What to do with Casey Hayward?

D

Deleted member 6794

Randall is playing better than expected and I think Rollins will compete for the 1 or 2 spot once Shields' K is done. Sam has tremendous physical talent but he hasn't developed the mental skills needed to keep him relevant as he ages. But before Shields is done in GB Rollins should press Hyde for the nickel, may the best man hold that position.

Shields hasn't performed up to the contract he signed last offseason but as of right now he's the Packers best cover corner. I don't think the team has any intention to get

If Hayward was on the field then he was taking the place of a linebacker in the nickel. Were the Seahawks in a 1/2 set or 1/1? If the latter then Hayward was probably on a receiver. If the former then he was probably responsible for the running back (just guesses on my part).

The Seahawks lined up in a 3 WR, 1 RB, 1 TE set with two receivers on the left, another WR and Graham on the right and Jackson left to Wilson, who was in the shotgun. Taking another look at the play it´s probable Hayward´s assignement was to cover Jackson on the play.

Reaction score
I think on this play they should have had one of our versatile safeties in to cover for that situation if I'm remembering right though I believe that was the drive the Seahawks moved pretty quickly and maybe they were still catching up with match ups but I do remember a play Richardson was guarding Lynch I believe coming out to the right of the back field and was impressed with his coverage and if I remember right made a great tackle. Regardless there were two guys there I believe HaHa was to the left of Hayward so I would imagine him being able to cheat a cut in like that and at least make a break up it was just another one of those what is he thinking like the one to Baldwin. Frustrating as I loved this guy out of college and really was hoping for him to make a huge jump this year there is still time but he has got to make some plays.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
IMO Hayward is what he is. A nickel/dime package inside guy. I was never sold on him on the outside and believe one of our rookies will take his spot by mid-season. I have no problem with Hayward backing up on the outside but not as a "go to starter".

I am sure someone will be lining up to over-pay him when he becomes a free agent.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Casey Hayward on the outside does not look so good to me. I believe he even led the team in missed tackles last Sunday and I recall at least one blown coverage attributed to him.

If this continues, should he be moved back into slot coverage and start the rookie on the perimeter?

He's off to a bad start for sure. Fortunately, we have a trio of young talent cornerbacks poised to replace him if he continues to falter. Competition is a good thing.

My guess is that at some point in the near future, Randall will take Hayward's spot on the outside and Casey will slide back into the slot. Teams will then target the rookie, and it will be up to him to prove that is not a good idea.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The potential problem- at least for the immediate future- is what if guys like Hayward and Shields continue to under perform and the youngsters still aren't ready?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The potential problem- at least for the immediate future- is what if guys like Hayward and Shields continue to under perform and the youngsters still aren't ready?

Hayward maybe but I'm not concerned about Sammie. Shields will be fine. He usually plays very well in big games and although he has been a little inconsistent he is still has very good "coverage skills." I expect Shields to have some real good play coming up. Between Randall, Rollins, and Gunter I am sure somebody will emerge.

I am not worried about Sam Shields.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hayward is a really good slot corner. Ideally, Randall or Rollins become good enough on the outside that Hayward can move back inside. Playing in the slot allows Hayward to utilize his speed and man cover skills.

D

Deleted member 6794

While Shields hasn´t performed up to the contract he signed last offseason he´s still a solid cover corner.

I don't have a subscription to ProFootballFocus, but wasn't Hayward one of the
highest ranked slot CBs last year?

Hayward was actually ranked the 9th best corner overall despite playing only 435 snaps. Taking a look at his performance in the slot he ranked 8th in opponent passer rating allowed and 6th in yards per cover snap in 2014.

H

HardRightEdge

I believe he even led the team in missed tackles last Sunday and I recall at least one blown coverage attributed to him.
Yes, he blew a coverage on Baldwin in the first quarter for 32 yards.

As an aside, this play was typical Collinsworth. It was double-wide left. Shields had the outside receiver; Hayward had Baldwin in the slot. The receivers did not cross or pick to muddy the waters. Shields just followed his man on a short out. Baldwin ran by Hayward. It looked like Hayward was guessing Baldwin would cut to an out route and was jumping that guess on a bet. Instead, Baldwin took the corner angle into the open zone.

Collinsworth's initial take was Shields blew the coverage. OK, mistakes are made. But the replay clearly showed Shields following his man on the out. Collinsworth, rather than correcting himself, offered us, "maybe it was Casey Hayward who was supposed to stay with him". C'mon man. There was no "maybe" involved.

Collinsworth has some interesting insights from time to time, and I get that he gushes over the Packers which some fans appreciate. But there can be a dozen times per game his motormouth takes him into left field, or deep shortstop in any case.

In any case, there are a couple of Hayward takeaways:

1) A cornerback's best day is when the opponent does not throw at him. The day he jumps a route on a guess and lucks into a pick because of a bad route or a poor QB decision is not that day. What distinguishes this route jump from a Woodson jump is the difference between a guess and an informed read.

2) As for the OP, "What to do with Casey Hayward?" The answer is fairly clear in light of the 2017 free agent bubble that's looming, with Daniels' demands and a few guys I'd like to see back (Starks, Neal) digging into the cap carryover war chest. Hyde is signed through 2016, Randall looks promising as a cover corner even if he's not as physical as one would like, Rollins is in the wings, and the UDFAs have shown some things. Somebody else will throw Hayward some money to play nickel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.