WHAT WAS THAT?!??

packerfanfourever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.465151+-
I liked the fake spike play, It should of worked if all the players were on the same page, its alot better than throwing a hail mary into the endzone. The problem i have is why in heck we were not in the hurry up with 6 min left in the game when we went in for our final touchdown. We had cin on the run but used to much time, I just wish sherman would go to the hurry up a little sooner in the fourth when we are behind than we would not have to worry about running out of time. With what Favre has to work with on offense he doing a heck of a job making things happen.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packerfanfourever said:
I liked the fake spike play, It should of worked if all the players were on the same page, its alot better than throwing a hail mary into the endzone. The problem i have is why in heck we were not in the hurry up with 6 min left in the game when we went in for our final touchdown. We had cin on the run but used to much time, I just wish sherman would go to the hurry up a little sooner in the fourth when we are behind than we would not have to worry about running out of time. With what Favre has to work with on offense he doing a heck of a job making things happen.

Excellent point - our Club was jabberin about that, as well..
The thing is - had we been processing as quoted above --- that errant fan would have never had time to jump out there, either.. Don't ya just luv 20/20 hindsight?

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just finished reading this thread and really wonder about some of the posts on here... This game was not lost by Bret Favre, nor was it lost by the coaching staff. The reasons the Pack lost to Cinci are thus:

1. Decimated Starting Line

It is difficult to run a multi-seded offence when your #1 and #2 running backs are out for the season, along with your #1 reciever. You all can say what you want about Fisher, he is in no way percieved as the offensive threat that Green is. As for our passing game, is it any wonder why the Queens put double coverage on Driver last week in the second half? As one poster stated, Mike Tice could figure that one out. We have a one-sided offence with little to no running game. It is actually amazing that last game was as close as it was. You can all thank Bret for that.

2. Interceptions

The Cincinnati defense has been doing extremely well on picks, taking 5 against both da Bears and the Queens. To blame Favre for all 5 taken from him is ridiculous. Luckily, our defense stopped the Bengals from capitalizing on 4 of the 5 turnovers, but they killed the clock and our drives enough to secure a Bengals win. Granted, Favre made some risky plays, but what do you want him to do with the depleted offense he has to work with? Just be glad he spent the off season getting his legs in better shape or we would be looking at a lot more sacks.

3. Poor Clock Management

You can blame Sherman for poor clock management this season. As was posted before, the Pack should have went into hurry-up offense earlier in the 4th. If they had an additional 60 seconds for that last drive, we could have seen a much different outcome.

Now that I have pointed out the Pack's problems, let's look at what they are doing well:

1. Defense

Compared to last season, our defense is greatly improved. Despite having a lot of players starting in their rookie year, we have been very effective at stopping the run. I am quite pleased at what Bates has accomplished with the defense, and it should only get better next season. We also have a few players that should make quite an impact in the coming years (Collins and Poppinga come to mind). And to think some people claimed we had a bad draft...

2. Adaptability

Despite having a decimated starting line, the offence has stepped up and kept the scores close. Driver has proven to be a reliable go-to reciever. Unfortunately, this is a double-edged sword as the defense has a good idea about who is going to get the ball during the critical 3rd and long. The Pack has done an effective job of countering this by spreading the ball around to everyone. This has allowed what appears to be a one-sided offense to be a little more challenging for the defense to figure out. While this doesn't make up for the combined loss of Green and Walker, it has allowed the Pack to remain competitive despite our 1-5 record.

Well that is my take on the Cinci game. I think it is a little more objective than some of the claims of "Favre lost the game single-handedly" or that if we had another 3 seconds on the clock, Bret would have been able to work a miracle despite the problems encounted during the previous 59 minutes. :roll: Furthermore, do you honestly think benching Favre in favour of Rodgers or Nall will bring us any closer to winning the division? That has to be the most ridiculous suggestion I have heard yet: benching Favre during one of his statistically best seasons of his career.

I am still looking forward to Sunday vs. the Steelers, and going to Lambeau on the 21st to watch our revenge on the Queens.

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree with No.2......totally.

