What's Javon Walker's Fate in 2005?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, his situation seems so much different than McKenzie's. #34 burned bridges and vowed never again to play for GB. Walker isn't yet taking that approach but nonetheless, he stays away from minicamp. Is he on the verge of either forcing a trade or coming to work? I believe Drew Rosenthug is 100% behind this nonsense but Walker has to stand up and report. I think GB would renegotiate the deal sometime this season only if Walker shows he can be at an All-Pro level again. Where is his current situation - is it getting anywhere or simply at a standstill?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect that Thompson is going to wait him out. I get the feeling that no one is interested in redoing his contract right now. They may be willing to do that at the end of next season, but it remains to be seen if Walker and his agent will go along with that. If they won't, Walker won't play this year.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has forced the team into a corner. They can't let that happen or the floodgates would open for re-negotiating contracts. If he had done it right, and was realistic in his demands perhaps the team would have even redone his contract this year. But when he comes in after 2 over paid years and 1 good year saying " I want to be paid like the top 5 recievers" or I won't play, he effectively quashed any chances to re-negotiate.

Had he come to camp, talked to management about how he felt, and was realistic in what he wanted, they would have probably tried to work something out with him. This can actually benefit both sides. The player gets his money earlier which secures his future. The team pays less because they are taking the gamble on injury and the player reaching his expected potential.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand Javon makes about half a million a year and he got a 4.6 million dollar signing. Based on that, he has earned over 6 million dollars in 3 years for over 2 million dollars a year. I would say he has been vastly overpaid his first 3 years.

The number may be off above, but I hope you all get my point. Javon has no gripe.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right Traxx.
The ball is in JW's court.
He can come in and mend his fences with the staff and his teammates or he can sit out and wonder why no one wants to play with him.

Either way the team has moved on.

Once again a professional player has thought that he was bigger than the game.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
I suspect that Thompson is going to wait him out. I get the feeling that no one is interested in redoing his contract right now. They may be willing to do that at the end of next season, but it remains to be seen if Walker and his agent will go along with that. If they won't, Walker won't play this year.

Ted Thompson should push Walker's agent for an answer by July 1st as to whether Walker will commit to report to camp. If not, the Packers should shop for a trade.

Once Walker stays out of camp, his value would drop for any kind of trade.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think his fate is he realizes they mean business and that he's not going to make any money holding out, he plays, and plays well. At least one hopes so.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel that the Packers have no choice but to do what they've been doing with Walker all along...Absolutly nothing.

If he doesn't show up, he sits...No trade, no nothing.

It's a tough pill to swallow for the Pack---

But by "trying to get something" for McKenzie, they now run the risk of setting a "I'll just no show for more money" precident. Time to go hard line.

If Walker doesn't want to play---He needs to be burned. :evil:

No bling-bling, no trade to a team that will cave to his demands...

Hopefully Walker will say: "Okay...I tried me best...Now I've got to play out this one season, and then get paid."

Or we've got to fall on the grenade---For the team and the league. :-?

It's very cut and dry. IMO.

swartzcatz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the Pack can afford to negociate a new contract with Javon. He is worth it, but I would load it with incentive to make sure he earns what he is given. Too many time have we seen players take the money and not produce! It just makes sence to me.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
swartzcatz said:
I believe the Pack can afford to negociate a new contract with Javon. He is worth it, but I would load it with incentive to make sure he earns what he is given. Too many time have we seen players take the money and not produce! It just makes sence to me.

It won't work. It won't happen.

1. They don't have the cap room to renegotiate his contract.
2. If they do his EVERYONE will demand their contract redone as well.
3. If they give him more money now how will they ever have any cap room to work out a deal with Bubba.
4. Rosenhaus would loose face with his current and prospective clients if he had a young and up coming player sign a contract that is heavy on incentives. No player wants those. And usually they are reserved for older players that are making comebacks.
5. GB doesn't want an incentive contract either. They want to know what their bottom line costs are. Not have to guess at them.
6. JW hasn't EARNED a new contract. 2/3 of the time in this current he has preformed below league average. Only 1/3 of the time above the avg. A .333 avg will get you into Cooperstown but not into Canton.

That is why the contract players sign as a rookie is structured this way. Everyone knows that the player is on a learning curve. Teams are willing to over pay including large signing bonuses in the early years with the understanding that the player will be underpaid in the last couple of years of the contract. It all evens out over the contract. When they get to the 2nd contract the player is going to be paid more as he now he won't waste the 1st 2-3 years of the 2nd contract.
The real problem that GB and JW are facing is when JW was a rookie he signed a 5 YEAR deal instead of the typical 4 YEAR deal. They didn't want to redo the deal after 3 yrs. They wanted some team stability. JW and his 1st agent balked at the idea as they knew in a 4 years contract that he could start the process this year. In order to get past the impasse, GB gave him a bigger signing bonus. Now that they are to the 4th yr JW has forgotten the extra bonus and is complaining if he had a 4 yr deal like many others he could renegotiate this year.
If he had another mediocre year last year followed by another this year he wouldn't have given back any of the money.
So he needs to suck it up and put together another Pro Bowl year and THEN he will get the money he wants so bad.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
someone's gotta take a stand against that weasel Rosenhaus. I'm positive the Eagles won't budge to Terrel Owens, I hope the Packers do the same towards Javon Walker if this mess drags into training camp

Members online

Latest posts