as receiving ... who IS there for the Packers to hang their future on?

I certainly wouldn't be in a hurry to re-sign Cook as he hasn't been productive OR available in '16. If Angelichio can't get Cajuste up-to-speed in the 9 weeks since he signed to the PS I would be questioning whether Angelichio is any better than Fontenot.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you think the Packers are going to line up at tight end??? ;)

Schum has improved over the last few weeks and might end up being a decent punter.

With Shields most likely being done for good the Packers are in need of another outside cornerback.

There's no need to spend a first round pick on a running back. David Johnson and Jay Ajayi are prime examples of elite backs being selected later in the draft.
Johnson was inexperienced and Ajayi was a criminal in college. The guys coming into the draft aren't nearly as under the radar. I was hoping Montgomery could turn into that guy, but he's so fragile that I don't see that happening.