I do not (tho') take to using the decimation comment as a wedge....
We "have" the tools out there... Donald Lee focuses just a bit more, and we're 7pts ahead.. Nick Collins learns how to hang onto the ball as well as he does in Practice all week long while grabbing INT's? We're another 7pts ahead. And that's just two instances.....

The talent we have just needs to start believing in themselves, that's all.
Whether or not the Coaching Staff has the hutspa to get them to buy into it?

REMAINS TO BE SEEN.....

Just the same, a great post, Robert C. .....fine words.......

No. 3 is "dead-on"... I cannot improve upon that.

Jim Bates is a true Fritz Shurmur copy on Defense.
Larry Beightol "deserves" to be the Offensive Coordinator in my opinion.
I am highly surprised that he hasn't taken the offers presented to him... from other Teams.
Larry is top-drawer... no question about it.

We'll expect a remote feed report from ya after the Vikings game... :D

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Great post Anubis..

Don't listen to the "fans" that blame Favre for this one..because they really don't know thing one about football and the NFL..

My question is..why hasn't TT signed a better, veteran receiver to compliment and take the pressure off of Driver? There has to be SOMEBODY out there....!!!!

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Great post Anubis..

Don't listen to the "fans" that blame Favre for this one..because they really don't know thing one about football and the NFL..

My question is..why hasn't TT signed a better, veteran receiver to compliment and take the pressure off of Driver? There has to be SOMEBODY out there....!!!!

So fans who are critical of Brett don't know anything about football? Hmmm...so are 5 picks in a game MVP-like numbers?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My question to both of you - is how you can assess all five picks as Favre's fault, alone?

Did you two watch the same game as the rest of us?

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPB... 2 things about pics...

1) Even if not all of them were your fault, I've often felt that the number that you throw is indicative of the way you've been playing...meaning, there were another 2 throws that I can recall that "should have been picked" but were dropped by the dbs.

2) If you're going to look at MS and simplistically say that when a conversion didn't work, or the Packers lost, thus he's stupid, then it's only fair to take Brett's 5 picks at face value as well.

For example...the "draw" play...if you analyze it and defend MS like you would Brett, then you'd realize that it wasn't supposed to be a draw play, Wells' poor snap messed up the play that was supposed to be a run to the right side where the Packers felt they could exploit a weakness, and also manage the clock, minimizing the time MN would have w/ the ball.

But a lot of ppl frustrated w/ MS don't consider this.
Execution is at least as vital as the play calling.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
I
I am still looking forward to Sunday vs. the Steelers, and going to Lambeau on the 21st to watch our revenge on the Queens.

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

I will also be there "Revenge is a meal that tastes better when served cold" I hope we can beat them as hard as possible !!!!!!!!!!!!!

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
Brett cost the Packers the game, no questions asked!

5 picks...at least 3, if not 4 of which were all on his shoulders, and then the last play of the game?!? You thought a draw play was bad?!?

This game is Brett's loss.

i just want to point out that favre is basically throwing to practice squad players. not only that, favre has no running game that defenders need to be aware of. so the only hope of a win land on brett's shoulders!!!!

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
musccy said:

5 picks...at least 3, if not 4 of which were all on his shoulders, and then the last play of the game?!? You thought a draw play was bad?!?

i just want to point out that favre is basically throwing to practice squad players. not only that, favre has no running game that defenders need to be aware of. so the only hope of a win land on brett's shoulders!!!!

He was throwing to the same practice squad vs. NO and MN and no picks.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
IPB...

i never attributed all of those interceptions to Favre....

and Musscy said...

"the "draw" play...if you analyze it and defend MS like you would Brett, then you'd realize that it wasn't supposed to be a draw play, Wells' poor snap messed up the play that was supposed to be a run to the right side where the Packers felt they could exploit a weakness, and also manage the clock, minimizing the time MN would have w/ the ball."

Exactly Musscy!

And the MORONIC thing about that play was that it was called at all!!!
Wells had previously muffed a snap on the drive when Longwell missed the FG...

I want you tell me how Sherman was "smart" in calling a silent snap count from the shotgun position in a noisy, hostile dome with a center who hasn't had much experience with that kind of thing....

now Musscy..do you think it was "wise" to make this call..especially since the same type of thing failed moments before?

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I want you tell me how Sherman was "smart" in calling a silent snap count from the shotgun position in a noisy, hostile dome with a center who hasn't had much experience with that kind of thing....

You know, how do we know Sherman called the play or the silent snap? None of us were there on the field or in the huddle. Maybe Brett or Wells or Rossley or the moron fan from the Bengals game called the silent snap? Perhaps in the huddle Favre told Wells "Were going with a silent count, I want to get these guy while they are on their heels".

Everyone wants to sit and blame people, i.e. Sherman, Rossley (not that I don't agree for the most part) but the fact is, we are still watching it from home on TV, talking about it on a website ( a darn good website - maybe I am biased) and not at the game on the sidelines or up in a skybox analyzing plays. At some point we have to realize we don't know what happens on every play, why each play was called, who's fault it was that Brett threw 5 int's and just freakin support the team.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
True..

i was responding to a question he posed...

yet it was still a "shotgun" snap which they had trouble with before..and "somebody besides Favre" called the play in....

but..

GO PACK GO...

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the fine line I've been trying to walk for a while Ryan. We think the draw play, or 4th and 1, or whatever is so blatantly dumb, but those plays would be forgotten had they succeeded...and, generally, we don't know why a play didn't work. Did a key blocker slip and fall? Did someone have a brain cramp and run the wrong route, was it a poorly thrown ball, a stupid play call?!? Generally speaking, it's very difficult to decipher.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
dhpackr said:
musccy said:

He was throwing to the same practice squad vs. NO and MN and no picks.

Cincy has a better D than MINN or NO

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Musscy...

I'll help you out...

IT WAS A STOOPID PLAY CALL!

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, that audible by Brett to override MS and fake a spike which cost the Packers any chance of winning the game...yes, a very stooopid play call! :D

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GARCIA COST US THE GAME!!!!!!! Oh, sorry wrong message board. Man, we really give it to these veteran qb's when they make a big mistake. I wonder if we give them enough praise when they do well.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
musccy said:
actually, the fan HELPED the pack...it allowed them to huddle up and get organized.

As McCarren and Larevee were saying, unless you gave the Bengals the ball, they couldn't stop the pack...so Brett forces it, and tries to pull a Dan Marino?!?

It did not help the Packers, even Marvin Lewis stated it stopped the Packers momentum when the Bengals could not. Even stated he should slip him a '20' for the favor.

Stoping Packers from moving the ball, giving the defense time to make substitutions ... that doesnt work in the Packers favor one bit.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know that this may be hard for you to grasp..Musscy...

but a fake spike as the last play of the game is a better play than a hail Mary pass with 11 million Bengals in the end zone....

(..not a very high percentage success rate in the NFL---the Hail Mary pass...)

i don't know..maybe SherRossley could have pulled out the old "statue of liberty play" (Hell Rossley could have suited up and ran the play himself..He looks like a big, gawky statue!!..and you might have been happier...at least you couldn't have blamed it on Brett Favre...but somehow..i think you woulda found a way....

"Brett Favre screwed 'em again.." eh Musscy?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
True..

i was responding to a question he posed...

yet it was still a "shotgun" snap which they had trouble with before..and "somebody besides Favre" called the play in....

but..

GO PACK GO...

I'll have to go back and post the article - but I think it was on PackersNews that I read where one of the better plays all day was an option-audible called by Brett... He's still 85% more profitable out there than negative.. can't argue that point.

One thing I disagree with Brett on... is that last play - once the Fan had disrupted things - I would not have tried that play again, in any way.... I would have spiked the ball, period.

Just as the Bengals D was re-engerized - you spike the ball and tell all of 'em to take a chill pill.... throw that timing off again! Our whole room was shaken, not stirred, when he did that....

One Member posted how the Packers weren't the only ones to have five picks against Cincy - Vikings and Bears both had the same thing happen - but the Announcers (can any one say "Fire Bill Maas, please...") were making hay with it left and right... Maas has got to be theee worst Announcer on TV for the NFL.... seriously...

King Wayne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:noflame:
Kill this thread. Ive been reading this same stupid argument from the same people for 3 years now.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King Wayne - joined June 8, 2005

do you know these people away from the message board or something?

Members online

Latest posts